I think i have a Holdsworth
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020

I think i have a Holdsworth

I came across this bike and i am trying to figure out what it is. I think it is a Holdsworth based on some google image searches but i would love some more insight on that. Also trying to figure out what it is worth as-is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Regardless, it's got good quality Campagnolo dropouts, and it's plated under the paint Most likely Reynolds 531 if it's British. If it's straight, worth at least $250 even with the mismatched crap on it. Strip it down and check it out. Get an accurate weight, too.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2020
    What is the best way to strip the paint without damaging anything further? Chemicals or some sort of abrasive?

Also, I was able to find the serial number after removing the cable guide from the bottom. 261?? so it appears to be a '59 Holdsworth. Not sure if there are different models, I didn't see any on the linked website. thank you for sharing that.
    Last edited by jefflinde; 02-20-2020 at 04:20 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Before you go stripping the paint just give the existing paint a good cleaning, if that's the original paint there may be some worth in leaving it.

Also check the steerer for a number, according to this Frame Serial Numbers
    Too old to ride plastic

Russian Troll Farmer
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflinde View Post
    What is the best way to strip the paint without damaging anything further? Chemicals or some sort of abrasive?

Also, I was able to find the serial number after removing the cable guide from the bottom. 261?? so it appears to be a '59 Holdsworth. Not sure if there are different models, I didn't see any on the linked website. thank you for sharing that.
    That bike is so obviously 1980's. The color looks a lot like "Bianchi celeste", too. The "Gios Professional" sticker led me to a google search, and I ended up with this:
    https://cocosvariety.com/products/gi...professional-1
    It even has the same sticker. It's definitely Italian, not British. Do NOT strip the paint, you will ruin the value. This would make a good restoration project, and one which should not be done by an amateur.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's no Gios, and the wrap around seat stays leads me to believe it's British not Italian. The finish on the stays at he dropouts look like Reynolds factory shaped ends.

The lugs at the head tube look like they were thinned, which means there was some handwork done on this frame. That and the chrome work make me think that this bike is a little more than "garden variety".
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    The color looks a lot like "Bianchi celeste", too.
    On my screen it looks much too blue for that.

Boobies!
    I'm inclined to think British as well--and there were a number of British makers who used those flattened wrapover stays for a time--Falcon, Holdsworth, Claud Butler, Bob Jackson etc. In the case of Falcon (that I know a bit about), the early '60s bikes used an unflattened wrapover, that changed to a flattened one in the late '60s, and my racing compadres that had the similar generation of Holdsworth Professionals (classic orange and blue) had the identical flattened wrapover and Davis (Cinelli-style) fork crown as my Falcon San Remo (1970). The use of the Campy 1010s with the fork eyelets also suggest a Brit bike (since it rains there!).

If you want to poke around (especially if you can find a serial number on the fork steerer, or on the bottom bracket, maybe rear dropout), look at the late Mr Kilgariff's page that covers everything Holdsworth. Be warned that the history is complicated between store and factory bikes etc. (Site uses flash to activate lh side buttons):

https://nkilgariff.com/
    Last edited by paredown; 03-14-2020 at 08:16 AM.
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    the wrap around seat stays leads me to believe it's British .
    Yes..
    “Every time the US ‘saves’ a country, it converts it into either an insane asylum or a cemetery.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    . Do NOT strip the paint, you will ruin the value. .
    There's no value in it as is rusting away! Owner has no choice. If he wants to save the frame then he has to re-finish it.

Which is a shame, he'll lose the decaling if it still exists. Maybe someone's making reproduction sets.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holdsworth
    Last edited by tungsten; 08-10-2020 at 08:20 PM.
    “Every time the US ‘saves’ a country, it converts it into either an insane asylum or a cemetery.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jefflinde View Post
    What is the best way to strip the paint without damaging anything further?
    Any hardware store stripper will do. Odds are it's an enamel and will bubble right up and can be handily scrapped off with a putty knife and scouring pad.

Chemicals or some sort of abrasive?
    The cleanest way to remove rust is in a blasting cabinet.
    Because it's been chrome plated caution should be used when blasting in case it's only partially chromed and the edges of the chrome are "feathered" in.
    So in your case walnut shells instead of glass bead should be used as blasting medium.

You really should take it to a professional bike refinisher and let them do the whole job though.

Last edited by tungsten; 08-10-2020 at 08:28 PM.