Hollowgram Si + OPI Spider Rings

Hollowgram Si Disc Carbon Clincers 35mm
    Vittoria Corsa G+ 25mm (w/ stock tubes)

Fizik Antares R5 Saddle
    OEM Cannondale "Ultralight" components

Generic 23g Carbon cages

Look Keo Blade Carbon pedals from 5 years ago off old bike
    S-Works Shoes

I weigh 160lbs. Where would you start shaving without sacrificing performance?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    The rider.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Your belly.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That's got to be a seriously light bike already. You might find latex tubes an improvement over that I'm guessing 'stock' tubes are but that has about nothing to do with them being lighter.

RoadBikeReview Member
    drop it here.

toilet.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    no wonder this forum has gone to ****. 3/4 are posts are wastes of life

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Those 3/4 of posts are right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Those 3/4 of posts are right.
    100% correct.

Thinking that a lighter bike will make one a better cyclist is the real waste.
    Too old to ride plastic

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    no wonder this forum has gone to ****. 3/4 are posts are wastes of life
    I have a Supersix HM Dura Ace.
    I stand by my post. Start shaving weight from your belly.

You bought the wrong bike to go thinking you're gonna shave meaningful weight from it.

But since you seem to want to burn money... I suggest you replace every component, sans DA parts & frame.
    $3000+ later you'll have saved maybe 200g.... which of course you could shave from your belly for free in a couple days.

Good luck with your endeavor and meaningful life.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I have a Supersix HM Dura Ace.
    I stand by my post. Start shaving weight from your belly.

You bought the wrong bike to go thinking you're gonna shave meaningful weight from it.

But since you seem to want to burn money... I suggest you replace every component, sans DA parts & frame.
    $3000+ later you'll have saved maybe 200g.... which of course you could shave from your belly for free in a couple days.

Good luck with your endeavor and meaningful life.
    are all your 14k posts this useless?

nope i didn't buy the wrong bike. the fit is good, comes with a well rounded set of components. I'm trying to get the bike <15lbs not <10. even though i do have 3k to blow, i'm sure i can do it for less.

Got 2 Supersonics, Deda traforato bar tape (stock tape is good, but thick and has some heavy ass end plugs), deciding to keep the stock supple 25mm Corsa G, or replace with 23mm Gp4000s $70, 25mm Gp5000s for $85.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    are all your 14k posts this useless?
    Read them all then let me know.

nope i didn't buy the wrong bike. the fit is good, comes with a well rounded set of components. I'm trying to get the bike <15lbs not <10. even though i do have 3k to blow, i'm sure i can do it for less.

Got 2 Supersonics, Deda traforato bar tape (stock tape is good, but thick and has some heavy ass end plugs), deciding to keep the stock supple 25mm Corsa G, or replace with 23mm Gp4000s $70, 25mm Gp5000s for $85.
    Apparently you found some use in it.

Neophyte
    Maybe people should have a little less snark in their replies given this is the weight-related sub-forum... on the other hand you listed your weight but not what the bike's current weight is and ultimately there isn't going to be noticeable performance gain in the amount of weight you can reasonably drop off that bike. Are you trying to get sub-15 just to say you've done it or do you actually expect it to perform better to the point it was worth the money spent to get there?

What does the bike weigh now? What are the main parts that you think might be on the heavy side?

A lot of people here are going to roll their eyes costly/impractical changes to shed just a few grams.

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    What does the bike weigh now? What are the main parts that you think might be on the heavy side?

A lot of people here are going to roll their eyes costly/impractical changes to shed just a few grams.
    The bike stock should sit right about 16lbs. Throw in pedals and cages and it's over 1lb to get to sub 15. The wheel set is ~1480g, pretty light for a disc set.
    You're not gonna get sub 15 with tubes, bar tape and cages.

It's not a matter of it being a "save weight" forum or "saving a few grams". He put a >1lb requirement on a pretty darn light bike. It's impractical, if not impossible without, like I said, replacing every component. But thats not what the OP wants to hear.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    not a single reply so far has been useful, i dont even know why they bother tapping at their keyboards. No wonder toolonggone has 14k posts, he's replied 4x and all his replies are useless.

My reply above was from info i already knew. I'm coming from a 14.8lb Look 566 w/ Sram Red + S30 wheels.

Its currently a stock bike: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
    +
    Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals + 2x 26g cages.

i'm dropping weight just to drop weight. 16lbs is not a light bike. I'd like to start with drooping weight for the best bang for the buck.

Anyone know the weight of the stock fizik Antares saddle that comes with the bike? To my understanding theres a few diff Antares models

RoadBikeReview Member
    not a single reply so far has been useful, i dont even know why they bother tapping at their keyboards. No wonder toolonggone has 14k posts, he's replied 4x and all his replies are useless.

My reply above was from info i already knew. I'm coming from a 14.8lb Look 566 w/ Sram Red + S30 wheels.

Its currently a stock bike: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
    +

i'm dropping weight just to drop weight. 16lbs is not a light bike. I'd like to start with drooping weight for the best bang for the buck.

Anyone know the weight of the stock fizik Antares saddle that comes with the bike? To my understanding theres a few diff Antares models
    Buy a scale, then you'll know the weight of the saddle you're using.
    Too old to ride plastic

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a rim brake bike. You bought a disc bike. 16lbs is pretty light for a disc bike.
    The supersix hi-mod disc frame is 130g heavier than the rim frame.
    The Dura Ace disc group set is 103g heavier than the rim group set.

That is an automatic 1/2lb you can not change.

There is no bang for the buck. No single component will make a difference in performance.
    Start replacing every single component, starting with the cheapest. But you'll be lucky to shave a few grams from each component. You're not gonna get sub 15lbs. You'll have a hard time getting sub 15.5.

Of course @ 160lbs you could loose 1/2lb in a couple days.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Just ordered 2x GP5000's. Should save me 80g by replacing the Corsas (259g - 220g)
    I also have 2x Supersonic to replace stock tubes. Should save me 90g (100g - 55g)

The Deda handlebar tape is 29g. Should save me another 75g from the stock tape + explander bar end plugs.

~Thats about half a pound off and these are fairly cheap components that do not hurt performance but improve on weight

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Just ordered 2x GP5000's. Should save me 80g by replacing the Corsas (259g - 220g)
    I also have 2x Supersonic to replace stock tubes. Should save me 90g (100g - 55g)

The Deda handlebar tape is 29g. Should save me another 75g from the stock tape + explander bar end plugs.

~Thats about half a pound off and these are fairly cheap components that do not hurt performance but improve on weight
    Maybe. I find Vittoria Corsas a lot nicer riding tire than Conti GP's. No idea about light tubes. Specialized used to make light weight tubes that were prone to getting flats. Why not just ride w/o any bar tape and save a whopping 104 grams.

More tips -- fill your bottles half full when you ride. Maybe fill the tires with helium. A few holes drilled here and there on the frame will save grams.

In the end, I have to agree with tlg -- if you want a really light bike, you bought the wrong thing to start with. You'll never notice even 1000 grams

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Maybe. I find Vittoria Corsas a lot nicer riding tire than Conti GP's. No idea about light tubes. Specialized used to make light weight tubes that were prone to getting flats. Why not just ride w/o any bar tape and save a whopping 104 grams.

More tips -- fill your bottles half full when you ride. Maybe fill the tires with helium. A few holes drilled here and there on the frame will save grams.

In the end, I have to agree with tlg -- if you want a really light bike, you bought the wrong thing to start with. You'll never notice even 1000 grams
    Why don't u fill your tubes with cement and lmk how that works out for u. I mean your post is as useless as that.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Why don't u fill your tubes with cement and lmk how that works out for u. I mean your post is as useless as that.
    Geez, I go out of my way to provide you with some constructive advice about how to help shed those vital grams from your bike and this is the thanks I get? Good luck making it over the next hill on that 17 lbs beast you own.

Proud luddite
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Geez, I go out of my way to provide you with some constructive advice about how to help shed those vital grams from your bike and this is the thanks I get? Good luck making it over the next hill on that 17 lbs beast you own.
    I wonder if using quick-drying cement in your tires would save more weight than standard cement.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2018
    Removing every second spoke will help drop more than a few ounces. That worked for me.