Speedster S30 - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Speedster S30

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    Yeah, I was hoping a saddle change might have delayed the inevitable, but not in this case. And for shorter rides it's not really an issue, occasional numbness, but no real pain.

As for the current stem, I am basing the 0 degree mostly on the look of it. If you have a moment, could you scroll down to the pics I posted previously of the bike and take a look. The stem is in a few of the shots. I am guessing 0 because the angle of the stem currently is parallel to the ground, but that doesn't take in to account the angle of the head tube, so you might be right about the angle.

Thanks, as always, for the input.
    You answered your own question. The stem looks to be about parallel with the ground but the HTA is 73. Here's a way to visualize it. If you were to hold just the fork/ steerer at a 90 degree angle to the ground, a zero degree stem would be parallel to the ground. Another way to think of it is, it's effectively a 90 degree stem, if you follow me. Any deviation from the 90 becomes + or - (plus raises, minus lowers). So given that, when assembled, the stem is about parallel, it's actually got a + (from zero) angle. I'm guessing +6 degree, but it might be +8. The stem may have some markings or indication on it.

All that aside, it doesn't really matter if it's a +6 or +8. If you're uncomfortable and can't swing a new stem, flipping the current one is a good solution. In fact, before shelling out the $$, I'd give it a shot. You might like it!

What the what???
    I flipped the stem and, while it is still below the level of the saddle, I have gained some elevation. Now I just need to find the time for a test ride to see what kind of impact it has (or doesn't have) on the hands...
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

Cycling induced anoesis
    I flipped the stem and, while it is still below the level of the saddle, I have gained some elevation. Now I just need to find the time for a test ride to see what kind of impact it has (or doesn't have) on the hands...
    I'd guess you've upped the bars about 2 cm's and brought them closer by about .5 cm's. I agree that a test ride (of some duration) is the only way to know for sure, but I wish I had thought to mention measuring from ground to center of bars before and after, just to have a baseline for comparison.

Good luck with this. I'd be interested to know how it progresses..

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352
    I'd guess you've upped the bars about 2 cm's and brought them closer by about .5 cm's. I agree that a test ride (of some duration) is the only way to know for sure, but I wish I had thought to mention measuring from ground to center of bars before and after, just to have a baseline for comparison.

Good luck with this. I'd be interested to know how it progresses..
    No worries. For me it's more about the feel than the numbers. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll update once I've put some miles on the new setup.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

What the what???

I was hesitant to take a look at the new Speedsters for 2010. I like my '09 and didn't want to find that the new S30s were now all Ultegra and priced $100 less than what I paid. I just took a look at the new Speedster S30 on the SCOTT website. I have to say my reaction was mixed.

I like my current gray/white color scheme but I must admit the new model is a very nice shade of blue.

The price did drop significantly for the new S30 - MSRP is now $1099 down from $1379 last year. But the new model is also a little heavier and now sports Tiagra F/D and brifters. The '09 model had 105s for both.

The most significant change, though, looks to be in the tubing. It's hard to tell from the pics on the SCOTT site, but it looks as though they may have abandoned the flat top tube with the embossed details on the top and down tubes, in favor of a more traditional looking oval. I could be wrong, but that's the way it looks. If that's the case, I'm really glad I bought mine when I did. That detail sets my bike apart from most of the other aluminum frames on the road and is one of the things that kept me coming back to that particular bike.

All in all, for the $1100 I paid for mine (with tax) it's nice to feel like I still got a pretty good deal.

What the what???

Stem Flip = Success

I still have some miles to go before it's official, but I had time this morning for a quick 20 miles and I can already feel a marked improvement in my hands after flipping the stem. At the end of the 20 I was just starting to feel some tingling, but moving to the bar flats (which are now a bit higher and closer) alleviated it.

Even if this doesn't solve the problem entirely, it should make longer distances comfortable enough that a new stem is no longer an immediate priority. I'll still be on the lookout for a decent 90mm angled stem on clearance somewhere, though, but it's nice to know I can take the bike for longer walks in the meantime.

Thanks again, PJ352 for the suggestion.

What the what???

You're only a daaaaay...aaaaa....waaaaay....

A bad week for cycling. Rain early in the week. Too many hours at work and busy around the house in the middle part of the week. Rain again Thursday, Friday and early this morning. Skies are clearing now and hopefully tomorrow will offer the right mix of dry conditions and free time to allow me to finally get back on the roads and trails.

I haven't had any time on the bike since the 20 miles I managed last weekend after flipping the stem. Speaking of which...

I am generally comfortable in my newbness regarding cycling, but I still feel like a tool for not seeing how simple a fix that was. Here I was lamenting my position on the bike, doing internet searches pricing high-rise and adjustable stems, and all the time a solution was literally staring me in the face. Five minutes with an allen wrench and viola! It's a bit like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet for a month and not understanding why your feet are always sore... Oh well...live and learn, I suppose.

For those of you who have read this thread up till now, I have a "what would you do" question for you.

I have well over 200 miles on the Speedster now which means it is due for the free tune-up/adjustment offered by the LBS. Given the saga of Bike Seige 2009, however, I am a bit conflicted.

On the one hand, I'm cheap and it's free. Plus, I'm guessing there are a certain amount of adjustments the LBS could make regarding cable stretch, etc. that might be beneficial. They could also do little things like install the two missing cable tips on the FD and rear brake cables that were never put on the bike in the first place.

On the other hand, given my encounters thus far with the LBS, I don't relish the thought of leaving the bike with them again. Plus, the bike seems to be running pretty flawlessly at the moment. The classic "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" gambit.

So, what would you do?

Take the bike in now?
    Take the bike in later?
    Stay as far away from the LBS as possible?

Are there warranty issues to consider? I know for some bikes, regularly scheduled maintenance or check-ups are required to maintain the warranty status.

As always, thoughts and advice are much appreciated.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Glad the stem flip is working for you. And stop beating yourself up over not knowing about the solution. Retrospect is 20/20, as they say and IMO you're a pretty quick study, which leads me into my opinions on your questions.

I tried to offer an informed response to you regarding any warranty repercussions of NOT taking your bike in for a tune up, but Scott's site told me to refer to my owners manual. Seeing as I don't own a Scott (nor do I have an owners manual), I'll have to leave that task up to you, but I highly doubt passing on the tune up will affect your warranty.

IMO, if your bike is running ok now, I'd pass on the tune up and maybe over the next few months start dabbling in some aspects of bike maintenance. IIRC, you're in Ohio, so there's likely times you can't or just don't ride, so that'll give you some time to learn.

I've always done all I could on houses, cars, bikes, etc., and whenever I started to fret over 'what could go wrong' I always tempered it with 'what's the worst that can happen'. IMO if you start doing more of your own maintenance, the worst that could happen is you have to trudge off to some LBS and ask them to fix what you didn't. Not really a big deal. And actually, I'd bet against that happening, because considering you've got a new bike, the more involved aspects of maintenance/ repairs shouldn't be needed for some time, and by then you will have built some confidence. Lastly, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum, so if you have any questions or concerns, just post them and members will assist.

That's my 2 cents.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I tried to offer an informed response to you regarding any warranty repercussions of NOT taking your bike in for a tune up, but Scott's site told me to refer to my owners manual. Seeing as I don't own a Scott (nor do I have an owners manual), I'll have to leave that task up to you, but I highly doubt passing on the tune up will affect your warranty.

IMO, if your bike is running ok now, I'd pass on the tune up and maybe over the next few months start dabbling in some aspects of bike maintenance. IIRC, you're in Ohio, so there's likely times you can't or just don't ride, so that'll give you some time to learn.
    Sage advice. A quick check of the manual that came with my Addict shows that Scott only requires annual check ups by your dealer to maintain the warranty. By the way, the manual is generic covering all 2009 models including mountain bikes.

I've always done all I could on houses, cars, bikes, etc., and whenever I started to fret over 'what could go wrong' I always tempered it with 'what's the worst that can happen'. IMO if you start doing more of your own maintenance, the worst that could happen is you have to trudge off to some LBS and ask them to fix what you didn't. Not really a big deal. And actually, I'd bet against that happening, because considering you've got a new bike, the more involved aspects of maintenance/ repairs shouldn't be needed for some time, and by then you will have built some confidence. Lastly, there's a wealth of knowledge on this forum, so if you have any questions or concerns, just post them and members will assist.

That's my 2 cents.
    More sage advice, in my not so humble opinion.

What the what???
    I took a look at the standard owners manual (I had to find the .pdf online as the LBS never provided one). TucsonMTB is correct, I found that the initial tune up isn't mandatory, but a yearly tune-up by an authorized SCOTT dealer is required to maintain the warranty. If I don't take it in once a year, my warranty automatically drops from 5 years to 3 years.

So, I think I will probably skip the freebie adjustment. Fortunately, there is another SCOTT dealer not too far from me, so I'll probably give them a try when it comes time for the first-year tune-up.

Please allow this post to serve as my official notice/apology for bugging folks in the Wrenching forum somewhere down the road...

What the what???

More Craptacular Weather...

The rain seems to be perfectly timed to those days when I actually have some time to get in a ride. The weekend looks relatively dry but, believe it or not, the first snow flurries are already in for forecast by Sunday.

I thought I would take this opportunity to update on some of the known issues/fixes that have taken place thus far.

1.) Brake squeal - since toeing in the front pads, all is quiet on the braking front...

2.) Front derailleur/chain drop - after disconnecting, adjusting and reconnecting the FD, there have been no issues. Shifts are smooth and clean in all gear combinations.

3.) Cross-chaining - I think this was a case of my impatience. Now that the bike has had time to break in properly, I can run in 50/23 all the way down to 34/12 with no rub. Only the extremes of 50/25 and 34/11 will produce an audible rubbing sound. No complaints there.

4.) Headset - after tightening the headset following the pothole incident, everything seems to be tight and quiet.

5.) Stem flip - I don't have many miles yet on the bike since the flip, but the rides I have managed have been noticeably more comfortable for the hands.

Overall, I am amazed with how quiet the bike has become now that everything has broken in. I hear the tires on the road now and that's pretty much it. It's almost unnerving, but in a good way...

What the what???

Decal-less wheels

A while back I had promised to post a pic of the Alex Race 28s sans decals. Here they are. While it loses some of the "bling" factor, overall, I like the understated look more. Once I've worn out the Hutchinson Equinoxes that came with the bike, I wouldn't mind putting on a gray or a gray striped tire just to set the wheels off a bit more.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2009
    Need another whole bike shot without the wheel decals so we can get the 'big picture'

Asad

What the what???
    I'll see what I can do. It may have to wait until the weather clears, which lately seems like it might not be until sometime in March . I managed to get in a short ride this afternoon but it was threatening rain the entire time and it's starting to come down now.

What the what???

Naked rims

Quote Originally Posted by asad137
    Need another whole bike shot without the wheel decals so we can get the 'big picture'

Asad
    BAM! I included the earlier shot with the decals for a before/after view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    BAM! I included the earlier shot with the decals for a before/after view.
    Nicely done! But, your original decals / labels were not bad looking. If you want to see something worth removing, check out the Neuvation decals that were on the wheels I purchased. Ewwww!

Here we are with most of the decals removed.

What the what???
    Thanks, and maybe it doesn't show up well in the pic, but the Race 28 stickers were not only huge, but also had red running through them, which didn't really match anything else on the bike. They were a bit loud given the relatively monochromatic scheme elsewhere on the bike.

I like how you kept the "N" symbol for the Neuvation rims on your bike, though. Just enough to set the rims off without the decal overload of the original rims. Did you ditch your stock seat as well, or is that the one that came on the bike?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Thanks for the kind words.

The saddle and post are indeed replacements for the awkward-to-adjust, standard post . . . and for the heavy, uncomfortable-for-me, orginal saddle. The combination probably dropped 100 grams (based on manufacturer's numbers). More important, it is very comfortable for longer rides.

Never Give Up!
    Thanks. My Trek is black and, to be honest, I never would have considered a white bike before, but that combo really appealed to me. I find I spend more time wiping it down after a ride because everything shows on it, but I don't mind too much

Do you have pics posted of your Gray and Black? If so, feel free to toss them up here.

Better late than never, the shots aren't all that great but here are few few pic's of my S60. I have since changed out the stock SCOTT saddle and replaced it with a gray and black VELO with the center cut.

Picture1.jpg

Picture2.jpg

Picture3.jpg
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by ROAD&DIRT
    Better late than never, the shots aren't all that great but here are few few pic's of my S60. I have since changed out the stock SCOTT saddle and replaced it with a gray and black VELO with the center cut.
    Very nice! More and more I'm starting to appreciate a subtler monochromatic color scheme. I like the shades of gray on gray you have there. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't refuse a new Pinarello if someone offered it, but after a while, they just start to hurt my eyes a little.

It looks like they did a much nicer job joining the seat-tube/top-tube/seat-stay junction on your frame than they did on mine. Mine has a bunch of slag around the seam.

Nice looking bottle cages, too.

Thanks for posting the pics.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 10-29-2009 at 11:12 AM.

So.... did you get to ride your bike more before winter set in?
    (Where are you located, anyway?)

I picked up Scott as my #2 brand without having even seen anything other than an Addict before. I'm glad I did. The 2010 Speedsters are amazing!

Once the store starts making money and I can actually start paying myself, I think I'll get myself a CR1 Elite.
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

What the what???
    Sadly, only one last 20 miler out and back before the snow hit.

I'm in Iowa and we got 17 inches last week that is still hanging around and they are predicting another big storm just before Christmas. This weekend I was planning to give the bike a good once-over and officially hang it up for the winter.

I am still a big fan of the Speedster. I think it's a great bike for the money. My only peeve is the cosmetic one I mentioned before with the slag on the weld at the junction of the seat tube/top tube/seat stays. Compared to how clean the rest of the bike is (the hydro-formed tubing, the seamless junction of top tube/down tube/head tube, etc.) that slag stands out, especially having lived with the bike for a while now. Hopefully, your 2010s have a cleaner weld.

Other than that, I am extremely pleased with the bike. It's light, responsive and the 105 group has been performing flawlessly after the initial break-in and adjustments. I still think it's the best all-around bike out there in that $1000 - $1200 price range.

Glad to hear you're carrying them at your store. I hope business is good so you can buy that CR1 Toss up a pic here of the Speedsters on your showroom floor when you get a chance.

S30 (blue) and S50 (red)
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Never Give Up!
    Nice looking rides... I'm a fan of the speedsteer too. I have been riding the S60 since April of this year and love it.
    "I refuse to be afraid of tomorrow, for I have seen yesterday & I love today!!"

"There are only two ways to establish competitive advantage: do things better than others or do them differently."

"Ability may get you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there."

2010 Orbea Onix w/Ultegra R8000
    2009 SCOTT Speedster w/Ultegra 6800
    2007 IRONHORSE HT

What the what???
    Outstanding! Both colors are very sharp. Good to see you've got your brand on them, also. From the pic with the shop in the background, it looks like things are progressing there nicely. Are you selling on the web? Do you plan to? It would be nice to throw some business where I know it will only be used for good, never for evil.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast