Seems like a good deal.

2K views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  colker1 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Nice bike

the bull said:
Did I miss something here?
Cant figure why no one else bid on it?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7104856229&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6
I think I am going to tear it down and use the parts for other projects.

I think the seller started the bidding too high and scared everyone off, that along with the common rider not recognizing the significance of the De Rosa name.

The seller, while being honest, may have brought too much attention to the mix and age of parts, warding off any collector.

I think it is a little high for the "non-original" condition. If it is going to be something to keep and ride on a regular basis, I would want to upgrade a few things, bringing the price even higher.

With that said, I bet it will be a very nice ride. Are you planning on keeping it as it is? I have a late 80's/early 90's Bianchi that I have built up with retro mix of Campy stuff. I am not really happy with it so I am considering making it a project bike and hanging new stuff on it to see how it would compare with new steel frames. I am curious how low I can get a vintage bike to weigh in without breaking the bank.

Have fun, again, very nice looking bike.

#3 ·
#5 ·
I agree with the opening bid being too high....

I sell a few things on there. I usually try to start the opening bid of my auctions out low so I can see what the current market value is of the item I am trying to get rid of. It's a little more risky, but it is also more fun to sit back and watch the auction. Just don't get yourself into a bind and set the auction for a shorter time frame. At least make it a 5 or 7 day auction. Stay away from the 3 day auctions unless you set your opening bid higher.

With all that being said, I am also looking for something like this on Ebay. A steel bike with down tube shifters that I can rebuild this Winter and enjoy next Spring and Summer. Are there usually good deals on these lesser known bike manufacturers out there on Ebay? What are some of the better brand named road bikes to look for? I can usually spot a good project MTB out there, but when it comes to road bikes, I haven't got a clue what is good and what is bad.

#6 ·
re; DeRosa

the bull said:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7104856229&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOAB:US:6
I *think* that this auction got some talk on another msg. board I lurk on frequented by "vintage snobs" (but very knowledgable types) and the scuttlebutt was that it was NOT the product of Ugo DeRosa (the MAN) but built later by some other shop who inherited/bought the name. So it's not the holy grail that that sort wants to drool over, but is it a 'bad bike", I doubt it! More than I would spend, but I'm cheap...if you're happy with it, even to tear down and part out, then you're happy.

#7 ·
I am not sure yet.

I want to see.I might keep it together.
If I do keep it I will take the Super Record cranks off.
They just dont look right on there to me.
I would put the smooth C Record ones on there.
I would like to at least like to make it look somewhat correct , at least some one like me.
Can anyone tell what year any of these componets are?
I would like to stay in the 89 range.
I think the last year they made super record was 87, Right?

#8 ·
you may have mixed their views around ....

It's no secret that most De Rosa's in the last 25 years were not actually built by Ugo but unlike many larger names De Rosa's are built inhouse and Ugo and his 3 sons oversee all of the production and are very active in terms of maintaining quality and being involved in all aspects of production. One of Ugo's sons does a good deal of the actual building and you have about a 1 in 5 chance of having a frame actually built by someone with a De Rosa name and 100% chance of having a De Rosa involved in the production of any frame. Up unitl the recent advent of carbon stays and forks where production is sourced most every De Rosa has been built and assembled in house. There is no other place that has rights or that makes De Rosa's and the De Rosa product and name is still very much in the family's hands.

If you would like to certify that this eBay De Rosa is an actual item email Christiano De Rosa with specifics (serial #, panto'ing, size etc etc) and he will let you know.

My opinion is that it likely is the real thing but the reason the price never moved from other bidders is because the seller didn't show any simple thing like the "De Rosa" pantographing on the seat stay caps, or the hearts on the brake bridge, bottom bracket etc etc. A newly painted frame with fresh mismatched decals and a later (to my eyes ugly) primato fork with no distinguishing features should have a few detailed pics of the frame so as to confirm it's claim of being a De Rosa. The seller took lots of pics but failed to show much. People don't care for text, they trust their eyes. He stuffed up even in not showing clearly it had high flange campy hubs - if a bidder has to enlarge all the details into photoshop it doesn't inspire confidence.

Had this bike had an original square fork crown with the correct pantographing shown it would have far exceeded it's final value. People in the market for a steel De Rosa are savvy enough to know that the fork fitted devalues the bike overall and there are less original forks out there than there are frames. Even at $750 shipped it's still a good buy but I'll agree that at the end of the season with winter ahead it's value is in that of the parts. I know the brakes ain't C-record which makes me doubt whether the seatpost and other parts may be as claimed although most appear correct to the seller's claims.

Som people are also wary of repaints on recent vintage frames, I am. It's hard to tell if it has been wrecked and if any tubes have been replaced. For the most part if it has then generally it isn't an issue in terms of how it rides as most people who do repairs are quite competant but original finish and workmanship only happens once and is gone forever once changed. My preference is for original and my De Rosa has a few little oversights in typical italian quality of the time but I also know, and have had confirmed by Christiano, that it was actually built by Ugo's hands and that for me is it's value. I've ridden better bikes but have rarely ridden bikes made the by name on the downtube. I could name only a handful of people who can claim to have an actual bike built by Faliero Masi, Ernesto Colnago, Cino Cinelli et al ...... therein lies the value of small independant builders and many American framebuilders. Every Richard Sachs bike has been made by Richard Sachs.

I would ask De Rosa (explain to them you have an original frame) about the possibility of having the correct fork made or whether they may have any to suit. Even if it costs $250 you would still be ahead of what it would be worth and then to my mind I wouldn't touch a thing except swapping the stem for a non-ahead style Cinelli or some TTT stuff which is what would have come on it were it a complete bike from the factory. Or look around on eBay for a correct fork to suit with a long enough steerer ... I recall one selling just recently. Still costs some to have it painted and/or chromed to match.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=56196&item=7104668930

The wheels do sound cool though and the detail of the lugs and their shape looks right to my eyes. I like the way it looks and the parts are a good mix. You have bought well. There is no such thing as a De Rosa frameset that is made without the involvement of Mr. and Mrs. De Rosa and their 3 sons as this is what their reputation and the value of their bikes is based upon.

Interestingly, the seller failed first time around. He really shot himself in the foot by listing both auctions with either crappy or wrongly chosen details. I feel sorry for him but happy for you. Fit that baby with the right fork and stem/headset and you have one very nice classic.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7298&item=7102986789

ciao

p.s. yes Mr. Hickey ... I know, I know .... pics are coming :p

#11 ·
the bull said:
What kind of brakes are these they look "aero".
Are the levers c record.
I guess I can take better pics when I get it.
Is there a good campy time line on a website somewhere?
I could also see the "De Rosa" pantographing in this pic.
the front brake looks a monoplanar to me. nice, modern early 90's. the super record crank is as good as it gets! don't take away anything except fork, stem, headset. if you get yourself a boxcrown derosa fork, you'll be as gold as it can be.

#12 ·
Colks is correct about the levers and brakes.

Them hubs is NR/SR record high flanges too.

The pantographing on the seat stay caps looks correct even though it's a little hard to make out. The right fork and a new stem/headset and your puzzle is complete and very much a classic. I really like the choice of parts on it otherwise.

ciao

#13 ·
cheers Flavio

I can't help but smile each time I see your signature. If it's released near you I would recommend seeing The Life and Death of Peter Sellers. Great film and quite some insight. Geoffrey Rush is a genius.

ciao

#14 ·
A few notes

the bull said:
Just a few things that I picked up, not trying to be picky or anything, and I am not saying it isn't worth $700.

Most DeRosa's of this vintage that were imported into the USA had SLX tubing (esp. in larger sizes) and most had both chainstays (but not seatstays) chromed. Chromed seatstays are shown in the catalog.

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/de_rosa-88/

The chainstay decals appear to be too large.

It is missing the top tube decals.

Models with this headtube decal had similar stripes on the top, seat, and downtubes.

Not having the original fork really brings down the value.

The rear derailleur at best is Chorus. It is clearly not C Record.

The seatpost at best is Chorus. The C Record aero post had a distinctive top portion and more setback.

The brake levers are Cobalto, which are quite common, they have no quick release. They were not designed for these calipers.

The calipers are Chorus Monoplaners at best. The Monoplaners were available up until recently with the Veloce groupo. Of course C Record calipers were either Cobalto or Delta, but by '88 most were Delta.

I doubt if the cogset is Record. I could be wrong, but I remember Campy freewheels of this vintage being lightweight Al, and very expensive.

It is hard to see the shifters, but the oval shape suggests that they are not C Record.

The front derailleur is Chorus at best. C Record did not have that notch portion in the front.

I can't tell from the pictures what else the seller has lied about, but it would be enough to turn off many buyers.

It does have a flat front tire though...

#15 ·
Spirito said:
I can't help but smile each time I see your signature. If it's released near you I would recommend seeing The Life and Death of Peter Sellers. Great film and quite some insight. Geoffrey Rush is a genius.

ciao
cars, babes.. and the best acting a film camera can witness.
sellers may be the best part of the sixties, which may be the best part of last century.
and then there was chaucey gardener... . i heard sellers is responsible for the pace of the movie, it was all filmed and edited around his timing.. what a giant.

#16 ·
unchained said:
Just a few things that I picked up, not trying to be picky or anything, and I am not saying it isn't worth $700.

Most DeRosa's of this vintage that were imported into the USA had SLX tubing (esp. in larger sizes) and most had both chainstays (but not seatstays) chromed. Chromed seatstays are shown in the catalog.

http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/de_rosa-88/

The chainstay decals appear to be too large.

It is missing the top tube decals.

Models with this headtube decal had similar stripes on the top, seat, and downtubes.

Not having the original fork really brings down the value.

The rear derailleur at best is Chorus. It is clearly not C Record.

The seatpost at best is Chorus. The C Record aero post had a distinctive top portion and more setback.

The brake levers are Cobalto, which are quite common, they have no quick release. They were not designed for these calipers.

The calipers are Chorus Monoplaners at best. The Monoplaners were available up until recently with the Veloce groupo. Of course C Record calipers were either Cobalto or Delta, but by '88 most were Delta.

I doubt if the cogset is Record. I could be wrong, but I remember Campy freewheels of this vintage being lightweight Al, and very expensive.

It is hard to see the shifters, but the oval shape suggests that they are not C Record.

The front derailleur is Chorus at best. C Record did not have that notch portion in the front.

I can't tell from the pictures what else the seller has lied about, but it would be enough to turn off many buyers.

It does have a flat front tire though...
the seller did mention a repaint... do you mean the repaint went bad or suspect it's a fake?
as for the parts, i still feel good about the combo and price.

#17 ·
Repaint

colker1 said:
the seller did mention a repaint... do you mean the repaint went bad or suspect it's a fake?
as for the parts, i still feel good about the combo and price.
Since it is missing the original fork, I suspect that it was crashed at some point.

Re the repaint, it was obviously not done to a restoration standard. The trouble is, with the description and photos you cannot tell if it is a fake or not until it arrives at the door.

One other point I forgot to mention, Super Record BB's had a Ti axle and were prone to breaking. When I purchased a SR Groupo it came with a Nouvo Record BB. I doubt if the BB is SR.

#19 ·
Come to think of it, the derailuers look like Athena too. Athena was a group below Chorus in the late '80's, not bad stuff but not quite the same as the higher end Campy. I actually have a complete group on my road bike. I worked in a shop and traded my 2-year-old DuraAce for a nearly new Athena group when a customer couldn't stand the stuff.

#20 ·
unchained said:
Since it is missing the original fork, I suspect that it was crashed at some point.

Re the repaint, it was obviously not done to a restoration standard. The trouble is, with the description and photos you cannot tell if it is a fake or not until it arrives at the door.

One other point I forgot to mention, Super Record BB's had a Ti axle and were prone to breaking. When I purchased a SR Groupo it came with a Nouvo Record BB. I doubt if the BB is SR.

why suspect a crash when so many people trade their steel forks for the "comfort" of carbon? if a crash is bad enough to destroy a fork, it will most likely take it's toll on top and down tube.. i believe you are being too pessimistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.