Welcome to the Peloton??!!??
    RoadBikeReview Member

Welcome to the Peloton??!!??

Craigslist post of the day. Most cyber-ink ever used to write about a 1999 Trek: 58 CM Trek 2200 Road bike

RoadBikeReview Member
    too long, didn't read! here's the post...

If you are between 5 foot 10" and 6 foot 2" tall and you are looking for a road bike that will go extremely fast, for fitness, group rides, or even racing, where here you go... I am selling this one because I'm older now, and just don't haul ass like I used to. I still ride long distances, I've just gone back to the traditional bikes.

I am an avid Trek fan (currently own three) and in 1999, after riding my Trek 930 mountain bike into the ground, I decided to jump on the Lance bandwagon to do fast solo rides in the Berkshires. This bike has almost never been ridden in the city, and has been pampered. Yes, it has a few scratches in the paint, but that's.... normal.

No dents, cracks, bends, and the bike has never been crashed. It was bought from Manchester Cycle, and no other mechanic than cycling legend and shop owner Bob Kiernan has touched this bike. It has all the major components that were listed in the Trek catalog, which I may still have in my library, but you could probably also find that on VintageTrek.com. Some shops will downgrade components and sell it at MSRP- Bob's bike came right from the factory, with the specified components, and was assembled out of the box. No jerking around. As a result, I remain loyal .

This is a 58 CM road and racing bike. Again, If you are into group riding, and want to "keep up", then hey, I understand. This bike will certainly do that. Not only is it featherlight and stiff for efficient climbs with its double-butted 7005 aircraft grade aluminum frame, it is also quite fast and stable on descents.

On a bike like this, you might spend a bit more attention to "getting a proper fit" than you would on a Sport Touring or Touring bike. This is not rocket science, despite the new trend toward computerized "fit kits" and fancy slide rule math. A lot of it you can (and should!) do yourself in the garage with a hex wrench.

This is the bike for a rider who is physically fit and well coordianted. If you don't really think you need to have a consistent speed of 17 MPH, then consider a "sport touring bike" with more relaxed geometry.

Fast road/racing bikes have a "tighter" geometry- the rider is positioned closer to the front wheel, and the general idea is to make the bike maneuver more quickly, and be more efficient on hill climbs. Let's say you are getting ready to retire, and have had some arthritis, and maybe other musculoskeletal issues- I would not recommend this bike. Get a Rivendell or a Surly steel frame. No, it won't be anywhere as fast as this bike, but you will be comfortable and happy. You also need the assess what type of riding you do the most, Are there lots of steep hills? How many miles per week?

So this is not a bike to use for city commuting. But if you live in Canton and plan to commute to Hartford over Talcott Mountain , then we can talk, no problem! Locked up in the city, though, It will get stolen in about thirty seconds. Nor is it good with putting a rack on the rear for a weekend camping trip with a 50 lb. load.

That's why it doesn't have rack braze-ons.

One thing I love about this bike is how it descends. I'm a pretty good descender, and the first time I let it rip on a mountain descent, my heart was in my throat. Again, It's the aerodynamic frame design, as well as the frames' stiffness that makes it so. This bike will hold its own against any carbon fiber bike made today.

And it's USA built in Wisconsin!!!

Show up at any group ride on this bike, and you will not get any grief from anyone. Well, maybe the Italians will cop an attitude but that's traditional.

Welcome to the peloton!

The chainrings are "triple ring" , which means you have an extra "climbing gear" , otherwise known as a "granny gear", to ascend the steepest hills.

The handlebars are 18" wide. I like that. It opens up your chest for breathing and it's more comfortable and stable.

Lifetime warranty against structural failure on the frame, but no, they probably won't replace it if you crash it (or drive into the garage with it on the roof rack)

It has the ripping fast Rolf Vector wheels, perfectly true, with aerodynamic spoke pattern, Rolf hubs with sealed bearings. 9 speed rear cassette. Bikes now have even more speeds, but trust me, you don't need that. So technically you have 27 speeds.

Specialized 700X 23C tires . I punctured the rear last year but "booted it" (inside patch) and it's fine now. Plenty of miles left. But as an extra bonus, you get a pair of Continental Supra Sports in 23C FREE. These are awesome tires. Anything Continental makes is splendid.

PLUS: a pair of Serfas Seca 700X23 C tires in great shape as extra backup, so TWO sets of extra tires.

Shimano 105 Front and rear Derailleur, calipers and Chainring, the bike shifts and brakes perfectly, and the cables are brand new.

Shift levers switched from "brifters" to Shimano Barcons. (AKA Bar end shifters).

I like the barcons better, they don't wear out and cost 189.99 to replace. I found that the brifters turned me into a "shift junkie" (which then causes lever wear, hello? ) . So now I stay in one gear, and don't get as obsessive about gearing. Result is I enjoy the ride more. The Barcons are fast enough anyway.

Stem has been swapped to a post adapter and a Bontrager 100MM stem- I started dialing in the fit and stem "reach" a little recently, and wanted to maybe try a shorter stem, but never got around to it. This system will make that easier if you decide to do that down the road, as swapping stems and handlebars can be done in minutes.

Shimano Ultegra brake levers.

Concor racing saddle.

Pedals not included . (this is common when selling bikes like this, you will see)

If you are new to the road scene I suggest just getting some inexpensive road pedals with toe straps, then later working your way up to the clipless pedals everyone raves about and lectures you that it's a must have. Ah, American consumerism , coutesy of Greg Lemond, once he won the Tour with this system, it's been a "standard" ever since.

There's a learning curve for that clipless thing to insure you don't crash from "clipout failure" . Personally I think proper pedal technique, especially in climbing and being fit is the ticket. I ride both systems and only see a minor advantage with clipless systems . As Eddy Mercxx once wrote : "Ride upgrades , don't buy upgrades!"

When responding, please tell me a little about yourself and your riding experience and goals. This makes the process much easier, as there is no bike that will "do it all".

I will not sell this bike to the wrong rider. If it turns out you still need help with a more conventional road design that is still ten times faster than any dorky hybrid on long rides, Talk to Bob Kiernan at Manchester Cycle. He's perfectly cool about giving you a no-pressure information visit. That's why I bought this from him in the first place. He's been doing it for 40 years, and he says "I keep my operation small for a reason". I like that.

1000.00 Cash FIRM (no hagglers please, no shipping, by in-person appointment only)

***When responding pease put " Black Trek 1999 Road bike" in the subject header so I know you are a human. Again, tell me about your riding , also what approximate geographical region you would be coming from so I can give you coherent directions.

Pics: click on the image to ENLARGE when it appears.

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220003.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220013.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220004.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220007.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220009.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220010.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220011.jpg

https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/...0/P2220012.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Rambling rosie has one ugly bike for sale.....
    “Life may not be about your bike, but it sure can help you get through it.”

"Yes, you can call me a slightly opinionated retro grouch."

My only fear in facing death, is that there may not be a bike for me to ride on the other side.