Where to drop weight?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. #1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208

    Where to drop weight?

    Just got a new bike: 2018 C'Dale Supersix HM Disc Dura Ace

    Size 50 SS HM Frame
    Dura Ace 9100 groupset w/ Ultergra cassette + HG701 Chain
    Hollowgram Si + OPI Spider Rings
    Hollowgram Si Carbon Disc 35mm
    Conti SS + Gp5000
    3T Ernova Team
    Look Blade 2 Carbon Ti
    Fizik Antares R1 Versus Evo
    2x 15g bottle cages

    Garmin 520 Plus

    Weight with all above included: 15lb 13oz
    Last edited by sramred; 09-03-2019 at 01:06 PM.

  2. #2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,092
    The rider.

  3. #3
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Your belly.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  4. #4
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    9,087
    That's got to be a seriously light bike already. You might find latex tubes an improvement over that I'm guessing 'stock' tubes are but that has about nothing to do with them being lighter.

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,992
    drop it here.

    toilet.jpg
    Too old to ride plastic

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    no wonder this forum has gone to ****. 3/4 are posts are wastes of life

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    4,092
    Those 3/4 of posts are right.

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,992
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Those 3/4 of posts are right.
    100% correct.

    Thinking that a lighter bike will make one a better cyclist is the real waste.
    Too old to ride plastic

  9. #9
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    no wonder this forum has gone to ****. 3/4 are posts are wastes of life
    I have a Supersix HM Dura Ace.
    I stand by my post. Start shaving weight from your belly.

    You bought the wrong bike to go thinking you're gonna shave meaningful weight from it.

    But since you seem to want to burn money... I suggest you replace every component, sans DA parts & frame.
    $3000+ later you'll have saved maybe 200g.... which of course you could shave from your belly for free in a couple days.

    Good luck with your endeavor and meaningful life.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    I have a Supersix HM Dura Ace.
    I stand by my post. Start shaving weight from your belly.

    You bought the wrong bike to go thinking you're gonna shave meaningful weight from it.

    But since you seem to want to burn money... I suggest you replace every component, sans DA parts & frame.
    $3000+ later you'll have saved maybe 200g.... which of course you could shave from your belly for free in a couple days.

    Good luck with your endeavor and meaningful life.
    are all your 14k posts this useless?

    nope i didn't buy the wrong bike. the fit is good, comes with a well rounded set of components. I'm trying to get the bike <15lbs not <10. even though i do have 3k to blow, i'm sure i can do it for less.

    Got 2 Supersonics, Deda traforato bar tape (stock tape is good, but thick and has some heavy ass end plugs), deciding to keep the stock supple 25mm Corsa G, or replace with 23mm Gp4000s $70, 25mm Gp5000s for $85.

  11. #11
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    are all your 14k posts this useless?
    Read them all then let me know.

    nope i didn't buy the wrong bike. the fit is good, comes with a well rounded set of components. I'm trying to get the bike <15lbs not <10. even though i do have 3k to blow, i'm sure i can do it for less.

    Got 2 Supersonics, Deda traforato bar tape (stock tape is good, but thick and has some heavy ass end plugs), deciding to keep the stock supple 25mm Corsa G, or replace with 23mm Gp4000s $70, 25mm Gp5000s for $85.
    Apparently you found some use in it.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  12. #12
    Neophyte
    Reputation: jetdog9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,799
    Maybe people should have a little less snark in their replies given this is the weight-related sub-forum... on the other hand you listed your weight but not what the bike's current weight is and ultimately there isn't going to be noticeable performance gain in the amount of weight you can reasonably drop off that bike. Are you trying to get sub-15 just to say you've done it or do you actually expect it to perform better to the point it was worth the money spent to get there?

    What does the bike weigh now? What are the main parts that you think might be on the heavy side?

    A lot of people here are going to roll their eyes costly/impractical changes to shed just a few grams.

  13. #13
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by jetdog9 View Post
    What does the bike weigh now? What are the main parts that you think might be on the heavy side?

    A lot of people here are going to roll their eyes costly/impractical changes to shed just a few grams.
    The bike stock should sit right about 16lbs. Throw in pedals and cages and it's over 1lb to get to sub 15. The wheel set is ~1480g, pretty light for a disc set.
    You're not gonna get sub 15 with tubes, bar tape and cages.

    It's not a matter of it being a "save weight" forum or "saving a few grams". He put a >1lb requirement on a pretty darn light bike. It's impractical, if not impossible without, like I said, replacing every component. But thats not what the OP wants to hear.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    not a single reply so far has been useful, i dont even know why they bother tapping at their keyboards. No wonder toolonggone has 14k posts, he's replied 4x and all his replies are useless.

    My reply above was from info i already knew. I'm coming from a 14.8lb Look 566 w/ Sram Red + S30 wheels.

    Its currently a stock bike: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
    +
    Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals + 2x 26g cages.

    i'm dropping weight just to drop weight. 16lbs is not a light bike. I'd like to start with drooping weight for the best bang for the buck.

    Anyone know the weight of the stock fizik Antares saddle that comes with the bike? To my understanding theres a few diff Antares models

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: velodog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    7,992
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    not a single reply so far has been useful, i dont even know why they bother tapping at their keyboards. No wonder toolonggone has 14k posts, he's replied 4x and all his replies are useless.

    My reply above was from info i already knew. I'm coming from a 14.8lb Look 566 w/ Sram Red + S30 wheels.

    Its currently a stock bike: https://www.cannondale.com/en/USA/Bi...ntid=undefined
    +
    Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals + 2x 26g cages.

    i'm dropping weight just to drop weight. 16lbs is not a light bike. I'd like to start with drooping weight for the best bang for the buck.

    Anyone know the weight of the stock fizik Antares saddle that comes with the bike? To my understanding theres a few diff Antares models
    Buy a scale, then you'll know the weight of the saddle you're using.
    Too old to ride plastic

  16. #16
    tlg
    tlg is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: tlg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    15,153
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    My reply above was from info i already knew. I'm coming from a 14.8lb Look 566 w/ Sram Red + S30 wheels.
    That's a rim brake bike. You bought a disc bike. 16lbs is pretty light for a disc bike.
    The supersix hi-mod disc frame is 130g heavier than the rim frame.
    The Dura Ace disc group set is 103g heavier than the rim group set.

    That is an automatic 1/2lb you can not change.

    Look Keo Carbon Blade pedals + 2x 26g cages.

    i'm dropping weight just to drop weight. 16lbs is not a light bike. I'd like to start with drooping weight for the best bang for the buck.
    There is no bang for the buck. No single component will make a difference in performance.
    Start replacing every single component, starting with the cheapest. But you'll be lucky to shave a few grams from each component. You're not gonna get sub 15lbs. You'll have a hard time getting sub 15.5.

    Of course @ 160lbs you could loose 1/2lb in a couple days.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Just ordered 2x GP5000's. Should save me 80g by replacing the Corsas (259g - 220g)
    I also have 2x Supersonic to replace stock tubes. Should save me 90g (100g - 55g)

    The Deda handlebar tape is 29g. Should save me another 75g from the stock tape + explander bar end plugs.

    ~Thats about half a pound off and these are fairly cheap components that do not hurt performance but improve on weight

  18. #18
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,279
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Just ordered 2x GP5000's. Should save me 80g by replacing the Corsas (259g - 220g)
    I also have 2x Supersonic to replace stock tubes. Should save me 90g (100g - 55g)

    The Deda handlebar tape is 29g. Should save me another 75g from the stock tape + explander bar end plugs.

    ~Thats about half a pound off and these are fairly cheap components that do not hurt performance but improve on weight
    Maybe. I find Vittoria Corsas a lot nicer riding tire than Conti GP's. No idea about light tubes. Specialized used to make light weight tubes that were prone to getting flats. Why not just ride w/o any bar tape and save a whopping 104 grams.

    More tips -- fill your bottles half full when you ride. Maybe fill the tires with helium. A few holes drilled here and there on the frame will save grams.

    In the end, I have to agree with tlg -- if you want a really light bike, you bought the wrong thing to start with. You'll never notice even 1000 grams

  19. #19
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Maybe. I find Vittoria Corsas a lot nicer riding tire than Conti GP's. No idea about light tubes. Specialized used to make light weight tubes that were prone to getting flats. Why not just ride w/o any bar tape and save a whopping 104 grams.

    More tips -- fill your bottles half full when you ride. Maybe fill the tires with helium. A few holes drilled here and there on the frame will save grams.

    In the end, I have to agree with tlg -- if you want a really light bike, you bought the wrong thing to start with. You'll never notice even 1000 grams
    Why don't u fill your tubes with cement and lmk how that works out for u. I mean your post is as useless as that.

  20. #20
    pmf
    pmf is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    5,279
    Quote Originally Posted by sramred View Post
    Why don't u fill your tubes with cement and lmk how that works out for u. I mean your post is as useless as that.
    Geez, I go out of my way to provide you with some constructive advice about how to help shed those vital grams from your bike and this is the thanks I get? Good luck making it over the next hill on that 17 lbs beast you own.

  21. #21
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Geez, I go out of my way to provide you with some constructive advice about how to help shed those vital grams from your bike and this is the thanks I get? Good luck making it over the next hill on that 17 lbs beast you own.
    I wonder if using quick-drying cement in your tires would save more weight than standard cement.

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    7
    Removing every second spoke will help drop more than a few ounces. That worked for me.

  23. #23
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: terbennett's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,376
    You can do a lot but how much are you willing to spend? Diminishing returns are at their peak when you're riding a top of the line bike like that! You can go lighter, but you already have top of the line equipment, so you're looking at probably about $10 for every gram you lose. Is it really worth it?
    Last edited by terbennett; 08-28-2019 at 01:43 PM.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    208
    Quote Originally Posted by terbennett View Post
    You can do a lot but how much are you willing to spend? Diminishing returns are at their peak when you're riding a top of the line bike like that! You can go lighter, but you already have top of the line equipment, so you're looking at probably about $10 for every gram you lose. Is it really worth it?
    yea i am, where would u start first?

  25. #25
    Russian Troll Farmer
    Reputation: No Time Toulouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    2,439
    Taking a dump before each ride probably removes 500g from the whole system......
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to drop weight and not drop muscle for Crit racing
    By wannaXbe in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 06-19-2015, 09:21 AM
  2. Would this work: Drop Bars with flat shifters and Drop brakes on a Hybrid
    By Steve the Noob in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-27-2014, 02:41 AM
  3. big drop drop-bars
    By donki in forum Components, Wrenching
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 11:45 AM
  4. First Group Ride = Drop Drop Drop
    By Darin in forum Racing, Training, Nutrition, Triathlons
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2009, 08:16 PM
  5. classic drop vs anatomical drop
    By sheldon in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT ROADBIKEREVIEW

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.