Scott Foil Frame Update coming soon? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Chucky View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of the look so far, the compressed rear triangle makes the seat post look way too long. I do like the front wheel tucked closer to the down tube though. I own a Scott Solace and 2015 Foil the bottom mounted rear brake of the Solace has never given me problems but there is definitely a significant difference in braking power compared to the traditional rear brake location of my Foil as well as my Litespeed. The Solace locates the brakes below because they use very thin seat stays for compliance that can't accommodate brake forces; I don't understand why they would do that on the new Foil. The Solace is more of a "comfort" performance bike while the Foil is a pure race machine; you'd think Scott would have put/kept the best performing brakes on the Foil.
    Also noticed quite a few of the IAM Cycling and Orica Greededge pro riders have chosen to ride the "old" Foil in the TDF; partly due to availability but some prefer the old version. I wonder if Scott ends up keeping the old frame as well. Anybody heard anything about this?
    Two questions: I can't even imagine that a rear brake's stopping power would be the limiting factor for apply braking force to the road from the back wheel. Nor can I see how the location would impact that. Could you explain why you think that this is the case?

Re the TDF, my understanding is that Scott only made a total of 5 or 6 new Foils available to the teams that are using Scott. So availability would be the only reason for those using the old one. Are you actually aware of anyone who has said they prefer the 2015 to the new one or was this just conjecture?

I think the point of the new Foil is to take what they've learned from the Solace as well as marginal aero improvements and incorporate them into the Foil update, which was coming regardless. Time is what seems to drive frame updates, the rest is just deciding what to do when it is that time. I personally love the older design in terms of appearance, which is all that matters as I'm not going to be buying either any time soon. A Solace perhaps, but I'm no racer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by nsfbr View Post
    Two questions: I can't even imagine that a rear brake's stopping power would be the limiting factor for apply braking force to the road from the back wheel. Nor can I see how the location would impact that. Could you explain why you think that this is the case?

Re the TDF, my understanding is that Scott only made a total of 5 or 6 new Foils available to the teams that are using Scott. So availability would be the only reason for those using the old one. Are you actually aware of anyone who has said they prefer the 2015 to the new one or was this just conjecture?

I think the point of the new Foil is to take what they've learned from the Solace as well as marginal aero improvements and incorporate them into the Foil update, which was coming regardless. Time is what seems to drive frame updates, the rest is just deciding what to do when it is that time. I personally love the older design in terms of appearance, which is all that matters as I'm not going to be buying either any time soon. A Solace perhaps, but I'm no racer.
    I own both the Solace and Foil and it definitely makes a difference; with both my carbon wheels and carbon specific pads as well as with the aluminum Syncros wheels and regular pads it came with. I cannot lock up the rear wheel of my Solace with either setup. I'm 6' 170 lbs; I can stop more quickly with traditional rear brake location on my Foil and Litespeed. The Solace came with a Shimano 105 rear brake (everything else was Ultegra) I upgraded to Ultegra hoping to improve braking; it did not have much affect; I've even had LBS replace the cable and tune them; still no improvement. It's not dangerous just not as effective. I would suggest you go to LBS and ride both the Solace and Foil and see for yourself.
    Just speculation on the new Foil choice by pro riders; some of the team leaders are on the old frame if they are really that limited you'd think the team leaders would get them first; also after the stage 3 crash they were taking both versions off the cars to replace broken bikes and one Orica Greenedge rider is clearly seen getting off of an old Foil and onto a new one.

Talks too much, that is..
    May 2014
    Thanks. So now I would defer to you on both things. I still don't get the why on the brakes though. I mean, there doesn't seem to be any direct reason for lower clamping force as a result of the placement. Color me confused.I fully intend to ride the Solace before I'd buy it. I can't imagine owning a Foil though so I'd probably not take up my LBS' time by riding it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I don't get it either. One guy at LBS told me that it might be because the cable is longer and I'm not used to the feel and there will be more stretching with a longer cable; I didn't really believe this at the time.
    Foil is a great bike; I had the Solace first but always loved the look and reputation of the Foil but was afraid it would be too harsh a ride. Had a chance to pick up a 2015 Foil 10 frame at a good price and I am completely impressed with it and surprised its not as harsh a ride as I thought and I'm comfortable with the more aggressive positioning, Solace is more upright and relaxed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12