Are you familiar with Duell, this is my next steel project
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007

Are you familiar with Duell, this is my next steel project

Seems like (based on my slight research) Duell Bicycles from the Netherlands/Belgium are not that well known outside of Europe. Duell is a Dutch brand of frames made by Jan Van Dalen and within Europe they have quite a name for craftsmanship.

I have been looking and waiting patiently for my next steel bike. I kinda had my eye out for a Merckx MX-L or another Max framed bike. They are hard to find and usually very expensive and have always been out of my "willing to spend" price range when I find them in my size (58CM c-c).

I follow a group on FB called Steel is Real and lots of fantastic frames and bikes are for sale there daily it seems. So I watch and watch and finally a beautiful frame pops up in my size for a reasonable price and it is made from my second favorite tubing, Columbus EL-OS. It's a Duell from 1996, handmade for a client by Jan Van Dalen. I made an offer and what do you know, I am the new owner. The frame showed up yesterday and I am over the moon.

Craptastic iPhone picture, sorry...

Slightly better one from the seller

Now I have decisions to make. I have a new set of Shimano Ultegra WH-6800 wheels for it. My understanding is that 11 speed is 11 speed and I can use a Shimano cassette with Campagnolo. I am still torn though between Ultegra 6800 and Athena 11. My plastic bike is Ultegra and there is something to be said for keeping things common...

I also managed to find a deal on a sweet Cinelli Grammo Ti stem, that is coming from Austria and not here yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Something else kinda cool that I did not realize until I had the frame in-hand, the only decals on the frame are the Columbus decals, everything else is paint. One of the nicest factory paint jobs I have seen. I love the brake bridge and the seat cluster too, nice touches.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very nice... the fork crown and seatpost collar look to be especially fine. As a devotee of Athena, I could only steer you in one direction!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    I am going to take some better pictures this weekend with a real camera. The frame does have a few neat touches like the seat cluster and brake bridge.

Boobies!
    Several years ago, like you, I ran across a Duell --also seemed like a great buy for the quality of the frame, and I did a little research and realized that I wasn't imagining the value.

Nice find--can't wait to see some better pictures!
    Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
    -Hanlon's Razor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Nice! be religiously prudent about using the correct seat post size and NOT over tightening the seat binder. Seen a few of that type lug cluster snapped off in my day...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by robt57 View Post
    Nice! be religiously prudent about using the correct seat post size and NOT over tightening the seat binder. Seen a few of that type lug cluster snapped off in my day...
    Should be a 27.2 AFAIK, though I stuck one in and it does get tight! Would not be a 27 would it? AFAIK ELOS is 27.2??

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2007
    Few more pictures I took today, I obviously need a photography lesson...sorry.

Anyone familiar with this Columbus decal, I have not seen it with the funny symbol at the bottom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010

Revived to show how the bike looks now.

So, I'm pretty sure this is my bike now so I thought I'd update it a bit since I finally got it built back up. Went with Campagnolo 11 speed, mix of new Super Record, Record, with a Used RD and some nice Campagnolo Eurus wheels. Bike as built in the pics in now just 18 lbs 2 ozs. A great rider that is beautifully made. Just enough flex in the frame to absorb the chatter of the rough roads I ride while not giving up any speed. Tonights solo ride on it was a 19.2 mph avg over a route just under 27 miles. One of my best times on this route this year.