New Solace Owners - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    A few, if you haven't pulled the old cables out yet, don't. The easiest thing is to attach a string or dental floss to the old cable before you pull it out so that you leave yourself a guid string to pull the new cable with. This can be tricky with the front derailleur due to the very small guid tubing installed in the bottom cable guide. You are supposed to be able remove the cable guide on the bottom of the bottom bracket which gives you a much bigger opening to deal with then feed the cables through the guid and reinstall. What I did was run the cables before in installed the bottom bracket so I could easily see the cables. There are a lot of different ways from string and a vacuum to magnets. My biggest tip, be patient.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks for the tips. Did you have any issues routing the rear brake cable? Seems like there is the possibility of three cables getting tangled.

Quote Originally Posted by damian75 View Post
    A few, if you haven't pulled the old cables out yet, don't. The easiest thing is to attach a string or dental floss to the old cable before you pull it out so that you leave yourself a guid string to pull the new cable with. This can be tricky with the front derailleur due to the very small guid tubing installed in the bottom cable guide. You are supposed to be able remove the cable guide on the bottom of the bottom bracket which gives you a much bigger opening to deal with then feed the cables through the guid and reinstall. What I did was run the cables before in installed the bottom bracket so I could easily see the cables. There are a lot of different ways from string and a vacuum to magnets. My biggest tip, be patient.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    I didn't have any issues, I can see what you mean about it getting tangled. I did run the derailleur cables first and set up the derailleurs so those cables where tensioned before I ran the brake.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Here's my replacement Solace finally done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    That's super sharp, Chucky! Nicely done.

Is the contrasting color red, orange, or somewhere in between? I've never seen one in the flesh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Nice, I like the black and red, what wheels are you running on that?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Thank you; the color is red and it has both glossy and matte black.

Quote Originally Posted by dje31 View Post
    That's super sharp, Chucky! Nicely done.

Is the contrasting color red, orange, or somewhere in between? I've never seen one in the flesh.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I took a chance with 50mm clinchers from Baixaing on Amazon for $400 shipped. They look great and ride very well so far; stiff, true, light and have a rounded rim shape that helps in crosswinds. I bought them to experiment with 50's without dropping $2000 - $3000; was planning on upgrading to Zipp 404's at some point but so far these are pretty damn good. I have Reynolds Assaults on my other bike which are 46mm deep; they are great wheels, a little lighter and have internal nipples which can be a pain.

Nice, I like the black and red, what wheels are you running on that?

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Just gorgeous. Nice stand for the photo shoot too!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Figured I would wake this thread up, since I posted last the bike has seen a few changes, first is survived a crash when I got run off the road by a van. As for changes, it's been re-cabled with Jagwire Elite Link cabling, and it's so much better than the Dura Ace 9000 cables I had before, also I moved the inline cable release to under the bottom bracket with no issues and the front end looks much cleaner. Also just added a set of Reynolds Strikes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    Looks sharp! Thanks for re-sharing

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2017
    Do you remember where the other end of the guide tube for the front derailleur? Looking at the two openings of the bottom cable guide, I see the bare rear derailleur cable and the tube, so the tube must end somewhere btw the bottom cable guide and the headtube cable entry.

and is the tube replaceable? Is it fixed to the bottom cable guide?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12