Ritchey Design Rep
    Gorgeous. What'd you think of the ride?
    Dave Law
    Ritchey Design Representative

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchey_Dave View Post
    Gorgeous. What'd you think of the ride?

Thanks Dave! I really liked the ride a lot! Unfortunately, between rain and Father's Day weekend bringing the whole family back to town, I've only gotten one in on it so far.

It's incredibly smooth on most of the roads in my area. On the ones that are a bit more beat up, it's world's apart from my carbon bike! So much better! The comfort level is great, handling is predictable, and considering how small the tubes are, it's plenty stiff for me when it comes to climbing. I did notice just a touch of flex in the bottom bracket if I was powering over rollers in the big ring, but nothing a guy can't live with. My old aluminum Specialized Allez does the same thing.

Overall, first impressions after that one ride are excellent! It's just a super comfortable bike...I couldn't be happier at the moment. Weather looks great this week, so I will be putting more miles on and am really looking forward to it.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ritchey Breakaway Cross - commuter, do-it-all

Post moved to end of thread.
    Last edited by tarwheel2; 06-27-2013 at 06:54 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member

Ritchey Breakaway Cross

My LBS just finished building up my new commuter, do-it-all bike -- a Ritchey Breakaway Cross. I've been wanting a cross bike for a while since I no longer own a mountain bike and have always loved the Ritchey Swiss Cross (one of my holy grails). Altho I never found a Swiss Cross, I got the next best thing -- and probably better for my purposes.

I'll be using the bike for commuting as well as trail rides and light touring, and the Breakaway Cross has mounts for fenders and racks, which the Swiss Cross does not. Plus I love the orange-and-gray color scheme, which Ritchey only produced for a short while. Just picked up the bike yesterday so I haven't had an opportunity to ride it except for around the parking lot, but I think it's going to be a winner.

I put Rivendell Jack Brown tires on it for road use so I won't have to reset my computer when I use my wheelset with 32 mm cross tires for off-road use. It should ride super comfy.

The bonus is that it I can use it as a travel bike for cycling in other parts of the country. I usually ride 1-2 bike tours every year but have previously restricted my trips to those within driving range. Now I can fly across the US and take a bike with me. Hello Oregon!

The frame came without the Ritchey carbon fork, so I bought a Soma steel lugged fork, which suits my purposes better anyway. I like the way steel forks feel, and this one has mounts for attaching fenders as well as a front rack. The components are mostly Ultegra - DA except for a Thomson seat post, Campy Centaur compact crank, and Ritchey stem and headset. Wheels are Open Pros with Ultegra hubs, and I have a backup set with Ritchey Crossmax Pro tires.

I decided to play around with the colors and like the way it turned out. Most of the Ritchey cross bikes I've seen have all black saddles, tires and bar tape. I had the tan Fizik saddle and decided to match it with natural cork bar tap and skinwall tires, and it all seems to come together nicely.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by tarwheel2; 02-19-2015 at 12:59 PM.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Love it! Your color scheme choice came out great. Make sure to post your ride impressions.
    Dave Law

RoadBikeReview Member
    Will do, but my timing is not great for getting a new bike. I normally bike commute to work, but we have had severe thunderstorms in the forecast every afternoon this week. Then I found out yesterday that I have the shingles, which will limit my riding time until it gets better. Hopefully I'll be able to get in some miles this weekend.
    Last edited by tarwheel2; 06-28-2013 at 04:22 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Finally got the Breakaway Cross out for some rides this weekend, on the road as well as some unpaved trails. With the 33 mm Jack Brown tires, it has a super comfy ride. The tires are surprisingly light for such a wide tire, with low rolling resistance, and it seemed to ride as fast as my bikes with 25s and and 28s. I'm gonna really enjoy this bike and it will get a lot of use because I can use it for commuting, trail riding and light touring. Some friends and I have been talking about riding the GAP-C&O Canal later this summer or fall, and this should be the perfect bike for that trip.

My only complaint so far is the cable connector under the top tube rattles against the tubing every time the bike hits a bump. I need to figure out a way to cushion that; it would drive me crazy on a long trail ride.

The Soma steel lugged fork is a good match for this frame. Rides and handles very nice, and it looks better than the carbon fork to me. The bike as built up -- with pedals, cages, computer, everything -- weighed right at 22 lbs., which is not bad for a steel bike in a fairly large size with an uncut fork.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Cool! I think you've convinced me to try out some of those Jack Brown 33s.
    Dave Law

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tarwheel2 View Post
    My only complaint so far is the cable connector under the top tube rattles against the tubing every time the bike hits a bump. I need to figure out a way to cushion that; it would drive me crazy on a long trail ride.
    I found the idea on the internet somewhere, but I took some surgical tubing, cut small sections, and rolled it onto the connector. No noise.
    Tis the season for all of us not hard enough to play to belittle those not hard enough to win. We are a funny lot. - dave @ November Bicycles

RoadBikeReview Member
    you can also use the cut-off tips from water ballons, or small rubber o-rings. Also, if you use the cable "donuts" that sometimes come with cable kits, this helps to remove any noise as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Here is my new Ritchey Logic. Size 55. Check out this post in the Road Logic thread for more pics.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    From my ride this morning.

IMG-20130803-01002.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    My Ritchey Breakaway Cross. Have about 100 road miles on it so far and very happy with the ride quality. Unfortunately that rear wheel came apart after 5 miles on a dirt road so I'll probably need to buy something else.

photo (1).jpg

Ritchey Design Rep
    Maybe consider some matching Ritchey wheels?
    Dave Law

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ritchey_Dave View Post
    Maybe consider some matching Ritchey wheels?
    I had the rear wheel rebuilt and will see how it holds up, but I'm keeping the WCS Zeta in mind. I do have Ritchey bars and stem on the bike.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus01 View Post
    I had the rear wheel rebuilt and will see how it holds up, but I'm keeping the WCS Zeta in mind. I do have Ritchey bars and stem on the bike.
    Since you bought yourself some time, let me play sales guy for a second here: Consider the new WCS Zeta IIs. They're lighter, tubeless ready, and have wider rims. But the best part, the new Phantom hubs come apart quickly with no tools, making them super narrow when packing them in a Breakaway bag. Pretty slick. We're expecting them around January.

Attachment 287347
    Dave Law

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by skinewmexico View Post
    Yeah...............I still can't get my handlebars in the bag. I ended up putting them in my other bag. I have decided that a Ti Cross Breakaway with discs would be my perfect travel/cyclocross/gravel bike.
    You might check out the Salsa Vaya Travel. Stainless steel bike with S&S couplers and clearance for larger tires. I like my breakaway a lot, but IMO Ritchey could stand to go more in this direction with the breakaway cross. Clearance for 40s, a steel fork with more clearance, and the option to run disc brakes would all make the breakaway cross more versatile. Disc brakes in particular would be cool because they give you the option to easily run smaller wheels with fatter tires, and mechanical disc brakes can still be easily uncoupled with a cable splitter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maximus01 View Post
    You might check out the Salsa Vaya Travel. Stainless steel bike with S&S couplers and clearance for larger tires. I like my breakaway a lot, but IMO Ritchey could stand to go more in this direction with the breakaway cross. Clearance for 40s, a steel fork with more clearance, and the option to run disc brakes would all make the breakaway cross more versatile. Disc brakes in particular would be cool because they give you the option to easily run smaller wheels with fatter tires, and mechanical disc brakes can still be easily uncoupled with a cable splitter.
    IMO, disk brakes, hydraulic brakes, "gravel bikes" are just the hype and not as practical, especially when it comes to frequent assembly/disassembly. Even cyclocross pros like Stybar avoid disk brakes, yet manage to ride just fine against Nys etc.

Larger tires? Ritchey CX can run up to 40mm - do you really need smaller diameter wheels with thicker tires? Perhaps some people do, some need fat bikes, but do *you* really need it?

In the end, Salsa Vaya Travel and Ritchey Breakaway CX are quite different types of bikes.
    Salsa Vaya is more appropriate for slow, comfort-oriented touring with heavy loads. The bike itself is 25lbs or so, with super-high head tube, appropriate for much more upright position while riding.

Whereas Ritchey Breakaway is more of a racing bike geometry (in fact my Ritchey has shorter head tube than my racing carbon bike), appropriate for jumping in some fast and aggressive group rides on the road, even triathlons, cyclocross and occasional trail riding or touring. The entire bike is about 17 lbs - handles and rides like a top of the line steel racing bike.

Finally, there's substantial price difference - Vaya Travel frame is about $2,200. I got Ritchey frame (steel CX with carbon fork), along with travel bag for $1,100, half of the cost of Vaya Travel frame+fork.

Since Vaya Travel is just S&S couplers bike, you could also get a more appropriate frame and fit it or retrofit it with S&S couplers for about the same cost, or less. However, it is very difficult to match Ritchey price point with S&S couplers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 55x11 View Post
    IMO, disk brakes, hydraulic brakes, "gravel bikes" are just the hype and not as practical, especially when it comes to frequent assembly/disassembly. Even cyclocross pros like Stybar avoid disk brakes, yet manage to ride just fine against Nys etc.

Larger tires? Ritchey CX can run up to 40mm - do you really need smaller diameter wheels with thicker tires? Perhaps some people do, some need fat bikes, but do *you* really need it?

In the end, Salsa Vaya Travel and Ritchey Breakaway CX are quite different types of bikes.
    Salsa Vaya is more appropriate for slow, comfort-oriented touring with heavy loads. The bike itself is 25lbs or so, with super-high head tube, appropriate for much more upright position while riding.

Whereas Ritchey Breakaway is more of a racing bike geometry (in fact my Ritchey has shorter head tube than my racing carbon bike), appropriate for jumping in some fast and aggressive group rides on the road, even triathlons, cyclocross and occasional trail riding or touring. The entire bike is about 17 lbs - handles and rides like a top of the line steel racing bike.

Finally, there's substantial price difference - Vaya Travel frame is about $2,200. I got Ritchey frame (steel CX with carbon fork), along with travel bag for $1,100, half of the cost of Vaya Travel frame+fork.

Since Vaya Travel is just S&S couplers bike, you could also get a more appropriate frame and fit it or retrofit it with S&S couplers for about the same cost, or less. However, it is very difficult to match Ritchey price point with S&S couplers.
    I agree with much of this. I was suggesting that for this other reader who wanted disc brakes and more tire clearance that the Vaya might be a good option. For me, the breakaway was the best option because 99% or more of my riding on the Ritchey is done on paved, hardpack, or pea-size gravel roads and trails, and I would not want to watch the baggage handlers throw around a $2200 stainless steel frame. However, there are times when I would really like to be able to run a tire like the Clement MSO 40mm and I cannot do so - I tried and they do not clear the chainstays when mounted on Velocity A23s, and these are not particularly wide 40mm tires. They measure 39mm at the widest point, though on the Ritchey this is not where clearance is a problem - it is on the knobby bits of tread. How much would Ritchey really have to compromise the handling to add, say, 5 mm more clearance (total, not per side)? My guess is not much. They might not need to modify the geometry at all. A 50 tooth chainring fits with room to spare, so presumably they could improve tire clearance just by putting the crimp in the chainstays farther forward and spreading the chainstays slightly farther apart at the bottom bracket. In fact, they might be able to add enough clearance for the MSOs solely by moving the crimp forward. On my frame the crimp is aligned with the widest point of a standard road tire when it could be aligned with the tread of a higher-volume tire.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2009

Breakaway Cross Ti Size 52

Decided not to send the Moots Compact I had just built up to the chop shop to add S&S couplers for my travel bike requirement this spring.

Instead, was able to source this gently used 2008 Cross Ti frame (size 52) for about the same cost as an S&S retrofit. No budget remaining for parts (except for a fork and some Mini V's) so I did need to cannibalize the Moots for now. Thanks to Ritchey Dave for advise on the fork!

Pardon the no bar tape and blue painters tape cable rub protection - still finishing, fitting and figuring out how to add the cable quick connects

Last edited by enr1co; 02-26-2014 at 07:29 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    That ti breakaway is lovely. Nice find

Picked up an old road logic frame recently and am transferring parts off my old bike and adding some new bling where required. It's been sitting in the stand for a while now waiting on some new forks. At least it has some other ritcheys for company.

Thought I'd tease you all as I'm teasing myself with this damn thing. Looking forward to hitting the streets with it, shouldn't be long now.

Ritchey Design Rep
    Love the Ritchey balance bike!
    Dave Law

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Balance bike

Cheers Dave. Pretty happy with how that turned out (as are the kids).

The logic is starting to come together now too...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012

Mailmans Track

Finally have the road logic up and running. Amazed at how smooth this thing is.

For those that care:
    Ritchey road logic frame (nitanium tubes, not a typo though ti would be nice)
    Ritchey Comp forks
    Thomson post/stem
    Ritchey classic bars
    Some specialized saddle till brooks release the C15
    Full campagnolo veloce
    Easton EA90RT wheelset with conti 4 seasons
    All up around 8.8kg of cycling bliss!

Ritchey Design Rep
    Beautiful! Those were great riding frames. Can you tell if it's tig welded or fillet brazed?
    Dave Law

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast