CR1 wobbly geometry at speed? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm approaching a few hundred miles done on the CR1 now.... I'm gelling with it pretty well. Very smooth ride. I think a step ahead of the 2005 (or so) Madone 5.2SL I had for comfort. I got it up to 42mph the other day and I wasn't panicked what so ever, actually down the same road I previously made the "wobbly" observation. The 2.5mm cassette spacer I've placed under the fork crown race seems to have helps the stability situation. I'm thinking I now have a road bike that has a bit of suspension under me. This frame and fork really moves around to absorb bumps... vertical compliance is excellent... not close to my full suspension mountain bike but it's 10lbs. lighter and has bigger wheels.
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk View Post
    I did 70 miles on the bike today. It's a great bike. I'm still a little sore from road vibrations and such. There is not much comfort in 23mm wide tires pumped to 120-130psi. Roads around here are a little rougher than I remember too. I hit a max. speed of 40mph today. I'd have to say I didn't experience any problems with the handling character. It's a little more responsive but behaved well. Maybe that 2.5mm spacer under the crown race has made me happier (or my brain is failing!,.... you shouldn't read that!).
    What do you weigh to be running pressures that high?

I weigh 200 and run 25c tires at 105 PSI
    Mike
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    2016 Scott Solace 10 Disc
    2017 Diamondback Haanjo Trail Carbon
    2017 Trek Farley 9.6
    2017 Giant Trance Advanced 1

The Pb Torpedo
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    What do you weigh to be running pressures that high?

I weigh 200 and run 25c tires at 105 PSI
    You raise a valid point, although the emoticon might be uncalled-for. I don't know how the conditions of the roads he rides on compare to conditions of the roads you ride on, in terms of risk of pinch flats. A friend from the Madison, WI area was shocked by the roughness of the roads I ride on in St. Paul & Minneapolis.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've got about 300 miles now on the CR1. I've taken it down some of my favorite downhill sections of road. Only time I notice any tendency to wobble is in a cross wind. I find it more difficult to get my windbreaker on/off riding with no hands as I often do. At speed I'm not at all going to let go of the bars on this bike, it's just a little more nervous than my super stable Raleigh. As I reported before, I'd call this bike a quick steering criterium racing geometry bike. Excellent for climbing hills and a rider that is in tune with what is going on. The bike makes easy work of bumpy roads. It's really what I wanted in a smooth riding carbon fiber bike.

I've been taking some vids. with my Contour Camera mounted
    check them out here Contour | Users | kneejerk
    riding: 2013 Cannondale Caad8 w/Rival-FSA-Shimano mix, 2011 Raleigh Grand Prix, Cannondale Rize 4 (mountain bike), Cannondale Capo (track bike), Bontrager Race Lite OR (converted to commuter bike), Diamondback Outlook (grocery getter),

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    I've rode 20 inch, regular road bikes, and motorcycles, 1 or 2 inch longer frame makes all the difference, it's smoother to steer, keeps a straighter line down the road. Like sport motorcycles the short frame make the bike quicker in the corners, but harder to prevent wiggle down the straight sections. I was riding a 57 cm road bike this one is 52 it's very quick. I was very confident with the bianchi it was slower to respond which made it feel smoother (safer). The shorter CR1 is very quick, and I had to adjust timing for entering corners, and changing lanes with co-riders, but I love the ride, and comfort of the bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a 2009 CR1 Pro and have never noticed any wobble at speeds up to 45 MPH. I believe 2009 is the last year before they made the CR1 less stiff in the rear. Anyway, I had a 2006 CR1 Pro XL before upsizing to the 2009 CR1 Pro in XXL. I am 74" and needed the longer top tube. I believe the Pro is more stable than the SL, for what that's worth.

Sent from my HTC Incredible using TapaTalk.
    Last edited by velocanman; 03-20-2012 at 07:26 AM.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had some Michelin Optimum 25mm tires to try recently. Unfortunately when installed there is only a few mm of clearance to the frame/fork so I pulled them off after a few outings. Looks like 23mm is all I will use on the CR1. After hearing some hype on how 25mm tires "roll better" and such I gave them a shot. I noticed an increase in vibration damping and like the fact I don't have to pump the tires as much. But, I didn't notice any drastic grip increase in corners or any performance increase... actually I think they felt slower rolling for me.

...... and I did it yesterday.. while riding down hill I tucked my wind breaker into my back pocket while riding with no hands, something I was thinking I wouldn't be able to do on this bike when I wrote this thread.... but, it was on very smooth pavement and probably just over 20mph...

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess I've been able to "tame the wobbles", the CR1 is a very capable road bike. Smoothes out the road irregularities quite nice. I think I've come to the conclusion that if you are looking for a comfortable frame design look for one that you can squeeze the tubes on with your fingers (as I can on the CR1 in locations), not sure how that bodes for long term use but for now I like comfort!

I tried installing 25c tires but found clearance was rather small so I switched back to 23c tire width. Although, the 25's that I installed actually measure 27/28 when inflated.

Here is a link to my Contour Camera vids Contour | Users | kneejerk
    Last edited by kneejerk; 05-26-2012 at 06:25 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Coming down Mt. Mitchell once I hit 50 for the first time I said this was enough and tried to trim a little speed, got a bit of a speed wobble but that could have been anything. Kept it around 45 after that. But as far as handling goes I've always felt fine at speed, cornering, etc...2011 CR1

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Hmm is there a difference in the new ones and my 2009 CR1 Pro. Just had it up to over 51 mph yesterday and it was rock solid. I also ride a 2001 Trek Madone 5.9 and while the Trek handles just fine for me it does feel twitchier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
    Hmm is there a difference in the new ones and my 2009 CR1 Pro. Just had it up to over 51 mph yesterday and it was rock solid. I also ride a 2001 Trek Madone 5.9 and while the Trek handles just fine for me it does feel twitchier.
    Yeah, the newer CR1 has tuned flex in the rear triangle and fork which likely makes it a little more wobbly at high speeds. I'm not necessarily complaining as it is a very smooth riding bike and I'm getting quite attached to the ride quality. There are always compromises. ...and I guess I like comparing Apples with Apples.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
    I believe 2009 was the last year of the "stiff" CR1. They retuned it for ride quality in 2010 which might have affected high-speed stability.

I also have a 2009 CR1 and it was almost as stiff but smoother than my 2011 Addict.
    Scott Addict, Niner Jet 9, Cutter 801 CX
    Facebook, Blog, Amazon Author Page

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Hmm, rode it for 100 miles that same day. Seemed "comfortable" enough...

RoadBikeReview Member
    sorry to resurrect an old thread but,... I think I have found some of my struggles with the bike.... after setting this bike aside to my "B" bike... I built it up with some Tiagra 4600 shifters on the handlebar without under the bar tape cable routing for the shifters.... and guess what!!... it has changed that characteristic wobble to some degree I was concerned about! Previously it was built up with shift cables running under the handlebar tape and I convinced it had (has) an effect on the steering and stability character. Being that the cables exit near the steering axis they have a greater effect on the turning (or lack there of) of the bike. Just thought I'd resurrect this! Hope I didn't scare anyone! Cheers!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12