Breakaway Road
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breakaway Road

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010

Breakaway Road

Ritchey_Dave (or someone else in the know):

Other than the color of the paint, have there any been any significant changes to the steel Breakaway road frame in recent years (geometry, tubing used, etc)?

The latest edition is available in black. Is it the same (other than color) as the white frame with light blue panels? Is IT the same as the darker blue and white frame?

Thanks so much,

Waits

RoadBikeReview Member
    Maybe try posting in the "Ritchey_Dave" thread (http://forums.roadbikereview.com/rit...st2744550.html) or try to PM him.
    As far as I know, the frame geometry is unchanged. I have the older version (grey and dark blue) steel road frame and I love it. I would not imagine they would change anything. My frame has the same tubing as the current frame. Everything on the frame (braze-ons, etc.) appear to be identical, only the paint scheme is different.
    Ritchey_Dave should be to confirm everything for certain.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Burgrat. I appreciate your insight. You have a good looking Ritchey. With all the traveling I do, I'm sure I'll be picking one up soon. Thanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks. I have switched out the Easton seatpost, stem, and bars with Ritchey WCS "wet black" components. I still haven't travelled with it yet, but just using it as my regular ride I am really impressed with the quality of the bike.
    I haven't seen the newest black version of the road Breakaway (it's not on their website). Do you have photos of that color scheme? I never really loved the white/teal combo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Here you go.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    I like that a lot. I also have a Cervelo Soloist Team (the stealth black one), so I'm glad I got some color on my Breakaway. I think the whole Black/White thing on bikes, kits, etc. will probably look a little dated in a few years, but that Breakaway looks great!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by burgrat View Post
    I like that a lot. I also have a Cervelo Soloist Team (the stealth black one), so I'm glad I got some color on my Breakaway. I think the whole Black/White thing on bikes, kits, etc. will probably look a little dated in a few years, but that Breakaway looks great!
    beautiful frame!
    Even though I must say - since Ritchey Breakaway is a travel bike, prepare for scratches, nicks etc. But I LOVE the black color.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    beautiful frame!
    Even though I must say - since Ritchey Breakaway is a travel bike, prepare for scratches, nicks etc. But I LOVE the black color.
    In almost 7 years, if I had not made a mistake in packing on the 3rd or 4th trip, my frame would be essentially unmarked. Anyway, the result was that it left 2 dings about half way down the down tube. The paint scheme is the original black and white, but more like 50/50 compared top the new version.
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cyclingnews did a new review (June, 2012) of the Ritchey Breakaway Ti (Road). Lots of good pictures and info for those interested. Nice to see more info out there about such a cool bike!

Ritchey Break-Away Road Ti/Carbon Bike Review | Cyclingnews.com

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    not sure where to post this but is the Breakaway CX Ti worth the extra money if all I do is light trails, city tours, and sportive events ?

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    A you saying extra money for the CX Ti bike compared to the Road Ti bike or CX Ti versus CX Steel?
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    I meant the extra money for cx ti compared to cx steel breakaway.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    I don't have an answer, but whoever does make a comment would need to know what the choice actually was.
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by winkplay View Post
    I meant the extra money for cx ti compared to cx steel breakaway.
    Steel - less expensive, a little heavier, and paintjob will eventually get scratched up due to travel.
    Titanium - finish stays the same over time and a bit lighter, but more expensive.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Steel - less expensive, a little heavier, and paintjob will eventually get scratched up due to travel.
    Titanium - finish stays the same over time and a bit lighter, but more expensive.
    Frame + Fork (56cm frame):

BreakAway CX steel = 5.9 lb
    BreakAway CX Ti = 4.4 lb
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    not sure if you are getting at my "a bit light" - 1.5 lbs is a lot of difference for some people, but considering a total weight of bike+rider+gear of about 200 lbs, 1.5 lbs is less than 1%, the weight of a water bottle. The price difference is about $1,500 - Ti frame is double that of steel. Whether it's worth the price is up to the buyer/original poster.
    For me personally, this is a 2nd (or 3rd), mostly travel-specific bike, and I'd rather spend $1,500 on airfare rather than reduce bike weight by 1.5lbs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm super excited... just put in my order for a 60cm Ritchey Breakaway Road. What can i expect in terms of packing this big sonofa***** into the provided case? What can I expect for riding it? Will it be fine for winter training rides in addition to travel? Can I race it?

I guess I'm just wondering about how sturdy those breakaway connections are because they look so minimal.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nhluhr View Post
    I'm super excited... just put in my order for a 60cm Ritchey Breakaway Road. What can i expect in terms of packing this big sonofa***** into the provided case? What can I expect for riding it? Will it be fine for winter training rides in addition to travel? Can I race it?

I guess I'm just wondering about how sturdy those breakaway connections are because they look so minimal.
    I have a 60cm steel Breakaway road. I'm a big guy, 6'3" and 235+. I can honestly say that the Breakaway is a fantastic ride. I cannot tell the difference between this frame and a non-travel bike. The only real connector is the downtube coupler with the other "connection" at the seatpost. I don't race, but I can crank on the bike just like I do on my Cervelo Soloist Team (aluminum, super stiff frame) and the difference is minimal. I have been very, very happy with the Ritchey and I ride it as my normal road bike. Unfortunately I haven't travelled with it yet, but I plan to soon.
    I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the ride quality of this bike. Keep us posted when you get it and your feedback.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nhluhr View Post

I have a 56, so I can't comment on packing a 60. However, the Ritchey has been my only bike since 2005. It has been down the road a bit: 5 states and 2 countries. There has been nothing that I can point to that says you're riding a 2-piece frame. The flange joint is stronger than you think. The loads are managed in such a way that causing a failure would be pretty difficult to do.

The only thing that I have noticed occasionally is what appears to be some front end flex. Not sure if it is in the handlebars or the stem. However, I would think that upgrading a notch or 2 would bring about stiffer components. On the other hand, as it is there is no buzz in the front at all, so maybe that's the trade-off...
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    Packing:
    Oleg's Cycling Adventures - Suitcase of courage
    You need to figure a few things out. The first time it may look like there is no way it can all fit in the suitcase.
    When you do it for the 5th time, it is so easy you can break the bike down and pack it all in in 15 min or so, ready to go.

Stiffness: I do not notice any flex. At ALL. But it is a pound or pound and half heavier than normal bike. Otherwise feels like a regular steel bike.

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    Packing:
    Oleg's Cycling Adventures - Suitcase of courage
    You need to figure a few things out. The first time it may look like there is no way it can all fit in the suitcase.
    When you do it for the 5th time, it is so easy you can break the bike down and pack it all in in 15 min or so, ready to go.

Stiffness: I do not notice any flex. At ALL. But it is a pound or pound and half heavier than normal bike. Otherwise feels like a regular steel bike.
    Accoding to the web site the BreakAway parts add 100 grams, or about 4 ounces. I don't know what would account for the difference.
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    My steel frame basically weighs the same, or as you say about 100g / 0.2 lbs more than any regular steel bike. But I was comparing it to any standard top of the line carbon bike frame (sorry I wasn't clear - that's what I meant by "normal" since carbon is what most people ride nowadays), and i think the difference between Ritchey and carbon is about a pound or maybe a bit more. Sure you can get Ritchey BAB in titanium if you have the $$.
    In my build the difference is more than that, about 2-2.5 lbs, mostly because my travel bike gets all "hand me down" components, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah my BAB will be getting mostly hand-me-downs but I'm guessing it will still be noticeably lighter than my rain/training bike which is a 23-24lb aluminum cross bike with fenders.

One concern I have is which seatpost to use - is it advisable to stick with a heavy duty aluminum seatpost or can I go with something like a Ritchey Pro Carbon ?

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    I asked Ritchey Dave that and, as I remember, carbon was OK. Search his thread...

Without the bag and lights, mine weighted 18 to 19 pounds, I think, with the original Centaur double set up.
    Zonda wheels
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

RoadBikeReview Member
    18-19 lbs is about what I have on mine (Ritchey Cross with mostly 105 componentry and aluminum Mavic Aksium wheels). I used carbon seatpost, but typically try to use aluminum. I am sure either one is ok.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast