French front braze-on derailleur options - Peugeot
    old school drop out

French front braze-on derailleur options - Peugeot

I have an early '80s Peugeot frame that uses a Simplex braze-on front derailleur which is quite different from the Campy (and current) style (see the image below). The frame has a threaded hole on the seat tube where the derailleur mounts (the frame has a reinforcement around the hole that extends 3-4 mm out from the frame that prevents a clamp derailleur from being used.

I'm likely gong to build the frame up with more modern components (I'm aware of the various issue with unique French frame dimensions). In order to do this I need to figure the FD options.

1. If I use an old Simplex derailleur, will it shift a Campy 10 speed or Shimano 9-speed drivetrain without too many issues?

2. Is there a "Problem Solver" adapter that allows the use of the more standard braze-on derailleur? I did not find anything searching in English, but maybe a device exists in France?

Any other options that you guys can think of? I don't plan on modify the frame, so I don't want to file down the fitting that the Simplex derailleur would attach to.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Try a Shimano direct mount MTB derailleur. The mount looks similar.

Or an E type that mounts to the bottom bracket cup.

That's all I can think of. Try EBay for the proper fd. You can set up a notification if one gets listed.

old school drop out
    Hmmm... it does look a lot like the MTB direct mount. I'll have to look into that. Thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I have the same French style, derailleur mount on my Peugeot PSV. I've only seen such used mostly on Peugeot production race bikes models made from the early to the mid 80's. I've seen them on Gitanes, but mostly on Pro team bikes used in big races like the TDF by the likes of LeMond, Fignon and Hinault when they all rode for the Gitane factory team in the 80's, Unfortunately, the derailleur mount style did not catch on and was pretty much gone after the mid 80's. Mavic made front derailleurs with the French style mount but they positioned the slot a little lower on the derailleur, so on Peugeots with the French style mount, the Mavic FD ends up a little bit too high and a bit too far away from the crank's big ring, unless one uses a bigger diameter than usual, 53T and bigger ring.
    There's only a threaded boss on the seat tube that may be in the way of using a more typical banded front derailleur. You might be able to find one that has the clamping band high or low enough on it that it will miss the FD mounting boss. Otherwise, you might have to just stay with the Simplex front derailleur the bike came with, as I don't know of any "fixes" existing out there. Just buy a spare for the future, in case you are worried about the original eventually breaking/wearing out. Enough of them, NOS or used, still pop up at eBay these days for very reasonable prices.
    I only know of Simplex and Mavic supporting this French front derailleur mounting style. Unfortunately their mounting slots don't match with the Mavic having it's mounting slot on the derailleur a bit lower than the Simplex, so the Mavic FD usually ends up a bit too high and far away from the big ring even at its lowest position on the slot, unless you have a 53T and bigger ring.

old school drop out
    Thanks Chombi. Yeah, the frame is a Peugeot CFX-10. I'll look at different band mounts and see if anything will work.

I did look at the direct-mount MTB deraillers, and it looks like their mounting position is not the same as the Simplex. They might mount to the frame, but would also be positioned incorrectly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    There are two Gipiemme for Simplex braze on front derailleurs on Ebay right now.

rayms
    Sep 2013
    How many brands of front derailleur were made to fit on this type on braze on and what year did this braze on first appear?