a real member's member

found a crack in my prized keeper

i bought this davidson four years ago with the knowledge the original owner ran it into a hay bail during a race and had the fork aligned.

i fell in love with the bike. i rode the hell out of it until last week when i found a down tube crack near the head tube lug. (there was a little buldge there from the wreck.) bill davidson said the downtube and head tube need to be replaced. that sounds really expensive. have any of you done such drastic surgery on any of your vintage lightweights?

i've been searching craigs and ebay for frameset replacements...
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    have any of you done such drastic surgery on any of your vintage lightweights?
    While I haven't performed such repairs myself, I did have a wrecked, lugged frame repaired after being hit by a car. Everything in front of the seat tube was replaced. It can be done and depending on how much you like the frame, it can be worth it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It sounds as you've been in contact with Davidson, didn't he quote a price or put you in touch with someone who could do it?
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    It sounds as you've been in contact with Davidson, didn't he quote a price or put you in touch with someone who could do it?
    he did put me in contact with someone. i haven't received any quotes yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    I did have a wrecked, lugged frame repaired... Everything in front of the seat tube was replaced.
    wow.

how is it now vs pre-wreck?
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    he did put me in contact with someone. i haven't received any quotes yet.
    wow.
    how is it now vs pre-wreck?
    My mate had a frame with similar damage. he got it back and it rode better than it did pre-crash. Things were all realigned. It's well worth it if the frame fits and you don't mind paying for a repaint. Great looking bike BTW.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2018
    I had to replace the top tube of my Marinoni after a woman opened her car door into me as I was riding by. I got it back from Marinoni good as new!
    I would do it you really enjoy the ride of that frame. I've built a few bikes up with his frames and they are uber nice!

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    ... if the frame fits and you don't mind paying for a repaint.
    yeah, it gets rather expensive when you include paint.

i had a frame powder coated for under $200, but the lug work on this one is so intricate, i'm not sure i could go that route.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't know who Davidson directed you to but Mark Bulgier who posts at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/internet-bob was, I am pretty sure, a builder at Davidson. I don't know what he is doing for others but it looks like he still has his hands in brazing bits for and on bicycles. He also has a flicker account.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/613121...h/25427010052/

And he's up there in the Pacific NW. Maybe Seattle.
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    My mate had a frame with similar damage. he got it back and it rode better than it did pre-crash. Things were all realigned.....
    OTOH, with a newly-aligned frame, it might have more trail than before, and might not handle the way it used to. Just sayin'......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    My guess is with a little patience, you will be able to find another Davidson for less than a complete front end rebuild and paint would cost. I guess it depends on the sentimental value to you or if itís a custom fit.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    I don't know who Davidson directed you to but Mark Bulgier who posts at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/internet-bob was, I am pretty sure, a builder at Davidson. I don't know what he is doing for others but it looks like he still has his hands in brazing bits for and on bicycles. He also has a flickr account. And he's up there in the Pacific NW. Maybe Seattle.
    thanks. i know that name from his website with all the catalogue pages, including davidson.

bill asked me to email cyclefab. cyclefab responded that they don't replace tubes, but gave me another recommendation. when told of that news, bill mentioned he would ask a friend of his.

Quote Originally Posted by hfc View Post
    My guess is with a little patience, you will be able to find another Davidson for less than a complete front end rebuild and paint would cost.
    this is what i'm thinking as well.

Out riding.
    It may just be cheaper and easier to find a new frameset unless you're really emotionally attached to this bike it doesn't make sense to rebuild this frame.

a real member's member
    i was too worried about tubing replacement and paint cost, so i bought a replacement frameset today off ebay. it's a red '80s falcon with 531c, for just over $300 shipped. a friend bought the exact same frame in the next bigger size recently, and it looked pretty decent. this will be my second falcon -- i have a '73 as well. i guess i've developed a soft spot for the marque.

maybe one day i'll run across another davidson in my size. it was the very best.