How much can you rely on date stamps?
    RoadBikeReview Member

How much can you rely on date stamps?

I have a bike from the 70's that I bought from the local original owner. Everything checks out but some date stamps are not always consistant. I read that Campy and Italian builders of the time didn't rotate their stock so dates could be off by a year... or three. Also, over the years I'm sure things like hubs got rebuilt and small parts are rather generic, easily mixed and commonly reused.

We're dead certain that the bike was bought new Spring '75 and does have 1975 features and decals. However, some things are still contradictions. It has the original rear derailer but it's a Pat 72. The hub lockwashers range from '71 to '74.

In summary, how important are these little details? Are they telling or just common for old bikes in general and Italian in particular? You know, it was just a freakin lockwasher to the benchjockey back then... but now it's an issue to a potential buyer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2005
    Last edited by caterham; 02-25-2008 at 10:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Great read and thanks!

If a bike has been ridden over 33 years, everything is not going to be exactly like it was when delivered. Bearings go bad, rims get damaged and other stuff just plain wears out. A bike with a history is far more interesting than someone's garage queen.