Ritchey Breakaway crosser - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    d2p
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Surly showed a coupled vewrsion of the CrossCheck called the Travellers Check at Interbike. Sheldon Brown has pics - http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2007/

abominable slowman

Not till spring, I heard

Quote Originally Posted by d2p
    Surly showed a coupled vewrsion of the CrossCheck called the Travellers Check at Interbike. Sheldon Brown has pics - http://sheldonbrown.com/lasvegas/2007/
    That is definitely an interesting frame, depending on how much they charge. Apparently, it's not available till spring.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    my travels have been going great. check out my blog for some recent trips. i've sent the bike on close to 10 different airplanes so far and it is showing a few small signs of wear from the rough handling and sub-optimal design. i recently saw the new version of the case at my lbs and i think it will greatly reduce the wear areas i'm seeing. the case is made of the same woven fabric as most soft/rigid suitcases. it has a plastic frame along the narrow width to keep its shape and protect against damage. mine has a plastic and metal plate to protect against the cassette tearing through but the new case has a plastic protruding bubble for the cassette to "sit" in and cause less case stretch when closed.

i spent a few years packing and shipping show bikes on a regular basis so i've learned to be creative while maintaining safety for the bike. i use pipe insulation cut to fit the tubes and bubble wrap bags for the fork and handlebars. i also use extra sheets of cardboard from cut up bike boxes to lend flexible padding to the goods inside.

as long as you have some common sense (don't put metal on metal if you don't want the paint to scrape) and some creative packing materials, you'll be fine. the paint is also surprisingly durable compared to other steel bikes i've seen.

it's been my best bike purchase in many years, especially because i travel so much. it'll be in the pits at gloucester as my b bike and in portland as my a bike for the USGP. the money i've saved on shipping or oversized luggage far outweighs the fact that i may need a new bag after 15-20 roundtrips.

abominable slowman

thanks...one more thing

You've probably already covered this and I've probably already read it, but I can't remember. Have you incurred any excess baggage charges because of the slightly oversized Ritchey bag?

I'm considering S&S vs the Ritchey and this is one thing I'm worried about. Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    i've never had an excess baggage charge nor has anyone even given enough thought to measure it or question it.

the only way i would consider going the s and s route is if i was ordering something custom that i would use as a primary bike both at home and on the road. i don't need custom because i fit the ritchey geometry nicely and i have other bikes when i am at home so if i don't want to unpack it, i don't have to. if you are luke warm about the idea to begin with, i'd recommend the ritchey even more. it is a smaller investment than any of the other options i've seen and any lbs can get you one within days.

aka Zoo
    Apr 2003
    will that ritchey case fit on a plane as carry-on?
    2005 Orbea Lobular 100 - 2005 Hot Tubes Carbon - 2006 Specialized Stumpjumper Disc - 2007 Kona Major Jake

abominable slowman

thanks!! (nm)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    i've never had an excess baggage charge nor has anyone even given enough thought to measure it or question it.

the only way i would consider going the s and s route is if i was ordering something custom that i would use as a primary bike both at home and on the road. i don't need custom because i fit the ritchey geometry nicely and i have other bikes when i am at home so if i don't want to unpack it, i don't have to. if you are luke warm about the idea to begin with, i'd recommend the ritchey even more. it is a smaller investment than any of the other options i've seen and any lbs can get you one within days.
    thanks for the input. I just might buy one.

I heart team Zissou!
    Not with the bike in it!
    Biking round the world -- Where have I been with my bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    no, you cannot carry it on. plus you wouldn't get through security with all those sharp metal parts! they almost made me throw out a multi tool once. it was all allen wrenches.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12