Mystery frame. Please help.
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011

Mystery frame. Please help.

Trying to identify the maker of this frame. Its stickered Reynolds 531 designer select. Serial number TN0109 on both frame and fork. Forks weigh 700g and the frame is approx 1850g. Campagnolo drop outs. Paint seems original. 68mm BB. It came with a campagnolo triomphe seat post and headset which seem original. Its a nice frame and would be good to decal it correctly if i can when i rebuild. It all kinda depends on someone recognising the serial number pattern i think. Cheers. Jonny.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mystery frame. Please help.-frame3.jpg   Mystery frame. Please help.-fullsizerender.jpg   Mystery frame. Please help.-frame1.jpg   Mystery frame. Please help.-fullsizerender-1-.jpg   Mystery frame. Please help.-img-2312.jpg  

Mystery frame. Please help.-img-2313.jpg  

a real member's member
    it would help to know the threading of the headset and bb. usually, the triomphe headset locknut will show the threading (italy, english, etc.).

the classic &vintage section of bikeforums.net can provide more help.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for reply. The locknut says 'British' and although i haven't confirmed it the width of the BB being 68mm made me think it was British also. (I think Italian BBs are 70mm?). Im in the UK (Scotland) so having British threads isn't a surprise but the Reynolds designer select frameset combined with Campagnolo dropouts and parts makes me think its a bespoke build. It may have just been for a club rider with a specific wish list but its certainly not an off the peg frame. Thanks for the name of the other forum. Ive tried on Retrobike but no luck there. jonny.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by baronsouthside View Post
    Trying to identify the maker of this frame. Its stickered Reynolds 531 designer select. Serial number TN0109 on both frame and fork. Forks weigh 700g and the frame is approx 1850g. Campagnolo drop outs. Paint seems original. 68mm BB. It came with a campagnolo triomphe seat post and headset which seem original. Its a nice frame and would be good to decal it correctly if i can when i rebuild. It all kinda depends on someone recognising the serial number pattern i think. Cheers. Jonny.
    Not many bikes back in the 70s-80s had fastback seat stays, so that narrows it down.

The plastic cable guide screwed on the BB shell as well as the serial number is more typical of a production bike, rather than a one off.

Lug work is nice enough to be built by hand. But 531, "designer select," Campy dropouts, lesser gruppo Triomphe components, looks like a run of production bikes.

The fork crown and 3 top tube cable guides were standard in the late 70s to early 90s. Before then it was 2 guides or stainless steel clamps.

That front derailleur hanger also came up in the late 70s, as builders overcame their anxiety about over-cooking the tubes attaching braze-ons.
    Last edited by Fredrico; 1 Week Ago at 06:08 AM.