What model is this vintage Schwinn?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006

What model is this vintage Schwinn?

I got this at a Goodwill store. It's technically too big for me, but it is uber smooth. It measures 56cm center to center or 57 center to top and I usually ride a 54. It has decent components: Mismatched rims with a front Maillard hub and a rear Nashbar hub Suntour/Sakae/DiaCompe and Ultra 2000 tires. A very knowledgable guy said the front rim was pretty much top of the line at the time, but didn't say what brand he thought it was. It had Look pedals and everything was PERFECTLY adjusted which make me thing it was definately loved by someone up until very recently.

Anyway, someone spray painted it so there are no model reference visible. The serial number is K743*** which decodes to a 1974. I thought it felt relatively lightweight for its age, but what really got my interest is that it weighes 2 lbs less than a 1997 Raleigh Technium Tri Lite that is only 54cm and the guy at the bike shop laughingly said, 'it would be funny if it's a Paramount' then told me of a story of some Schwinn-sponsered racer that, once he stopped professionally racing, kept his paramount and spray painted it so would-be bike thieves would think it was a cheap POS.

So... I've done quite a bit of looking at Paramounts but there were so many variations of lugwork that it makes it daunting to say the least. Here are some pics. Anyone have any semi-educated guesses? I realize it may not even be a Schwinn. I'm hoping the water bottle mounts or lugs might give a clue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm guessing based on a few clues I see but I think this is much later than 1974. Most 70's era production bikes didn't have all the braze ons for the water bottles, shifters and rear brake cable. The lugs don't look like the ones from that era either.

There were some import Paramounts in the mid 80's that were made overseas. The Waterford site has a serial number tracing area and history.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, that bike is definitely newer than '74. I have two Schwinn Circuits, an '89 and a '88, that have the same lugs, same diamond-shaped water bottle braze-ons, and the same pump peg on the head tube. Your bike could be a Circuit, but it could also be several other Schwinn lightweights, like the Tempo, Prelude, or Prologue.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    Looks like a mid-late 80's Tempo. Japanese built from Columbus Tenax tubing.

There should be some small numbers stamped into the headbadge that will tell you the exact date. You'll have to google to de-cipher.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    3387 is stamped into the headbadge.

A Tempo, huh? Don't think I've ever heard of it... but it is one smooth bike... at least the smoothest $40 bike I've ever owned!

Thanks again for the help.

Edit - I was looking on eBay for Tempo, Circuit, Prelude and Prologue bikes... A couple went for a decent price, but a lot of them seem to go for very low prices! Is this one of those deals where the bikes were just after Schwinn's prime so a lot of folks don't realize how decent they are?
    Last edited by cratz2; 06-05-2007 at 06:15 PM.

Jun 2007
    I have an 1987 Tempo. It does look like the bike you have. I did a bit of research last year on date of manufacture. The last digit in the stamp indicates year of manutacture (if memory serves me), you decide the decade. This being so, your bike could be a 1987. If you would like me to send some photos of my Tempo, just let me know.
    I agree with these bikes being smooth. Mine is the nicest bike I've ever owned-period.
    By the way, good job picking this jewel up for $40.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, I've never been a Schwinn snob by any stretch of the imagination, but I have an older Klein Quantum with Campy everything and a Nishiki International set up just about the way I like and I swear, other than the fact that it is too big, I prefer the Schwinn. The pedals on the Klein cost three times what I paid for the Schwinn and I enjoy the Schwinn more than the Klein.