ritchey stem crack
    RoadBikeReview Member

ritchey stem crack

was making an adjustment of my bike and noticed an inch long hairline crack in my wcs stem (26.0) running from the handlebar end right along the midline that had penetrated right through. The stem is about 8 months old--anyone else have issues with these stems? Makes me wonder a bit about lightness vs. durability as it's the sort of crack that could have led to a bad crash if it failed during a ride.

Resident Curmudgeon
    Nov 2005
    Can you return it? I'd try to unless it was over a couple of years old.
    Before you criticize someone walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them you'll be a mile away & you'll have their shoes.

Coco Puff
    Quote Originally Posted by stevesbike
    was making an adjustment of my bike and noticed an inch long hairline crack in my wcs stem (26.0) running from the handlebar end right along the midline that had penetrated right through. The stem is about 8 months old--anyone else have issues with these stems? Makes me wonder a bit about lightness vs. durability as it's the sort of crack that could have led to a bad crash if it failed during a ride.
    A buddy of mine just found a crack in his wcs. It was underneath near the steer tube.
    We don't want to admit that we have any idea what you're talking about...
    -The Walrus

goo goo, goo joob
    -John Lennon

Every little counts...
    Carbon or Aluminum?

RoadBikeReview Member
    it was aluminum. I noticed they've now gone to all oversize and have redesigned the faceplate--maybe there was a weakness in the previous design.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I hope you're not riding with that stem any more. If so, don't. It should be eligible for warranty replacement unless you bought new or crashed it. Contact your dealer or Ritchey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    no worries--as soon as I saw it the chill it caused down my spine was more than enough to toss it into the old parts box.