New 2016 Solace 10 Disc - Pic and impressions
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008

New 2016 Solace 10 Disc - Pic and impressions

Just got a new 2016 Solace 10 Disc so I thought I would post a pic and some initial impressions:

Very comfortable ride. I'm coming from a 2010 Roubaix Expert SL2 so comfort is important to me. The ride seems similar to me in terms of vertical compliance, which means it is very smooth and compliant.

I love Ultegra 6800! Front shifting is fantastic and even back shifting is so much better than 6700 in terms of effort and speed of gear changes. RS685 brifters seem nice as well, but I also have to mention that they require an additional reach of something over 1/2 inch over the standard 6800 brifter. This isn't a big deal because I have decent sized hands but I did notice it slightly. The reduced shifting effort and the size of my hands make this a non issue for me, but those with smaller hands may find this more of a challenge. The top of the hoods is proving to be a new favorite place for my hands due to the extra size there.

I also replaced the stock RS500 crank with full Ultegra 6800. I have apparently lost something like 4 mm of Q factor but since I never rode with RS500 I don't notice. Heel clearance doesn't appear to be an issue for me on a size M (54) with size 10.5 US shoes. I only paid $3K for the bike so a $200 upgrade for the 6800 crank was a no brainer to me. I would obviously have gladly paid an extra $200 to get the Ultegra crank to begin with (Scott, please take note).

The brakes aren't yet worn in, so I can't comment too much yet on the braking performance. It will take a bit more wear in to know more about their performance. So far they feel nice, lower effort and more control over rim brakes, even without their maximum stopping power.

As far as handling goes, the bike is very stable at speed and frankly reminds me of a Roubaix even though the wheelbase is over a CM shorter than my old similarly sized Roubaix. Handling and turns seem to be a bit more nimble than the Roubaix which I was hoping for since the chainstays and wheelbase are a bit shorter. The bottom bracket is very stiff, and when I stand for a sprint it is incredibly solid and feels stiffer than the Roubaix to me. All in all I'm quite impressed.

I really like the looks of this bike, but since I'm approaching 50 I have to admit that the wheels are a bit blingy for me. 25 years ago I was Mr. Dayglow but over the years have become fairly subdued in the bling department. Not anymore! I may have to break out the acetone and try to remove the baked on stickers, but I'll see how they wear on me. The wheels are syncros RP 2.0 disc which are rebadged DT Swiss R23 Spline DB - impressed so far with them and they seem nice and solid without being too heavy.

I have a replacement seat coming and still plan to trim the steerer tube a couple CM. The stack height is about 1/2 cm higher than my Roubaix so cutting 2 cm from the steerer tube will still put me slightly above my old position unless I slam the stem.

All in all I'm impressed. So far it's a great bike and I'm looking forward to this season's rides on this new rig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rvcyclist; 03-17-2016 at 05:05 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    It is a very nice looking frame. I would keep the stock rims as is, unique looking.
    16 Solace Disc 20
    16 Tarmac 105 Sport

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Nice rig...congrats and wish you many happy, safe miles in your future.

I'm about to hit 51 in a couple of months, and appreciate your take on the wheels and visual noise.

Just curious, how tall are you? Scott's sizing, especially on the road size, and their recommendations, seem a bit weird lately.

I typically go for a 57.5 top tube first and foremost, but solely based on height, they suggest a 56 ( L ) for me. Their 58 / XL has a 57.5 ETT. Thinking if I went with a 56, I'd be showing a ton of seatpost and leaned way too far over.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks for the reply. I'm 5-9 1/4 in bare feet. Top tube was the main fit element for me. After many years of experimentation and fit, I prefer something around 55, so the M with a 54.5 and an 11 cm stem is just fine. 56 is too long for me since my arms aren't very long for my size. I think the TT on the 56 is 56 so you might be better off with the bigger size.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Any idea what the bike weighs? Has anyone swapped out components cranks, saddle, handlebars, etc to drop some weight. If so how light have they made this disc bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Installing the Ultegra crank only dropped the overall weight about 136 grams. But even so, with that change this bike would weigh below 18 lbs (no pedals, cages). At the LBS my bike weighed just over 18.

I found the weight reported here in the specs to be quite accurate:

SCOTT Sports - SCOTT Solace 10 Disc Bike

The Solace is quite a bit lighter than the Roubaix and Domane in the same class. By my measurements at the LBS, the Roubaix is over 1 lb heavier and the Domane almost 2 lbs. heavier.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Weight- the nemesis of disc brake bikes. Guess it'll take them awhile to find ways to drop the added lbs.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wayne View Post
    Weight- the nemesis of disc brake bikes. Guess it'll take them awhile to find ways to drop the added lbs.
    This is exactly why I just bought a 2015 Solace and am in the process of replacing the 105 groupset with Di2 Ultegra - in the end I'll have a bike that is lighter and cheaper than anything in the 2016 offering. I hope the disc brake fad passes soon, or at least becomes just one option rather than the only thing (as it is in the Scott Solace stable for 2016.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Weight is only an factor lifting the bike to a bike rack. I just sold my 16 Tarmac because the Scott Solace even 1.5lbs heavier did everything better than the Tarmac. Its a stiffer frame made going up hills better than the Tarmac. Takeoff ease is the same as well. Handling is a wash so I just let someone else have the Tarmac.
    16 Solace Disc 20
    16 Tarmac 105 Sport

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    I'm not really sure I agree with you there. I'd take the Solace bike minus the 1.5 lbs that discs carry over either. And that is what I got by just getting a deal on a 2015. What am I missing here? In my life, I've never had a problem with my brakes being the weak link in stopping. I just don't understand the attraction.

lint picker
    Hey, how are you liking this bike still enjoying it? Considering this very model and any follow-up thoughts would be appreciated!

One specific question: how has the paint held up, especially on the seat tube in front of the rear tire, and around the down tube and bb? Do you find it hard to keep the matte light grey finish clean?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I've really enjoyed my Solace this year. I knew that Specialized would redesign the Roubaix for 2017 but I didn't want to wait a year. It turns out I made a great choice with no regrets. The Roubaix now follows the design of the Solace in a number of aspects including 12 mm thru axles front and rear, lower angled chainstays attached to the outside of the seat tube, flat mount brakes and now even has a shorter wheelbase almost identical to the Solace. These changes are more validation to me that I made a great choice. I'm not sure I will miss the front suspension on the Roubaix all too much.

As far as the paint goes, it's been great so far. The down tube bottom is black except for a yellow logo, and the rear wheel junction though gray has held up very well. The gray isn't hard to keep clean for me at all.

I would buy this bike again, even against next year's Roubaix and Domane for comparable bikes with full Ultegra. The new Domane is tempting, but you can't get into one for much less than 4500.
    Last edited by rvcyclist; 11-30-2016 at 06:56 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    One more thing: the Roubaix also now includes DT Swiss wheels, but I think the wheels on the Solace are a bit better with straight pull bladed spokes and I think they may be lighter as well.

lint picker
    Thanks for the update! Glad to hear you're still liking your Solace.

The thru axle sizing is unclear to me from research I see them specified as 15mm front, 12mm rear, but every now and then a site will list them as 12mm front and rear, and you seem to have 12mm f/r on yours. Strange.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    15x100 mm front 142x12 mm rear was commonplace, but a 15 mm front is overkill for road in terms of both weight and necessary stiffness. 12x100 is becoming more common and standard (and imo more appropriate for road disc).

It's interesting that Specialized moved to 12x142 thru axle on the rear because their previous disc Roubaix's were using their proprietary 135 mm wide standard on the rear (which some customers didn't like because of limited wheel upgrade choices).

To me, 12mm front and rear is the best design and compromise for road disc.

lint picker
    Very cool! Quick question do you know if there is a smaller, shorter Ritchey spacer/headset cap, hiding beneath the stock conical headset spacer (which appears to be about 5mm tall)?

Referring to the rounded spacer sitting directly on atop the headtube. Thanks again rvcyclist!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    The pictured setup from bottom to top is headset, 5mm carbon spacer, stem, 5mm spacer, 10mm spacer.

I plan to chop 10mm off the fork, but I haven't done it yet. Doing so will give me 5mm up or down. I suppose I could only chop it 5 mm, but I haven't decided yet. It's high enough for me as is and I still think I could slam it and be fine with how high the stack height is.

lint picker
    Ended up getting the same model!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by toshi; 02-01-2017 at 08:59 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Wow - it looks really sharp with that stem and all black wheels.

Are those the stock wheels after solvent?

Really nice looking ride.

lint picker
    Quote Originally Posted by rvcyclist View Post
    Wow - it looks really sharp with that stem and all black wheels.

Are those the stock wheels after solvent?

Really nice looking ride.
    Thanks! They're 38mm carbon clinchers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    Cool - now I'm REALLY jealous!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by toshi View Post
    Thanks! They're 38mm carbon clinchers.
    hi toshi, i also have this bike but have struggled to find the right thru axle set up. who makes that wheel set? thx!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2008
    I'm interested as well. Im looking to slurge on some upgrade wheels as well and more ideas will help.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by rvcyclist View Post
    I'm interested as well. Im looking to slurge on some upgrade wheels as well and more ideas will help.

Thanks
    I just got a set of Reynolds Assault SLGs for it. Will post when bike is built, but will look a lot like Toshi's.

lint picker
    Quote Originally Posted by -jb- View Post
    hi toshi, i also have this bike but have struggled to find the right thru axle set up. who makes that wheel set? thx!
    Hey jb, you just need to select thru-axle 12/100 front, and 12/142 rear. They're these:

Disc brake 38mm Clincher carbon fiber Cyclocross wheelset 12/15 12x142 thru axle | eBay

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast