Ritchey WCS Carbon Fork
    mso

Nov 2007

Ritchey WCS Carbon Fork

Help....Anyone know anything about this fork? I'can't dind any reviews.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mso
    Help....Anyone know anything about this fork? I'can't dind any reviews.
    FWIW, it seems to be a well regarded fork at Weight Weenies.

Rookie
    Aug 2007
    i wonder how stiff the fork truly is.
    i have a fork thats pretty light @ 420grams (still over 100g heavier than the ritchey-298g) but it's pretty flex-free.
    in regards to forks, i'll take flex-free over slight weight savings.

Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by swerv512
    i wonder how stiff the fork truly is.
    i have a fork thats pretty light @ 420grams (still over 100g heavier than the ritchey-298g) but it's pretty flex-free.
    in regards to forks, i'll take flex-free over slight weight savings.
    Weight is no reliable indicator of a components mechanical properties. There are quite a few sub-300g forks that are very well respected and perform very well.

Rookie
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Forrest Root
    Weight is no reliable indicator of a components mechanical properties. There are quite a few sub-300g forks that are very well respected and perform very well.
    i agree. weight alone isnt a determining factor of performance, reliability, or even durability in cycling. i'm only suggesting using factors other than weight alone to determine a fork's worth.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    You need to be careful when buying this fork! There was a big hullabaloo a while back about counterfeit versions being sold by a guy on Ebay. They used to fall apart. I think the issue has been resolved - just be sure you get a retail boxed fork.

In addition, many of the vendors selling the fork don't know the actual rake. Some advertise it as 43 mm. I got the lowdown from Ritchey: 2007 and earlier forks were 45 mm rake; 2008 forks come in 43 and 45, but I don't think any are on the market yet. If the box doesn't indicate the rake, it's probably a 45 mm. Since most OEM forks are 43 mm rake, you will be increasing the steering response.

I picked up one of these forks for my C50 mainly because the WCS graphics on these Ritchey products will look sweet with the WC paint scheme on the frame. That plus the WCS stuff have gorgeous carbon fiber weave and are pretty light (but $$$). The WCS carbon fork I have weighs 334 gms uncut. The Ritchey steerer expander plug is pretty light too, at 37 gms. This fork should quicken the steering of a C50 while lopping almost 110 gms or a quarter lb. off the bike.

It's a sweet looking fork with the gloss coat, colorful graphics, and cosmetic weave, but no doubt it won't be as stiff or good at damping as the heavy Star Carbon fork. That's fine with me as I have two Star forks as backups, including the original fork painted to match the frame. The Ritchey components should help turn the C50 into a light, quick(er) handling bike.

May 2007
    I've had one on my Marin hybrid for over two years. No problems whatsoever

Rookie
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Clevor
    If the box doesn't indicate the rake, it's probably a 45 mm. Since most OEM forks are 43 mm rake, you will be increasing the steering response.
    i always thought that it was the other way around- that increasing the rake will decrease steering response, similar to decreasing the head tube angle...

Apr 2007

Compression Plug

I need a compression plug for the ritchey WCS carbon fork. Does anyone know where I can get one? If not a Ritchey is the FSA a good one?

monkey with flamethrower
    Quote Originally Posted by doak125
    I need a compression plug for the ritchey WCS carbon fork. Does anyone know where I can get one? If not a Ritchey is the FSA a good one?
    Any compression plug will be fine, doesn't matter the brand.

I have enjoyed my WCS fork om my moots. It's light, stiff and hasn't broken and thats all that matters to me.
    Chances are, I posted this drunk.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2007

The fork is solid...

The Ritchey WCS Carbon has been excellent for me. It certainly increased the responsivenss of my bike and is absolutely gorgeous! I can't think of any complaints with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I'm thinking about nixing the mizuno from my fondriest and using a ritchey fork too. A friend of mine prefers his over the fork he took off his cannondale.

Juanmoretime
    A friend of mine who is an ex mountain bike pro is riding the Ritchey WCS fork on his road bike for about a year and a half and loves the fork. He's no light weight either at 190 lbs.
    For my next trick I will now set myself on fire!