Yay / Nay on Nashbar threaded carbon fork upgrade
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

Yay / Nay on Nashbar threaded carbon fork upgrade

Let me give you some context: I have a 1990 Trek 1100; not exactly high end. I am a college student (the financial situation speaks for itself). I am joining the competetive cycling club at my school next year. I don't mind the downtube shifters, and I'm fine with only seven speeds. Do you think it would be wise to buy the $75 nashbar threaded carbon fork? Is it worth it for the bike if I will actually use it? The bike isn't that heavy, and the front end definitely feels weighed down with the steel fork (it is comfy though!) What kind of weight savings am I looking at from a fork that is a few grams over a pound versus the 4130 steel fork? Finally, has anyone else used this fork on their old steed with good results?

Hide Age and DOB
    May 2007
    I'll let you know. What you see is my recently upgraded 1999 Schwinn Peleton. I loaned it out for a couple a years after I got hooked on fixies and now that it's back I figured it needed some new parts. When I bought it new, I had a triple crank put on, but since the development of the compact crank, it became a must have for me (OH BTW the triple front derailleur works poorly with a compact, use a double). Other upgrades are the Brooks saddle, Nitto seatpost (a 27mm 65!!) and stem (Technomatic; this was actually added by loanee), Ultegra headset and of course the Nashbar carbon fork. The fork is pretty much bullet proof with a steel threaded steerer. Also it took two tries to get the steerer length right as the Ultegra headset has a 38mm stack height. So far its a . They only issue is the steering seems a bit less stable with the carbon fork, but I stack that up to carbon being a little more compliant and 100 g lighter. The final upgrade is a double rear deraileur; an @nal upgrade to be sure but hey baby that's what I like!!

I say you pay your money and take your choice. The money I have spent on this bike has breathed new life into an older bike. I was certainly worth it to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007
    Thanks for the reply! I'm looking foward to seeing how it goes.