Do you really need the Rear-Brake Cable Coupler on Breakaway?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004

Do you really need the Rear-Brake Cable Coupler on Breakaway?

I was just rebuilding my Ritchey Breakaway after stripping it down and changing the grouppo from Sram Rival to Ultegra 6800.... I'm getting to the part where I need to install the 3-cable couplers; but I was trying to decide whether I should do anything different this time to avoid the sometimes annoying rattle of the couplers (I should maybe say coupler, since I think its only the rear-brake coupler that rattles).

On some other forum someone mentioned that they thought you could get away without the rear coupler; presumably by disconnecting the rear brake caliper each time you travel. Has anyone tried this? Would it be worth a shot?

Thanks!

Cathedral City, CA
    Nov 2005
    My bike came with small O-rings around the couplers, but they eventually split and fall off. Making a sleeve out of surgical tubing, foam or something like that could work.

Removing the rear brake seems to be more trouble than it's worth, but on the other hand, I remove the rear derailleur when I pack. I leave the cable attached and remove the derailleur from the hanger. By leaving it attached, I don't have to re-adjust it adjust it when you reinstall. The way the bike packs, the rear dreailleur ends up at the bottom. The dear departed Northwest broke 2 before I figured out what was happening.
    2016 Ritchey BreakAway (carbon)
    Full Campagnolo drivetrain - Chorus 11sp (50, 34 & 12-29)
    Zonda wheels
    Lezyne Super GPS w/Cateye speed/cadence & HR sensors
    Ritchey fork, stem, headset, bars and seatpost
    Fizik Arione VSX saddle
    Cinelli bar tape

BeBop Pedals

Matnlely Dregaend
    I always disconnect the rear derailleur from the rear triangle when I pack my Breakaway (no need to disconnect the cable). I only had to break the RD once before figuring that out!
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2017
    It's an old thread, but I thought it would be useful to mention that I am not using cable couplers on my cross breakaway and I'm still able to disassemble and pack the bike. Reassembly takes a little more patience but to me it's worth it, I don't care for the couplers. It probably helps that the brakes are cantilevers.