univega 450 - exage sport - retrofit or say bye bye?
    RoadBikeReview Member

univega 450 - exage sport - retrofit or say bye bye?

I have a univega 450. It has exage sport components all around. The bike is a 12 speed. I am buying a new bike. It fits me well, and the frame is sound. I wonder if it would be worth the time and effort to strip everything off the frame, repaint it, and retrofit it with say - a new set of wheels, shimano 105-sti level components, and a new seat.

According to the one remaining sticker - it is an "aluminum frame with chromemoly stays."

Or would I be better off buying a new frame and starting from scratch?

Any thoughts?

On your left!

Go with the new...

Quote Originally Posted by jakerson
    I have a univega 450. It has exage sport components all around. The bike is a 12 speed. I am buying a new bike. It fits me well, and the frame is sound. I wonder if it would be worth the time and effort to strip everything off the frame, repaint it, and retrofit it with say - a new set of wheels, shimano 105-sti level components, and a new seat.

According to the one remaining sticker - it is an "aluminum frame with chromemoly stays."

Or would I be better off buying a new frame and starting from scratch?

Any thoughts?

Almost always, it is less expensive to buy a built up bike rather than piecing one together. Ibex, Leader, Motobecane and some others have what you just described for $499 or so.

As far as the Univega is concerned, are the drop outs long enough to make a Single Speed or Fixed? If so, I would strip it of its drivetrain and set it up for an alternative/rain day/fun bike.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.