Ritchey Breakaway crosser
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005

Ritchey Breakaway crosser

I travel a lot for business so I'm going to be putting together a Ritchey breakway cross frameset. Anyone out there have one? Any words of wisdom? It'll be built with economical parts since I'm sure the airlines will be rough on it but I also look forward to being able to ride new parts of the country without paying a hefty fee to transport a full sized bike box.

Oh and I'll post some pics once I take delivery and start building it.

Endure26
    I've got an orange one with a Ritchey Comp fork. I bought the Cx version because I figured it was a lot more versatile - road, Cx, and off-road riding. I've always said that if I could only have one bike it would be a crosser. I haven't been traveling much so the Ritchey is currently disassembled (and so I won't post a pic) and a few of the parts ended up on my Chilli Con Crosso. For travel, I set it up either 1x9 with a bar-end shifter or as a singlespeed/fixie with an ENO hub. Depending on frame size, I'd go with a bit longer than normal seatpost and either Ti or aluminum, as the seatpost kinda becomes part of the seattube. I don't use the cable connectors. With the split cable stops I simply unclip the straddle wire from the brakes and loosen the deraileur wire. The Ritchey case is nice. It comes with plumbing insulation type rubber/foam wrap for the frame tubes. I'd advise buying more. When I pack it up, I try and cover all of the painted surfaces with foam. When I travel it's normally shod with some Michelin Jets so I can go on or off-road without having to pack extra tires. I can't comment on durability of the frame, but it seems to be well made. Ride is at least on par with most Cx frames I've ridden. In fact, for a while I was using the Ritchey as a comfy training bike with 28c road tires. BTW it also has rack/fender mounts. Price wise the Ritchey is a bargain compared to a custom S&S equipped frame or even the cost of a cheap frame, retrofitted with couplers. Also beats the heck out of most small wheeled folders with the exception of a Bike Friday perhaps. I've recently been thinking about having the rear dropouts changed out to a set of Paragon track/horizontal drops with a deraileur hanger so I can dump the ENO. I really like the SS/fixed option as it simplifies the packing and travel.
    Telford

toomanybikes
    The other choice to consider is a Curtlo CX with S&S couplers.

I asked Doug about the S&S and as far as I remember he told they added about $400 to the frame.

My Custom Curtlo was just about exactly $1100 for frame and fork.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    So far Ritchey's customer service and delivery time gets an F--

I emailed them to ask when my frame might ship. Surprise, no response! The shop ordered it nearly three weeks ago. The shop called at the start of week two because there hadn't been any frame sightings or charges to the credit card.

"Oh, it'll ship this week" was what the shop was told. It definitely should have arrived by this past Friday but nothing.

I'm beginning to understand why many bike companies fail. They have a great product at a good price but yet they can't get their head's together enough to deliver it. I hope their product exceeds their service...

Endure26
    I ordered mine from Bicycle Doctor in Bloomington, Indiana:

http://www.bicycledoctor.net/ (there's a link to a BAB page on the left)

I had it in a few days and got a great price. You might check them or other mail order places for in stock frames.
    Telford

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    so bike shops that have them in stock do well with quick delivery, but the company that makes the product is the one who can't deliver.

i am using my lbs because of convenience and friendship with them. i don't support mail order if i can avoid it since i used to work in a bike shop and saw the loss of business mail order created. but for many mail order is the best option and that's cool. i just choose not to.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Ritchey crosser

I have a curtlo cyclocross with the ritchey breakaway system. I had Doug set it up for touring or just fireroad & light trail riding.Its the perfect travel bike .Did some light touring in Ireland last year ,so nice to have my own bike rather than some funky rental.The total cost was two grand complete bike with 105 shimano components ,including the soft case with wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2007
    I have seen three go out the door of my LBS with one more in the racks in the last two weeks. Does your shop normally carry Ritchey or are they just getting this for you. They have a 55cm CX built up with Rival and Bontrager parts for $2400 I believe. So Wheelio got one heck of a good price. I agree with trying to support your LBS and also the local independent builder when one can.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    the Ritchey break away arrived yesterday and the build will begin today. I took a quick look inside the supplied suitcase and things look good so far. the headtube and bb look clean and primed for headset and bb.

I'll post some pics as I get the build going. One side note, the case seems unnecessarily wide. I hope I don't get pinged for the extra airport luggage fee.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    so the frame arrived at the end of last week and I was psyched to put it together over the weekend. One minor problem. There were no frame couplings included so i couldn't put it together at the downtube. The part was at my door on Tuesday night when I came home from a business trip and the building started. Here are some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006

Thumbs up Wow!

Love the look of this bike. How's the ride? Any idea of the weight?

Endure26
    Looks great! Make sure you give it a good coat of Weigle's Frame Saver or linseed oil on the inside of the tubes before too much riding. I'd also recommend backing the seattube bolts and clamp bolt out and giving them some grease (mine were dry).
    Telford

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    i got it put together last night and took the first ride this morning. 25 not so taxing miles but the bike felt really good. i need to reposition myself a bit but the frameset felt really good. it was much more solid than i expected and did not have much lateral flex. it feels similar to other nice steel bikes i own. also, despite being a pig, the fork is nice and solid without being harsh.

i'll post some pics soon. i finished it off with grey housing and grey fizik bar tape.

Professional Lurker
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelio
    I have a curtlo cyclocross with the ritchey breakaway system. I had Doug set it up for touring or just fireroad & light trail riding.Its the perfect travel bike .Did some light touring in Ireland last year ,so nice to have my own bike rather than some funky rental.The total cost was two grand complete bike with 105 shimano components ,including the soft case with wheels.
    Any pics?

May 2007
    Can you tell me what size Ritchey crosser that is, toptube and headtube lengths? Looks nice.

May 2007
    Any more pics?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    here are some pictures of the complete bike. i've been using it for commuting and a couple of short group rides. haven't gone off road yet. it's been fun so far.

i went with the 60 cm in order to get a headtube that was long enough. i think i could have gotten away with the 58 but then i would have needed to buy a new set back post and a 130 stem. both the 58 and 60 have a 56cm seat tube. i think the top tube of the 60cm is 58ish.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    ok, an update is in order. i packed the break away on sunday and traveled monday for business. it took quite a while to pack it to my satisfaction. the soft case is reinforced in key areas but not all so there was some bulging that made me nervous. it was a direct flight so the bag hopefully was not tossed too much. when i opened it up, everything looked fine and the bike went together nicely, easily, and quickly. today i raced a local crit and the bike felt really really solid. i'm used to racing on a carbon road bike so i was skeptical of the steal. no doubt the bike was up to the task.

if anyone is on the fence about a bike like this, i'd say after my first trip it is worth it so far. i'm looking forward to some cross racing/riding once fall gets closer and will update once i've put the off road wheels on the bike. in the meantime, it is certainly fun on the road.

Endure26
    Excel Sports sells a couple of hardshell cases made/or marketed by S&S. If I was doing much travel, or perhaps overseas travel, I might consider one of these. For now, I just pad the heck out of the bike and use the Ritchey case.

Telford

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    yeah, i stuffed a bunch of extra cardboard in the case. i bought a 60cm frame so i'm pushing the limits of the size. since the ritchey comes apart differently than an s and s frame, i am not too sure it would fit in the hard cases you've pictured. i've packed some s and s bikes in the past and wanted to pull my hair out using those cases. i'll stick with what ritchey supplied and just keep using clothes and cardboard for extra protection. i also need to get some better tube coverings.

check out the podium
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    yeah, i stuffed a bunch of extra cardboard in the case.
    Photos please sir. Thank you.
    http://legolord.blogspot.com/

early registration is worth hundreds of hours of training

-avatar photo courtesy of hup united

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot
    yeah, i stuffed a bunch of extra cardboard in the case. i bought a 60cm frame so i'm pushing the limits of the size. since the ritchey comes apart differently than an s and s frame, i am not too sure it would fit in the hard cases you've pictured. i've packed some s and s bikes in the past and wanted to pull my hair out using those cases. i'll stick with what ritchey supplied and just keep using clothes and cardboard for extra protection. i also need to get some better tube coverings.

I'd second the notion of the hardcase. I work part time as a guide for a bike tour company and I am tasked with building the bikes. Maybe it's just bad luck on my guests part but the breakways get damaged more than the other bikes. Perhaps, it's that the frame is packed so tightly on top of itself. Or that the people don't pack it right to begin with. Or that the TSA can't get things back right once they open the case. One of my fellow guides (a friend of Tom Ritchey) uses some really thick, heavy mil clear hard rubber he bought somewhere. He's got the ti version and it seems to work better than the standard stuff they supply. Another guide has the steel one and his is already dented. The

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002

So chancey these days...

My S&S case for my custom Spectrum crosser is already banged up after only a few flights, and half the time the inspectors leave one of the latches open. I'd be really worried about a soft case.
    My other crosser, the Ritchey Swiss Cross (not the breakaway) already had a rear canti
    bent (Paul) in spite of the "bulletproof" Pedal Pack it was in.

abominable slowman

How's the bag been performing?

I've been thinking about a Break Away. You mentioned some concerns about whether the bag would adequately protect the bike. Have you traveled much with it yet? Any problems?

toomanybikes
    RoseyScot;

One of the tips I picked up from the CyclingPlus forums is to use some corrugated sheet plastic inside a soft sided case.

I usually use a soft travel bag ( the kind with the steel frame in the bottom) and I put some 4mm plastic in down the sides.

Makes the sides much more solid and I think will prevent ripping or tearing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast