DIY bar end plugs
    Kilt wearing, old man

Lightbulb DIY bar end plugs

Inspired by comments in another thread by TouchOGray and 89dk, I decided to try and build a set of cork bar end plugs, capped with a wooden disk. Now I wouldn’t say this was the best way to do this, but I came up with one over a single bottle of Deschutes Brewery’s Cascade Ale.

First, I decided that what was needed would be two slightly used wine corks, a pair of wooden disks close to the diameter of my wrapped handlebars, a couple of brass bolts (or screws) long enough to go through the cork and the wooden disk.

For the disks, I picked up a package of wooden wheels at the craft store. I would have used the next size smaller, but they were out of stock at the time. I also decided that to preserve the wood wheels, spar varnish would do the trick.

A hole was drilled in each cork to allow the bolt to be inserted. And the wheels were coated with the spar varnish.

On each bolt, a brass washer was installed, then the bolt inserted through the wheel hole, and through the hole in the cork, then secured at the other end with a washer and brass nut. The reason for using a brass bolt was for looks and rust resistance as much as anything else. I did have to trim about a inch (7mm) off of each cork due to the cork & wooden wheel length being the same as the bolts I had.

The last step of course was to install the plugs on the handlebars.

Lessons learned A 1 inch wide wooden disk leaves a slight lip when the diameter of your wrapped bar is about 1 inch. And when riding in the drops, you will know where the bar ends are. Also, trimming a inch off of a 1 inch cork still leaves enough cork in the handlebar to hold the plug in place. Unless your hand position on the bar is such that you back out the cork.

But the most important lesson was that you don’t have to settle for store bought bar ends to customize the look of your bike.
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

What the Hell is going on

Great Idea

I would've thought of just using cork with a mushroom top. Great idea. Thanks for sharing.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    very cool... You should market this.. I can think of all kinds of bar ends..Poker chips, coins, model car wheels, ?????
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very cool idea. You have too much time on your hands, however...Then again, I just responded to this post so what does that say about me??? Andy

duh...
    wonder if the cork will degrade... next iteration can be a synthetic cork

Cat 6 rider
    Martha Stewart eat your heart out.
    To the troll mobile, away...

Frog Whisperer
    hehehehehe.....or a cheaper version with a screw top!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2005
    I use corks and road bike tape on almost all of my bikes, it works great. I do it for aesthetics primairly, but I also find that most bar plugs have a lip on them which cuts into one's hand when used on mountain bike bars with road bike bar tape (due to their smaller diameter I guess). And I have tiny hands so I really like the grip to be as thin as possible, even thinner than the thinnest mountain bike grips.

I wrap my mountain bike bars with a slight bulge (thicker/double wrap) at the ends so that I'm super comfy when in my favoured hand position, right at the end, with a bit of my hand hanging off. Using just the cork alone avoids the ridge problem that results from most bar-end plugs. I just jam em in the end of the bar after wrapping, if there is enough of a tail left on the tape than no additional hardware is needed for most corks! (Pics to come)

banned
    I've got 2 champagne corks as plugs on one of my bikes... works pretty well, especially if you save the fancy wire thingy.

Kilt wearing, old man
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    I've got 2 champagne corks as plugs on one of my bikes... works pretty well, especially if you save the fancy wire thingy.
    The only champagne corks I had were the plastic variety. Those were left over from the first wedding of one of my high school classmates. (Her grandmother lived next door and the reception was held in her back yard). However, those plastic stoppers worked real nice on the ends of our old in-pool, pool sweeper.
    When a bike is stolen
    A faerie dies of sadness

Cap'n of Industry
    You know. . . A cordless drill and saw blades / scrapers / files / even knives can make a quick bench top lathe. Some sandpaper to smooth things out and you can blend over any butchery that may occur.

Just trying to add some fuel to this fire here.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PomPilot
    The only champagne corks I had were the plastic variety. Those were left over from the first wedding of one of my high school classmates. (Her grandmother lived next door and the reception was held in her back yard). However, those plastic stoppers worked real nice on the ends of our old in-pool, pool sweeper.
    Well, they aren't actually champagne corks, they're Chimay-style beer corks. The worst part was when I broke one from the first set of corks and had to go and get more beer to finish my project.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by buck-50
    Well, they aren't actually champagne corks, they're Chimay-style beer corks. The worst part was when I broke one from the first set of corks and had to go and get more beer to finish my project.
    kicker is that by the time you perfect the technique, you could be under the table AND have spent as much as on a set of fancy bar-plugs...LOL

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm honored that my bike helped inspire the creative juices; but credit must be given where it is properly due. So thanks to Rivendell Bikes www.rivbike.com/ for keeping the traditional way alive and filling a website with great ideas/knowledge.

dk

RoadBikeReview Member
    [QUOTE=FatTireFred]wonder if the cork will degrade...

Guess you'll just have to keep a supply of corks. Hmmm, what gastric sacrifices must be made to build a stockpile of "bar plugs?" I'll have a glass of pinot tonight and ponder a game plan. I'll advise if I come up with anything.......

dk

Frog Whisperer
    I got a box of cheap chablis in my fridge.....I could fabricate some rolled up cardboard plugs....

Frog Whisperer
    wonder is a bottle cap would fit on the end of the bars?

Frog Whisperer
    I want some spotted cow bar-plugs