Will I regret it? What would you do?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Will I regret it? What would you do?

Kind of a moral question, I still have the first REAL bike I ever built up, a mid 80's Benotto modelo 2000 that I built up with ITM, dura-ace 7 speed, etc. I know Benotto's are not too rare and were not top of the line, but this model is hard to find. It was one of the few models offered as a frame set and is made with superlight ishiwata 019 double butted tubing. Still is a nice ride, I have it on my trainer and probably use it 10 times a yr. I dont need the money, or space, but tired of keeping things I dont use. I have 2 other road bikes, a merlin and a new madone p1, and a few more single speeds and mtb's. Will I regret selling it in 6 months? What would you do?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Just my opinion, I would keep it and I also like having unique bikes.

Adventure Seeker
    Go ride it outside, see how much you like it compared to your other bikes. That'll help you decide.
    I have a single track mind

Carless
    I would keep it, but I would also ride it:/

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    You only have 2 other road bikes

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Yea, have 3 but just got the P1 which is now my daily ride, so I will probably sell the Merlin soon and just can't seem to part with my first real bike, I was 16 at the time. I guess the question should have been to anyone that has sold their first bike, do they now wish they still had it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Never sell a bike! You will probably come to regret getting rid of it.

In fact you would probably be better served just buying another bicycle. You must always remember the formula N+1, where N equals the number of bikes you now own.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Funny you should say that, I do find myself searching eBay from time to time looking for other bikes I use to own, a 2002 trek 5200 and a DB master tg just so see what I could get one for. Too many hobbies, too many toys I guess.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2011
    You'll miss it due to the sentimental value. It's human nature.

How much really depends on the individual though IMO. If you are a wistful person usually, you will really regret it. But if your personality moves on to new things pretty easily, less so.

I'm guessing since you still have it, you'll get sentimental over it, if only because it was your first real build.

Personally, I'd probably get rid of it, and regret it in 6 months...but then again that's what I did with my first mountain bike build recently ;)

Old, slow, and fat.
    I don't miss my first bike, but I do miss my second. My first was a blueberry and white C-dale Criterium with the blue 105 6sp stuff. Didn't particularly like the way that bike rode.

The second bike was a PDM Concorde. SLX tubing. THAT one I still regret selling. I wanted to go 'Team Issue' C-Record, but I found out how freaking expensive that was gonna be and ended up with 600 on it instead.

There've been a few more over the years that I regret selling. One's a TIGed SL Battaglin the other is my 02 E5 S-Works. The S-Works is on its way back from TX.
    I've moved back to NoVA. PLEASE change the weather!

Carless
    Yes I did sell my first "big boy" bike and regret it alot.....

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Thanks guys for helping me think outside the box. Seems like I will be back spending more time on this site again.

Off the back
    Kept my first road bike bought with paper route earnings at thirteen. Still own it forty years later. Doubt if I put a thousand miles on it in thirty years.

Yeah, keep it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MerlinDS View Post
    Yea, have 3 but just got the P1 which is now my daily ride, so I will probably sell the Merlin soon and just can't seem to part with my first real bike, I was 16 at the time. I guess the question should have been to anyone that has sold their first bike, do they now wish they still had it?
    It all depends on if you are a sentimental person. If you tend to collect things, especially from your youth, then selling it will be a mistake that you will probably come to regret. If you aren't, then get rid of it to someone who will aprreciate it for what it is and use it.

I myslef am very sentimental and a collector of things. Like you I still have my first bike, a 1982 Miyata PRO, bought when I was in high school and still going strong. I have never even thought of selling it and never will even though it only gets out on special rides now; I have 12 other bikes to exercise.
    San Antonio, Texas

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I sold my first adult bike however I'm only in my 20s and the bike was a random entry level Specialized. Plan on keeping my first project bike for a while, Sekai Sprint 1500 even though it's not in the high end of bikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I still regret selling my Bianchi Nuovo Record that I bought new in the mid-1980s. It would have made the perfect commuter bike, but I wasn't into that when I sold it. Unlike most Italian frames, it had fender mounts and room for slightly larger tires. However, I've had other nice older bikes that I sold and never thought twice about em.

Ride for the day!
    Keep it.

Anchored in an indigo moonlit bay
    Gold-eyed roun fires the sea thieves lay
    Morning... white shells and a pipe of clay
    As the wind filled their footsteps
    They were far... far... away.

ELP Pirates

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    I don't even remember what happened to my first bike. A Royce Union with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed that was my paper route bike in the '50's.

But I regret selling my 1984 Univega Super Strada and REALLY regret selling my Battaglin Stephen Roche Carrera Team replica. I periodically bang my head against the wall over that one.

Benottos are cool. Matter of fact, one of our mechanics was a frame builder in the Benotto factory in Mexico.

Don't sell it. Ride it.
    Anyone who believes there are no stupid questions never worked in a bike shop.

duh...
    moral question?

Quote Originally Posted by mikagsd
    Fat tire Fred....you are the bike god of the universe and unless someone agrees with your reasoning they are just plain stupid

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Peanya View Post
    Go ride it outside, see how much you like it compared to your other bikes. That'll help you decide.
    Good Idea.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Go buy a retro jersey and cycling cap. Get the 89 Tour de France video. Watch the video, put on the jersey and cycling cap, get on the bike and ride somewhere. If you don't feel like a "cyclist" then sell it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Putting on my once jersey now and going for a ride :-)

banned
    What size is it? If it's anywhere from a 57-60 cm I'll make it work for me.

In the late 70's I lusted for a Benotto. I didn't care that they moved to Mexico. I still don't.

That said I regret selling my late 80's Triumph made from 531c. THe girlfriend I had at the time didn't want so many bikes in the basement and I was riding my Serotta nearly 100% of the time. Eventually I got rid of the girlfriend.

Don't sell the Benotto.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Sorry, it's a 53cm c-c

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    keeper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast