Freewheel removal
    Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007

Freewheel removal

Okay, worse case scenario; from craigslist; freewheel is attached to a hub was cut out of the wheel. The hub is trashed but I could use the Suntour 13-24 freewheel @ $17. Can I just put the hub in a vice and attach a long pry bar to the removal tool?

Decrepit Member
    It's a shame the spokes were cut.

The usual procedure is to put the removal tool in a vise, then fit the freewheel to the removal tool and grasp the rim with both hands 180 degrees apart and start turning the rim.

With the hub cut out of the wheel, I'd try the same procedure but use a 30" long steel rod wired to hub spoke holes to give you the same leverage as the rim would have had.
    -Stan
    my bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooper View Post
    It's a shame the spokes were cut.

The usual procedure is to put the removal tool in a vise, then fit the freewheel to the removal tool and grasp the rim with both hands 180 degrees apart and start turning the rim.

With the hub cut out of the wheel, I'd try the same procedure but use a 30" long steel rod wired to hub spoke holes to give you the same leverage as the rim would have had.

Why not just put the hub in a vise a squeeze until it's tight with the freewheel facing up, put the hub removal tool in the freewheel and use a crescent wrench on the freewheel tool?

You'll have to press down on the tool so it doesn't slip out and round off the nubs on the tool or inside the freewheel (sucks this is a Suntour Freewheel cause the puller doesn't sink that far in making this process easier)

The hub is Junk... at least that's what the OP is saying.... so squeeze that mama down till it stops moving in the vise and have at it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    If you get a chance... follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason' at http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    If the hub is junk do like scooper said but just grab the hub with a pipe wrench.

Probably be best to hold the tool in place with the quick release so it doesn't slip and strip the freewheel.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Soak in penetrating oil, try a little judicious application of heat - alloy expands at a very different rate to steel. But not too much as it may change the temper in the freewheel you just want to open enough of a gap to allow the penetrating oil to do its work. I use handwarmers a lot while jamming the opposing metal with ice, only once was I ever forced to use a blow torch (on an Ti frame with a stuck alloy seat post). Be patient and let the oil do its work over a day or two. If its small enough just try and freeze the whole unit, then gently warm the freewheel? Possibly soak it all in an automotive penetrating oil (its cheep) then into a tupperware to keep the wife happy and into the freezer? then the vice, then the c clamp to hold the removal tool, then the breaker bar or whatever, then a few friends to help pull, then the beer...