Speedsters and Addicts and CR1s...oh my!
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    What the what???

Speedsters and Addicts and CR1s...oh my!

Hey folks,

What started out as a review of the 2009 Scott Speedster S30 I purchased last year has grown to include a number of different contributors with a variety of different models of Scott road bike. So, I thought it would be beneficial to start a new thread to reflect that expansion. If you've got a Scott road bike and your looking to share your experience, ask questions, post pics...this is a place for you.
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

What the what???

As if I needed a reason...

to love my wife.

My Speedster has been up on blocks awaiting some new tires to replace the Hutchinson Equinox tires that came standard with the bike. My wife decided an early Father's Day present was in order. I found a really good deal on some 25c Michelin Krylions for $39.

But wait, there's more! The Ritchey adjustable stem I've had on the bike had done its job. I knew I needed a high angle stem. I had been looking at a Bontrager stem with a 40 degree angle that came in white and was hoping to maybe get it at Christmas. My wife knew I wanted it and ordered it without telling me. So, Christmas came early for me this year.

I put both the tires and the stem on the bike and managed to get in a 53 mile ride yesterday. The ubiquitous pic in front of the garage door is included below.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy you better leave something in the tank for the turn...

What the what???

Tires and stem

The Krylions are 25s. From a number of threads I've read around here about 23s vs. 25s I was hopeful that the 25s would make for a smoother ride. I wouldn't have expected to make as drastic a change as it seems to have, though. They not only smooth out the feel of small bumps and uneven payment, they smooth out the sound as well.

The stem is a Bontrager Race (105mm 40 degree). It comes pretty close to matching the angle and reach I had achieved with the Ritchey adjustable stem. If anything, it seems to have elevated the bars a little higher and brought them back a bit more than the Ritchey. My position on the bike is, therefore, more upright (saddle is level, bar tops are level, and the saddle is almost level with the bars) and the drops are more comfortable for longer stretches. More on that as I get some more miles in on the bike.

With the possible exception of a saddle at some point, these recent changes to the bike mark the last changes I plan to make unless something on the bike fails. Therefore, it might be a good time to do a quick recap of the changes I have made from the original 2009 Speedster S30.

Brake pads: Kool Stop salmon
    Tires: Michelin Krylion 25c
    Tubes: Michelin AirStop
    Seat Post: Sette APX zero setback
    Cages: Bontrager composite
    Computer: Cateye Micro Wireless
    Stem: Bontrager Race 105mm 40 degree
    Bar Tape: Profile Design
    Pedals: VP Beartraps
    Saddle: Terry Cite Y
    Crankset: SRAM GXP
    FD Cable: Jagwire Basic
    Last edited by Opus51569; 06-07-2010 at 07:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    In addition to being brilliant ladies our wives may have a great deal in common (with possible exception of my wife's taste in men, for which I am grateful). I still remember her encouragement to buy the Addict last year, despite my not having a job at the time.

It was a wise choice that I could not make by myself. Your new stem appears to be a similarly excellent choice!

By the way, in this view you can see the gray and black version of the WTB Laser V Team saddle that I find so comfortable.

What the what???
    Thanks. Twenty-one years and she still surprises me.

That saddle does look comfortable and, of course, the rest of your bike looks fantastic.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569
    . . . and, of course, the rest of your bike looks fantastic.
    Aw, shucks . . . Thanks!

What the what???
    Aside from the tires and saddle, have you made any other changes to it?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aside from the tires and saddle, have you made any other changes to it?
    Not much. A significantly quieter, smoother shifting, Dura-Ace chain replaced the SRAM original when it wore out. A carbon seat post with an easier-to-adjust, two-bolt clamp helped perfect saddle placement. You already know about that trick with your new post.

I tried a set of amazingly responsive Neuvation Aero wheels with Continental Supersonic tires that ended up on my wife’s bike. She says she won’t give them back. I’m too heavy for those racing tires anyway . . . so, a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels from Craig’s List replaced the heavier Ksyrium Equipe originals for me. They are "so not aero" but I haven’t won any lottery drawings . . . they will do.

Thanks for asking and reminding me how lucky I am.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB
    Aw, shucks . . . Thanks!
    Hey why don't you two go out on a date or something!

Both bikes look great but what is up with that ****** stem? Do you have a bad back or something?
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

What the what???
    Just more comfortable with the bars and saddle at roughly the same height. If you have a pic of your Scott, feel free to post it up. I promise not to say anything complimentary, for fear of it being misinterpreted...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Haha, I see. I ride occasionally with an older lady who has a stem setup like that, and let me tell you, somedays it's all I can do to keep up with her on 20mph rides, her stamina just doesn't give out. But anyway, no pic of my bike will be on this thread, I'm a bike snob, I ride a Look, and yes, it does actually garner some glances when I pull into the popular bikers rest stop, aka the local Starbucks. But there might be a picture in my future, my wife might be the owner of a Scott CR-1 by the end of the year. She's going to try out an Orbea and a Pinarello very soon, but I think that price will lead her to the Scott.
    Anything is possible when your man smells like Old Spice and not a lady!

Look 566
    SRAM Rival compact with 12-27
    Dura Ace 7850 SL Tubeless
    Hutchinson Fusion 3
    Cobb V-Flow Plus Saddle

What the what???
    Then I will keep an eye out for a pic and ride reports if she decides to go with the CR-1, though I have to admit Orbeas and Pinarellos are tough competition. For me it was an easier decision since I knew I was going the aluminum route and had a pretty limited budget.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Been a lurker her for a while... but felt compelled to post a picture of my new ride.

2010 CR1 Team with some hand built Deep V's laced to Ultegra hubs. Litterally just picked it up from the LBS an hour or so ago and haven't even had a chance to get out there with it yet. Lots of prep still to do... fit the bottle cages/cycling computer, etc. but I'm pumped.

This will be/is my first "real" dedicated road bike. Been a long time mountain biker that had to give it up because of a back injury (non-related). Sold the mt. bike and then purchased a Cannondale Bad Boy as a hybrid/fitness bike. Got completely borred with that in less than a year and sold it.

All winter long I had been itching to get back into cycling and I'm not sure what the straw that broke the camel's back was, but one day I just picked up the phone and made a fitting apt. Now a few short weeks later here I am.

Anyway.. Hello. I hope to learn a lot from everyone!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FeydR
    This will be/is my first "real" dedicated road bike. Been a long time mountain biker that had to give it up because of a back injury (non-related). Sold the mt. bike and then purchased a Cannondale Bad Boy as a hybrid/fitness bike. Got completely borred with that in less than a year and sold it.

Anyway.. Hello. I hope to learn a lot from everyone!
    Nice! I predict good things for you.

Despite many years of old-school road riding, including USCF competition, 25 years ago; my transition to modern technology is similar to yours. 7 years of mountain biking exclusively here in Arizona tapered off abruptly when my wife broke both a tibia and her clavicle on a rocky descent. Skinny road tires on my Cannondale Scalpel followed, but you can only be dropped so many times running out of gears on your 44x12 top end before the "need" for a real road bike becomes overwhelming. Luckily, that corresponded with great deals last year on closeout Scott's. Otherwise, I would be riding a much more modest bicycle.

Your CR1 Team looks like an awesome machine. No doubt we will be learning from you as well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    2008 54 R4.

IMG_4915.jpg
    Last edited by woodys737; 06-16-2010 at 01:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I'm most looking forward to just getting back into shape. The debilitation that hurting my back caused really took it's toll on my waistline, hence the beefy wheels.. LOL.

I don't know about learning from me since I'm a newb when it comes to anything with drop bars. As hardcore of a biker as I have always been I've never "clipped" into a bike before, so I think it's safe to assume that lesson 1 will be to not fall on my face at stoplights. haha.

RoadBikeReview Member
    As hardcore of a biker as I have always been I've never "clipped" into a bike before, so I think it's safe to assume that lesson 1 will be to not fall on my face at stoplights. haha.
    You'll be a past master in no time. You might practice on the grass a little first, if you like. At least with the SPD cleats/pedals that my wife and I use, the natural rotation of your knee outward as you try to put a foot down will automatically unlatch the cleat.

Starting with the pedal tension set low and with a little silicone spray on the pedals, even my wife can get out reliably. You will be fine!

Oh, and we like SPD cleats/pedals because we have several pairs of easy-to-walk-in, mountain biking shoes including sandals that accept SPD cleats. When the temperatures exceed 100 degrees here, sandals are a must . . . for me anyway.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by woodys737
    2008 54 R4.
    Elegant!

On of my friends here would much more approve of the understated markings on your 2008 Addict R4 than he does of the "glaring yellow lettering", in his words, on my 2009.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Starting with the pedal tension set low and with a little silicone spray on the pedals, even my wife can get out reliably. You will be fine!

Oh, and we like SPD cleats/pedals because we have several pairs of easy-to-walk-in, mountain biking shoes including sandals that accept SPD cleats. When the temperatures exceed 100 degrees here, sandals are a must . . . for me anyway.
    I did get some practice in while I was getting fitted for the bike... the platform they were using for the fit had SPD pedals on the cranks. I ended up going that route for the CR1 and got some SIDI shoes that will allow a decent amount of mobility off the bike.

What the what???
    I'm most looking forward to just getting back into shape. The debilitation that hurting my back caused really took it's toll on my waistline, hence the beefy wheels.. LOL.

I don't know about learning from me since I'm a newb when it comes to anything with drop bars. As hardcore of a biker as I have always been I've never "clipped" into a bike before, so I think it's safe to assume that lesson 1 will be to not fall on my face at stoplights. haha.
    A beautiful bike and a good choice to start with a fitting. It should help with the initial transition. Keep us posted with how it feels on the road.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    A beautiful bike and a good choice to start with a fitting. It should help with the initial transition. Keep us posted with how it feels on the road.
    Well I woke up with a raging headache this morning, but really wanted to go out... so I just got in a quick 8 mile ride before I felt like my eyeballs were going to explode.

Don't really have much to compare it to, but it is suuuuuper smooth and really easy to pedal/accelerate. Hoping tomorrow AM I can start to put in some real miles.

I've also ordered some wider tires (28s) in an effort to smooth out the ride a bit. It just has the OEM continental 23s on the wheels. I've basically had to pump them up to max pressure because of my weight which kind of leaves a bit of a jarring ride... hopefully the new tires will be here early next week and make it an even more comfortable ride.

So far so good.

RoadBikeReview Member
    With new tires on the way, you can afford to experiment a little. Try not exceeding 105 PSI in the front and not more than 115 PSI in the back. That should be more than enough to prevent rim damage regardless of your weight . . . presuming you can avoid pot holes and badly maintained rail crossings in your area.

Bad roads happen . . .

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    With new tires on the way, you can afford to experiment a little. Try not exceeding 105 PSI in the front and not more than 115 PSI in the back. That should be more than enough to prevent rim damage regardless of your weight . . . presuming you can avoid pot holes and badly maintained rail crossings in your area.

Bad roads happen . . .
    I was running 100F/118R today.... roads aren't too bad here, but I did try to stand up if was hitting any gnarly road seams which there were more than a few of.

Some of it could also be that I'm just keeping my upper body too tense, only amplifying the situation. I'm sure my form has LOTS of room for improvement... we'll see.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Try dropping that rear pressure. I discovered the hard way that even 115 is a little high for me. Did you know that skidding the rear wheel by hitting the brakes will destroy a $55 Vittoria Open Corsa EVO CX 700 x 23C tire almost instantly?

Dropping my pressure to ensure a larger tire patch has reduced that tendency, but with the weight transfer to the front wheel while braking, that rear wheel still gets pretty light. I'm now thinking 110 PSI in the rear (which is what I used to run with tubular tires) may be the absolute maximum for me. I love the lively feel of a hard tire, but the tire I just replaced because of multiple glass and thorn punctures had an impressive bald spot from my last attention lapse that led to sudden braking.

By the way, Stan's sealant works great in road tires if you have Continental tubes with removable valve cores to facilitate installing it. I frequently experience punctures with all the glass and thorns on the Arizona shoulders I travel, but seldom have an actual flat, thanks to Stan's. I feel that the ounce of weight it adds is worth it for the freedom from roadside repair sessions, even if it is rotating weight.

As an ex-mountain biker, I presume you are familiar with Stan's. Yeah, it is a pain to clean the frame after a major puncture.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2005
    Elegant!

On of my friends here would much more approve of the understated markings on your 2008 Addict R4 than he does of the "glaring yellow lettering", in his words, on my 2009.
    The white is a bit much for me now. The ride, fit/geometry was what I was after and the price was right...

I don't mind the yellow lettering so much on your frame. But, some of the lines (graphics) just don't seem to flow.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast