Tommasini - what do I have here, and what's up with that seat tube decal?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014

Tommasini - what do I have here, and what's up with that seat tube decal?

I purchased this recently and would like some information from any of the Tommasini aficionados out there. It has no tubing decals or serial number anywhere obvious. From the age of the parts and style of frame pump pegs, it seems to be a late-70's or early-80s model. It includes an odd mix of Dura-Ace and Campagnolo Record, with a Zeus crankset, Modolo brake levers and Mavic downtube shift levers thrown in - probably one of those build-with-what-you-can-find (or afford) jobs.

...and what about the strange white blank seat tube wrap decal - seems like it should have a Tommasini script or something in the middle.

P1150448.jpg P1150449.jpgP1150458.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Although no expert I would speculate, on account of 2 water bottle mounts, early\ mid 80's. Those shift levers are, in my opinion, the finest friction shifters available. They shift, up or down, with eaqual smoothness and don't slip.

If you're going to give the bike a going over it'd be worth your time to make sure the springs in the shift lever bodies are intact. The little tab has been known to snap off. It's my understanding that if it does break a new tab can be bent on the same spring and it will still work as intended.

simplex-retrofriction-components3.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

a real member's member
    maybe the seat tube bottle bosses were added later and that decal was used as cover for the brazing.

what is the rear spacing? 126? and what is the rear derailleur? sorta looks like campy rally.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    That fork crown was used up until early 80's, then the Air fork was phased in. Check the fork steerer for spiral ridges on the inside and that will indicate Columbus SL. The same ridges inside the down tube and seat tube would indicate SLX, but I suspect this frame is before SLX came out. My guess is your frame got a repaint and the owner ran out of money on the re-stickering.

I see you posted over at BF too. Check out this very helpful thread:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-registry.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    maybe the seat tube bottle bosses were added later and that decal was used as cover for the brazing...
    Good call. The frame was definitely reworked because that pump peg style was never used on production frames. Nevertheless, it could be a Columbus SL or SLX quality.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2014
    The spacing is 126, and the rear derailleur is early Dura-Ace.

Devoid of all flim-flam
    Cool bicycle. Ride it happily. And like velodog says, those retro-friction shifters are great. They were my go-to shift levers back in the day.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.