ADDICTS - post your pics! - Page 7
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    MTBer in roadie's lycra
    Dec 2007
    I thought I'd bump the thread since after a car ran into me while on the Addict I posted however long ago, I got a chance to rebuild it anew. Luckily Scott still had the exact same year and model of Addict I had in my size. I guess the 49s don't move too quickly. Off of that I changed SRAM Red for Di2 9070, built a set of carbon clinchers (I'm buddies with the 2Quik guy, but prefer Powertaps and the Alchemy Elf to the hubs he uses), and swapped 3T for Thomson.

Now, the 2011 R1 frame wasn't Di2 compatible, and being a 49 it's not like the battery could fit behind the downtube bottle cage even if it were. Luckily, a friend of mine is studying composite materials manufacturing for his masters, so with the help of the university's xray machines and other tools, we made some holes, manufactured a mount for the internal battery that fits in a thomson masterpiece, and I've got all the wires hidden.

As to how Red compares to Di2, there's definitely a smoothness change in Shimano's favor, but if we exclude shifting the front under high load, the SRAM yaw FD worked just as seamlessly as the Di2. Really I wanted to try it because I never owned a Shimano equipped road bike--just Campagnolo then SRAM, and since I moved from the plains to the mountains I wanted a compact crank that could swab back to standard if needed (which the 9000 DA does).

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 007david View Post
    Bummer about your encounter with a car. Glad you are OK and back on the bike!

Thank you for the observations about the two groups.

My experience with equipment is less broad than yours, just old classic Campy and SRAM. So, I have also been wondering about the flashy Di2 stuff from Shimano.

Oh, and . . . Nice bike!
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

MTBer in roadie's lycra
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    My experience with equipment is less broad than yours, just old classic Campy and SRAM. So, I have also been wondering about the flashy Di2 stuff from Shimano.
    If I were doing it all over again, I'm not entirely sure that I'd do Di2. We got some Ultegra 6800 stuff in my old shop before I moved, and since they've definitely improved the shifter ergonomics for us smaller people on of my main issues with Shimano was alleviated. I still like the certainty of shifts that SRAM and Campy give, so I'm definitely inclined toward that, but I also like having shifters all over the bike. Since moving to where there are actual mountains I've spent a lot of time on the bar tops and have come to enjoy the climbing shifter.

The other odd thing I found is that on my climbing wheels (Stan's Alpha 340 rim, Alchemy Elf hub, laser spokes) combined with a carbon bar and light stem, since there's very little heft in the Di2 shifters the bar doesn't quite hold its line as well. I mean, it's an inertia thing--less mass takes less energy to move, but I didn't think to expect it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Lightness is a good thing.

Still, it is surprising that you would notice the difference after the first few rides.

Back when I was racing and living in a colder climate, the first month or so of the season was usually spent on a track bike, with the usual abrupt handling of the typical track bike. The squirrely handling was only noticeable for the first few rides each year. Then the lightening fast response became the norm until making the switch to my usual criterion bike and finding that it seemed awfully relaxed by comparison . . . Go figure.

Nice bike! Yours is a problem I would like to have. But, thanks for making me feel better about being "stuck" with SRAM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Here's my new ride, a recently purchased 2009 Scott Addict r4....just in the back room waiting for the snow to melt.......also purchased Look Keo2Max carbon pedals for her as well....bike (3).jpg

cycling as lifestyle
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutch11 View Post
    Here's my new ride, a recently purchased 2009 Scott Addict r4....just in the back room waiting for the snow to melt.......also purchased Look Keo2Max carbon pedals for her as well....bike (3).jpg
    It looks like size 58 (like mine). I think you are gonna love the ride.

And speaking of snow, we almost had none this year...that's just how it worked out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutch11 View Post
    Here's my new ride, a recently purchased 2009 Scott Addict r4....just in the back room waiting for the snow to melt.......also purchased Look Keo2Max carbon pedals for her as well....
    bike (3).jpg
    Great bike, sir! The ride and handling are amazing and that color scheme is the nicest Scott has offered to date.

Of course, I could be biased. My 56 cm (large) looks just like yours.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2014
    Thank you for the encouraging words! The bike came at the right time, for the right price, and I'm very happy with the purchase. Hearing the good reviews for the bike makes me feel even better that I spent my money wisely. She is a pretty bike, and she's a 56cm frame in the picture (58cm is beautiful too!)...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

ADDICTS - post your pics!

Just picked my 2014 Addict Team Issue today and it's outstanding. 6.34kg with pedals, bottle cage & Garmin 510 and 40% off RRP. I'm a happy chap.

I've been riding a SuperSix 105 (with a few upgrades) and I was always happy with it but it has just become my winter hack.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Good looking bike. Curious about those wheels. How do they ride?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I was not around when this thread was pre zombie. But being it got bumped, I will pop a pic. 2009 LTD.

Grabbed this mint frameset used early 2014, [or was it late 2013. ;)]

Stellar preforming machine is all I can say, well maybe I can say way light too.

I think it's future may be a Di conversion and custom paint after the cable stops are removed. It is so light the extra weight of the Di# set is moot, sorta.... ;)

It is sporting a Belguim clincher set these days, traded the Tubulars for a 29er.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robt57/Me!
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

Well I've been riding Ksyrium Elites on my SS and compared to them I can detect a slight amount of flex (but I am a bit of a porker so it's expected). I've only done a quick 30km ride on them so this is by no means a definitive opinion. It's also my first experience on carbon wheels so I need time to form an opinion.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    Well I've been riding Ksyrium Elites on my SS and compared to them I can detect a slight amount of flex (but I am a bit of a porker so it's expected).

May I ask what has brought you to this conclusion? What situation and symptom?
    Everything you read that I post is just '1' guy's opinion, try to sort it all out best you can. ;) I will try to add value in my posts, if I miss the mark please let me know using a little decorum.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

As I said, I only rode 30km so I've not really had time to come to a proper opinion yet but when I was out of the saddle on some of the climbs I detected a bit of rub on the brakes. I've not ridden carbon wheels before so it may be quite normal but it's not something that happens when riding the Elites (or any other wheels I've ridden).

I was otherwise extremely happy with them. They spun up really well and the braking performance was spot on with the Swiss Stop pads. I might not have said that in the rain though!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Atty View Post
    but when I was out of the saddle on some of the climbs I detected a bit of rub on the brakes.
    Do some research and you will find that the stiffer wheel is more likely to have brake rub. Feel free to come back and correct me, which won't change my mind. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012

I really don't need to research anything as I was just giving an opinion on a short initial ride and, unlike you, I reserve the right to change my mind...frequently.

You are obviously correct about wheel stiffness research so I'm happy to declare that my Ksyrium Elites must be the flexible wheelset as I cannot induce brake rub during normal riding at all.

I do hope this all makes you feel much happier.
    Last edited by Atty; 11-14-2014 at 04:30 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2009

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by evilbullit View Post
    This one somehow ended up on Page 2.

I hope to pick up my 10 today and post some pictures!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567