Help with identifying Merkyx Year Model
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Help with identifying Merkyx Year Model

Hi all,
    I have come across a local collector who is wanting to unload several Merkyx re conditioned frames/ builds, Any idea what year this frame may be?

Thanks,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by arc angel adventures; 09-02-2012 at 06:16 AM. Reason: add pics

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    need serial numbers on the underside of the bottom bracket. There should be numbers and or letters on both sides down there. Take some good (in focus) closeup pics

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    ^^^what he said. The groupset appears to be 90-91'ish but that doesn't mean much for the frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    On the non drive side of the bottom bracket, it's stamped "Z". I'm thinking that means 1985 build date and the frame appearance is similar to my 85 Pro bike. On the drive side it looks like I see a 2 which usually would mean the last digit of the frame size meaning a 52cm frame. That looks like a small frame to me and could possibily be a 52?
    On that same drive side, look carefully for any other numbers and or letters. That is the side of the bottom bracket that usually contains the model designation of the frame. Sometimes it's pretty hard to see. On my frame, I actually didn't notice a stamped "P" until I had stripped the frame (which I'm not asking, just mentioning that sometimes it's hard to see).
    Check below to view where I am getting this information. Also I see a Columbus sticker on it but can't read it. What does it say? SL? SLX? something else? The fact that the drive chain stay is chromed is helpful also.
    EDIT: I'm gonna guess that's had a repaint also so the Columbus logo could be anything really. It's missing a few standard decals (Made in Belgium on down tube and a image logo on the seat tube) The dropouts have too much paint on them for a 20+ year old frame and even if it's not 20 years old, it's still got a few miles on it. The fork logo's are not painted as typically they are. All the Merckx cast in logs's are usually detailed with different paint color.

Eddy Merckx Serial Numbers
    Last edited by martinrjensen; 09-02-2012 at 08:03 AM. Reason: spelling a nd ommision errors

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I'm gonna guess it's in the 83-84 timeframe.. is it SL or SLX? the 84 SLX was Blue and White, I remember almost getting that one.. the BB frame gussets were a nice touch. Love that bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks guys! I really appreciate the info. The collector has several of these re conditioned bikes he wants to trade me for some current models. Any idea what this particular bike is worth since it is reconditioned and not with original stickers? I would like to work something out but don't want to get duped.

RoadBikeReview Member
    here you go: Eddy Merckx Serial Numbers "Z" would point to '85.

(and it's MERCKX)
    We just don’t realize the most significant moments of our lives when they’re happening
    Back then I thought “well there'll be other days”
    I didn’t realize that was the only day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9yrupye7B0

There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?
    One.
    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

old school drop out
    Quote Originally Posted by arc angel adventures View Post
    Any idea what this particular bike is worth since it is reconditioned and not with original stickers? I would like to work something out but don't want to get duped.
    Check "completed" auctions on eBay for an estimate - and make sure that the frame actually sold, not just the price that was asked. It seems like Merckx with the flat crown forks tend to sell for a bit more. Components matter, and size matters (a 52cm frame will have less demand than a 56cm frame as fewer people fit it).

RoadBikeReview Member
    i thought 9 speed DA appeared in 1996 ?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    The Dura Ace group was put on after frame was reconditioned as the original campy group was not in good working order.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    If you want a price, I would say in the neighborhood of $800.00 as is IMO.
    It's a Merckx (+) a lot of Merckx collectors out there
    it's complete (-) complete bikes sell for less then the parts almost always
    it's got a new paint job (+) nuf said
    it's got decals on it(+) Looks good and authentic from a distance
    it doesn't appear to have either a complete decal set or possibly it's the incorrect set (-) important to collectors, this will limit their interest IMO
    chrome chain stay means it's probably not the bottem end model (+) collectors will note this, others just looking for a nice bike probably won't notice the significance

Not Banned
    no way in hell that is early 80s merckx
    fork is wrong and cables are going under the BB

early 80s flat crown fork with one type of Merckx Logo, later mid 80s flat crown different Merckx Logo
    That bike looks late 80s to early 90s to me

this is early 80s Merckx
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Not Banned

details

of Early Merckx, mine is transitional from 1st Type to 2nd type
    First Gen had different Logo (Script) on top of fork crown
    note cable routing over the BB

my estimate on mine is 81-83 (guessing 82)

the new fork started in 85, so that is as early as yours can be
    Z was an 85 number but those don't always go correct
    by my letter / number my bike is dated as 90s
    Last edited by atpjunkie; 09-07-2012 at 05:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2007
    I can't tell what the forks look like (flat or sloped like mine) but the bottom bracket looks exactly like my 1985 753 Professional model. Everything else looks just like my 85 model also that I can tell. The pictures are a little fuzzy and as I said I really can't tell what the shape of the fork crowns are like. Mine are sloped

Not Banned

Fork looks sloped

Quote Originally Posted by martinrjensen View Post
    I can't tell what the forks look like (flat or sloped like mine) but the bottom bracket looks exactly like my 1985 753 Professional model. Everything else looks just like my 85 model also that I can tell. The pictures are a little fuzzy and as I said I really can't tell what the shape of the fork crowns are like. Mine are sloped
    I say 85 is a safe guess based on the (sometimes reliable) serial info.

BB shell looks mid to late 80s

WA outdoor enthusiast
    Mar 2002
    So the obvious question is, "What sizes does this collector have in his EM reconditioned frame inventory?"