New Solace Owners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

New Solace Owners

Well I made the jump back to Scott after 6 years on Felt. I'm on a Solace 10, and my wife is on a Contessa 14 Solace. Very pleased so far. Can't wait for the summer trip to Colrado for a ride up Pikes Peak on this thing.

I might have a bead on scoring some Syncros 32mm carbon clinchers from a local shop. I'm thinking it would be a nice upgrade from the stock hoops on both bikes. No way I can upgrade just my bike, I'd never make it out of the dog house.

If I'm looking for a shallow to medium depth carbon clincher are there any other opinions (as I'm sure there are), ie Reynolds Attacks, etc, that are comparible options? I like the Reynolds both for their build and price point.

I've also looked at Williams, and Boyd wheels.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    I've been on Reynolds in a 46 depth for several years now, with no problems whatsoever.

That said, I'd have no hesitations with the Syncros 32 carbons. They're basically re-branded DT-Swiss.

Welcome back to the Scott fold!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had to throw up a quick photo. I just added some 32mm carbon clinchers.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dray3573; 04-04-2015 at 09:13 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have no idea why this image uploaded upside down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dray3573 View Post
    I have no idea why this image uploaded upside down.
    Even upside down it's a great looking bike!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Do you have any idea what the stock wheel set weighs? There were Syncros RP2.0 correct? I can't seem to find anything about them online.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We did some weighing and you can roughly add 1/2 pound to each of the stated weights for the 32mm carbon clinchers (front & rear) and get a pretty close idea to what the stock wheels weigh. We had weighed my bike before and after the swap and concluded that my bike lost very close to a pound.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider View Post
    Do you have any idea what the stock wheel set weighs? There were Syncros RP2.0 correct? I can't seem to find anything about them online.
    I got somebody from DT Swiss to give me the specs and also had a set which I weighed before I sold them (came on my Addict 20):

RP2.0 wheelset:
    Front wheel: 18 spoke, 670 g
    Rear wheel: 24 spoke, 870 g
    Total weight: 1540 g

Great wheels actually, just not the ones I wanted.
    Last edited by jetdog9; 04-13-2015 at 06:45 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Has anyone ridden the 2014+ Addict and have feedback? I'm torn between the 2 bikes and haven't been able to find a local Addict in my size to try out. I'm not going to race but am flexible and if the Addict is faster I may be swayed from the Solace.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't compare my Solace to an Addict, but my prior bike was a 2011 Felt F5. That being said I always thought my Felt was a very stiff bike able to quickly transmit power to the ground. This new Solace, I think, delivers on it's claim to offer comfort while not sacrificing stiffness in the frame where it counts. I'm no racer, but I do like to mix it up with my buds on any given ride, and I have complete confidence that the only limitations are my legs.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2008
    At a certain level, the weak link will always be the engine.

Neophyte
    Quote Originally Posted by NW-Rider View Post
    Has anyone ridden the 2014+ Addict and have feedback? I'm torn between the 2 bikes and haven't been able to find a local Addict in my size to try out. I'm not going to race but am flexible and if the Addict is faster I may be swayed from the Solace.
    I've ridden a 2015 Addict 20 (HMF frame) and love it. Really like to climb with it. But I'm sure Solace owners would say they also love their ride. I haven't found the Addict to be uncomfortable.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015

brake set up

Quote Originally Posted by Dray3573 View Post
    Well I made the jump back to Scott after 6 years on Felt. I'm on a Solace 10, and my wife is on a Contessa 14 Solace. Very pleased so far. Can't wait for the summer trip to Colrado for a ride up Pikes Peak on this thing.

I might have a bead on scoring some Syncros 32mm carbon clinchers from a local shop. I'm thinking it would be a nice upgrade from the stock hoops on both bikes. No way I can upgrade just my bike, I'd never make it out of the dog house.

If I'm looking for a shallow to medium depth carbon clincher are there any other opinions (as I'm sure there are), ie Reynolds Attacks, etc, that are comparible options? I like the Reynolds both for their build and price point.

I've also looked at Williams, and Boyd wheels.
    I am curious if you had any problems with the rear brake set being under the frame? I have read some negative things about them. I am waiting on my 2015 to come into my local bike dhop in new jersey cant wait to get it out on the road. Also if you have any thing you dont like about the bike set or ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    No problems at all with either my bike or my wife's. I had a B12 which also had the rear brake behind the BB and I never had a problem with that brake either and I don't think that one was nearly as nice as the Shimano brake that's on the Solace.

With that said I think what is key is to properly maintain the brake by keeping it clean and lubricated with a little more regularity than a conventional rear brake placement. For the obvious reason that it's in a spot significantly more susceptible to contamination from the road surface.

Plus, I ended up getting those Syncros 32mm carbon clinchers and I couldn't be happier. It was a bit pricey, but that was mainly due to buying a set for me and my wife.

I love that my wife enjoys riding as much as me and it's something we can do together, but it's a much more expensive activity now.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2015

thanks

Thanks for the feedback i have had a hard time finding real users of the bike other then the normal bike site reviews. Now i can't wait to get the bike and start riding.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Just bought a Solace 10 frameset, will be building it up in the coming weeks, complete Sram Red group and American classic wheels. Can't wait.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I seriously doubt you will have anything but love for the bike once it's built. Be sure to get a weight on that I would be curious to see how much lighter the SRAM Red group is compared to Dura Ace.

My bike is pretty close to a sub 15 pounds with pedals and bottle cages. I recently swapped the bars and stem to a 3T ARX stealth stem, and Team Ergonova Stealth bars.

The bike feels better with each ride.

Will you be using a Shimano rear brake or something else?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    Will do on the weight, I am also going to be using a 3T ARX II stealth stem and Ergonova Team bars. For right now I will be using an Ultegra brake on the rear.
    Last edited by damian75; 05-20-2015 at 12:44 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So the bike is built and I put about 60 miles on it so far. The build is as follows.

Scott Solace 10 frameset w/standard Ritchey Pro headset
    Wheels Mfg BB w/angular contact bearings (wasn't quite ready to drop the coin on ceramic)
    Full Sram Red 2012 group (Shifters, Front and Rear Mech, 53/39 Crankset)
    Front brake Sram Force
    Rear Brake Ultegra 6810
    American Classic Victory 30 tubeless wheels w/ Conti GP4000sII tires
    3T ARX II Stem
    3T Ergonova Team Bars
    Specialized Pave Seatpost (to be replaced later by 3T)
    Fizik Antares VS Braided Carbon Saddle
    Speedplay X2 peddels

Current Weight 15.4 lbs, I think the weight you gain with Dura Ace is offset by the Carbon Wheelset. So far the only thing I don't like is the Dura Ace 9000 cable set I used, I thought I would try it as everyone seem to raving about it but I am finding it a bit spongy and lacking feel especially on the brakes, I noticed it right away, just feels like the cable has too much stretch in it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I bought a Scott Solace 20 last year and absolutely love it; light, stiff and comfortable. Upgraded to Reynolds Assault clinchers, Zipp SL post and stem, Zipp Vulka Sprint bars, Dura Ace cranks (52/36).
    Had a freak accident a couple weeks ago where defective derailleur hanger snapped in half sending the derailleur into the wheel damaging it the frame and several other parts. Scott has replaced it with a 2015 Solace 10 which is being built now. Here's a pic f my old build and new frame:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    So here she is ready to ride

upload.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by damian75 View Post
    So here she is ready to ride

upload.jpg
    NICE! Great looking bike!
    To date, philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways. The point however is to change it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    An oldie, but a goodie...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2013
    thanks, just wish there were more options for direct mount brakes

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2013
    Nice build!! I'm upgrading the drivetrain on my 2015 Solace 30 to Ultegra 6800. Any hints on routing new cables through the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by damian75 View Post
    So the bike is built and I put about 60 miles on it so far. The build is as follows.

Scott Solace 10 frameset w/standard Ritchey Pro headset
    Wheels Mfg BB w/angular contact bearings (wasn't quite ready to drop the coin on ceramic)
    Full Sram Red 2012 group (Shifters, Front and Rear Mech, 53/39 Crankset)
    Front brake Sram Force
    Rear Brake Ultegra 6810
    American Classic Victory 30 tubeless wheels w/ Conti GP4000sII tires
    3T ARX II Stem
    3T Ergonova Team Bars
    Specialized Pave Seatpost (to be replaced later by 3T)
    Fizik Antares VS Braided Carbon Saddle
    Speedplay X2 peddels

Current Weight 15.4 lbs, I think the weight you gain with Dura Ace is offset by the Carbon Wheelset. So far the only thing I don't like is the Dura Ace 9000 cable set I used, I thought I would try it as everyone seem to raving about it but I am finding it a bit spongy and lacking feel especially on the brakes, I noticed it right away, just feels like the cable has too much stretch in it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast