2012 Scott Road Bikes? - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I would love to upgrade to a FOIL.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SlurpeeKing View Post
    I would love to upgrade to a FOIL.
    Yep! And the R15 would be my first choice, despite the bland graphics the Foil seems to be stuck with. Bring back the Addict, please!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

I ordered a Foil 15 and cannot wait for it to get here.

I also (respectfully) disagree with the "bland graphics" description. Love the looks of that machine, I just hope it is gloss paint and not satin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    I also (respectfully) disagree with the "bland graphics" description. Love the looks of that machine, I just hope it is gloss paint and not satin.
    Congratulations! Undoubtedly it will look better in person.

Here's hoping you will share some pictures of your new steed when it arrives.

By the way, I have never seen a Scott with anything other than a properly glossy finish, so I think you are safe.

Edited to add: Googled a bit and the R2 is flat black. The rest of the line have glossy finishes.
    Last edited by TucsonMTB; 01-18-2012 at 09:43 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

I sure hope you are right about the paint.

I have seen and ridden the CR1 with the flat paint and it just isn't for me.

I rode the CR1 with every intention of buying it that day, then my LBS suggested I take a Foil out just to compare and I didn't make it past the second stop sign. I knew I had to have it. By now I have ridden yet another Foil so that makes 2 total, and I just do not get the harsh ride reviews of this bike because to me it just feels like a high performance machine. I honestly couldn't tell much of a difference at all between the CR1 and the Foil, and I rode them back to back on same road.

Did I mention I hope you are right about the glossy paint? I painted cars professionally for 15 years, and even though I know it would void the frame warranty, if the finish isn't glossy it will be when I get done with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by litespeedaddict View Post
    Did I mention I hope you are right about the glossy paint? I painted cars professionally for 15 years, and even though I know it would void the frame warranty, if the finish isn't glossy it will be when I get done with it.
    Yes, I hope so too. The matte finish R2 is probably just Scott's way of countering the Specialized marketing about lightness and liveliness they (Specialized) gained by eliminating the paint. Scott has always been lighter and very lively, so they will stick with real finishes.

I think mattte finishes and the Goth paint jobs look like [email protected] But, hey, I ride an Addict with bright yellow lettering and accents to go with very glossy white and black graphics.

I for one will be very interested in your comparisons to your similarly equipped Lightspeed Ultimate. Please keep us posted.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    Hello guys I'm new here. I went into the local LBS and looked around, I'm new to road bikes and I asked them what would be a good beginner bike. They let me ride a Scott S40 2012, it felt really solid. I wanted to know if it's a good bike for the price. There is such wide range of brands... I don't know where even to begin. I'm plan to commute to work it'll be a 20 mile round trip. Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by Ie5killaz View Post
    Hello guys I'm new here. I went into the local LBS and looked around, I'm new to road bikes and I asked them what would be a good beginner bike. They let me ride a Scott S40 2012, it felt really solid. I wanted to know if it's a good bike for the price. There is such wide range of brands... I don't know where even to begin. I'm plan to commute to work it'll be a 20 mile round trip. Thanks...
    The Speedster S40 is an excellent bike. (Disclaimer: I'm a Scott dealer)
    I don't sell the S50, as I haven't had good luck with the triple. The S40, with Sora 2x9, is a much better bike. And $849.99 (MSRP) is a good price for a bike as light as this one is.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    I just picked up my scott S30 today, and can say that they are excellent bikes. Also worth the money. in months of research, i have found very little negative things said about scotts speeder series.

jim

and im not a scott dealer
    2008 Terratrike Cruiser
    2011 Scott Speedster S30
    2013 Scott Scale Team Mtb

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    I have Scott S35 Speedster. It is a great bike for the money. Using mine for winter with mudguards.Enjoy your S30, I am sure you will.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PlatyPius View Post
    The Speedster S40 is an excellent bike. (Disclaimer: I'm a Scott dealer)
    I don't sell the S50, as I haven't had good luck with the triple. The S40, with Sora 2x9, is a much better bike. And $849.99 (MSRP) is a good price for a bike as light as this one is.
    Newbie here, looking to cash in some rei gift cards to get a new road bike. Could you please clarify what you mean about not having good luck with the s50 triple? Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Biker190 View Post
    Newbie here, looking to cash in some rei gift cards to get a new road bike. Could you please clarify what you mean about not having good luck with the s50 triple? Thank you!
    I haven't tried the 2012 S50 triple, so I can't say anything about it. The 2010 and 2011 models, however, had a fatal combination of short chainstays and a crappy TruVativ triple. You had to choose either having the chain fall off on the inside or outside, or not having it shift well. The 2012 model is using a Sora crank (for that reason, I'm sure) so it probably shifts better.

In general though, I am against triples on a "racy" bike. Short chainstays + a triple require the chain to do things it wasn't designed to do. Bikes with longer chainstays (such as touring bikes and "comfort" road bikes) are usually fine with a triple.

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    I haven't tried the 2012 S50 triple, so I can't say anything about it. The 2010 and 2011 models, however, had a fatal combination of short chainstays and a crappy TruVativ triple. You had to choose either having the chain fall off on the inside or outside, or not having it shift well. The 2012 model is using a Sora crank (for that reason, I'm sure) so it probably shifts better.

In general though, I am against triples on a "racy" bike. Short chainstays + a triple require the chain to do things it wasn't designed to do. Bikes with longer chainstays (such as touring bikes and "comfort" road bikes) are usually fine with a triple.
    Thanks PlatyPius, I appreciate the clarification. I went to REI yesterday to test drive and settled on the S30. They wanted me to try the 56 and 58 sizes as they weren't sure which would be the better fit. I'm 6' 1 1/2", 200 pounds, and my inseam is 34". On the 56, I wasn't real comfortable, felt hunched over with all my weight landing in my wrists. On the 58, it felt much better. Most of my weight in my sit bones, hands and wrists more relaxed. Definitely felt it more in my shoulders after I was done test riding but not in a bad way. Store manager who is an avid cyclist looked me over in the 58 and said it was definitely the better fit. Sound appropriate? I want to be sure on this one and the process was definitely not as scientific as I had thought it would be after doing some reading on sizing and such. Thank you.

Some shops really push the "professional fitting" thing. Honestly, very few people actually *need* such a fitting. It's a big money-maker though, so more and more shops buy into it. There's another thread here on RBR about a guy who *needs* an asymmetrical frame. Same concept. Convince enough people of the superiority of your product, and soon they will believe they need it.

A lot of people come down to two sizes. At that point, it's all in how you feel on the bike. If you like the 58 better, then the 58 is the right size for you. A good saddle height adjustment and setback adjustment using the appropriate tools, and you should be good to go.

The S30 is a great choice, by the way. New Tiagra is pretty nice and the price is definitely right.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Some shops really push the "professional fitting" thing. Honestly, very few people actually *need* such a fitting. It's a big money-maker though, so more and more shops buy into it. . . .
    A lot of people come down to two sizes. At that point, it's all in how you feel on the bike. If you like the 58 better, then the 58 is the right size for you. A good saddle height adjustment and setback adjustment using the appropriate tools, and you should be good to go.
    +1 . . . It really is about comfort. If that were a real bike shop (like Mr. PlatyPius operates, rather than a bicycle section of a large store) they might offer to fit you at no cost, hoping to win you as a longer time customer. If you can find a real bike shop with a similar deal, you might be better served overall.

Just my two cents as an older, long time rider, who was once an active USCF racer and still rides almost every day decades later.
    Last edited by TucsonMTB; 04-23-2012 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Emphasis added . . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2007
    Anyone have thoughts on Green Edge CR1 as ridden in Paris Roubaix. I think the colours look good and would like to see Scott release them for CR1 models 2013.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    It wouldn't surprise me given they did (three?) HTC replicas when they sponsored that team.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    I had a problem with scott foil 20 seatpost slipping down. Anyone has any idea how to fix ?? Thankss

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariolee View Post
    I had a problem with scott foil 20 seatpost slipping down. Anyone has any idea how to fix ?? Thankss
    Carbon paste i.e.
    Finish Line - Bicycle Lubricants and Care Products

El Papi Chulo
    Nov 2009
    Thats not the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by pumaking View Post
    Yes, scott is aware of this and came up with a fix. All you have to do is remove the wedge system. Take it all apart. grease the outter 2 part wedge components. The part you want to grease is the surface that presses against the middle wedge part. The middle part is what presses against the seatpost. Make sure no grease gets on that head surface, otherwise it wont grip the post. Reassemble everything and torque to 10nm.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234