Who manufactures Scott CR 1 frames? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeshopguy
    sounds right to me; cannondale, specialized, scott, fuji all using the same chinese guys to make they frames

why not consider a Trek that is at least different - or maybe an Italian frame

Did you change your mind or something?

All kinds of 'Italian' frames are made in Taiwan; shipped via container to Italy; pianted and decaled in Italy and sold as "made In Italy"

Bianchi is not the only one to do this; most makers do it; it even happens with bars, stems, seatposts and sadles

customers are buying stuff all the time assuming it is from one place; when in fact it is from somewhere else

bottom line is ~ do not count on the country of origin sticker meaning much if anything; instead buy what you like or think is a good deal or whatever - without regard to claims by manufacturer (including where it was made)

May 2002
    Sora is also made by the same people as Durache, does this mean it's real nice as well?

Jun 2004
    sounds right to me; cannondale, specialized, scott, fuji all using the same chinese guys to make they frames why not consider a Trek that is at least different - or maybe an Italian frame
    Well, that's a pretty ignorant statement. Are the Cannondale, Specialized, Scott, and Fuji built the same? With the same techniques? Materials?

Pretty much all you seem to notice is the Chinese part.

Treks are different? They're everywhere. To me, that doesn't say different. Sure they're fine bikes.....but different? Lemme guess: you push Treks in you shop.

l'illustre sconosciuto
    Scott does not produce anything themselves. From what I have been told, both Merida and Giant turned down the project to build the CR-1 because they didn't believe it to be strong enough. The frame is therefore being built in mainland China and then shipped to Taiwan for painting, final assembly and shipment.

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dnalsaam
    The frame is therefore being built in mainland China and then shipped to Taiwan for painting, final assembly and shipment.
    What I'd like to know is where the China plant is. In another post I was told that it's in Xiamen. But where?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mp3ison
    This is even more amazing information. I was told factories purchased frames from special frame shops and that Specialized, Fuji, and Cannondale all got frasmes from this same company that makes Scott frames.

Are you sure this Merida company makes all Specialized frames? And do they make any other brands of bikes - or just Specialized?
    Wow, you have a LOT to learn...
    Not trying to be mean or anything, just commenting that the bike industry is probably one of the most confusing, convoluted businesses in the world!
    Giant and Merida are the two biggest contract builders in the world, and Giant does almost twice what Merida does. Merida saw the success that Giant is having with it's own brand, and got nervous, hence an investment in Specialzed. I've been told that it's in the ballpark of a 49.xx% share of the company.
    There are quite a few other companies doing bikes, Pacific (not related to the Pacific that owns Schwinn/GT/Mongoose), Leader, Topeak, Giant Phoenix, Ideal, literally dozens, if not hundreds, of companies. A lot of these companies don't just make bikes/frames, they'll make rims, shifters, forks, stems, seatposts, etc. They make lots and lots of different things.
    As far as Giant refusing to make the Scotts for safety reasons, I highly doubt that. I know that Giant's cabon labs (C-Tech) are at capacity making the Giant bikes, they just don't have any time to make frames for anyone else. Giant is selling every single frame it can churn out, they're working 3 shifts a day just to keep up. I also know that a very major US bike company approached Giant a couple of years ago, asking them to make their new line of carbon bikes, but Giant didn't have the time, they wanted to focus on their own products. That company eventually found a builder in the US, but I'm sure they're not making the margin they were hoping to.
    Giant used to make 80%+ of Specialized's bikes, but with Merida's investment, that's dropped a bit, it's still probably about half though. Merida is busy keeping up with their orders, and Giant/Specialized had multi-year contracts as well. Plus factor in tooling, machinery, etc, and it's not just like flipping a switch.
    Wow, that was a bit of a rant, sorry. I do have distinct knowledge of this stuff, I'm not just some guy guessing at things. It's all pretty interesting, and the bike industry is probably on of the most inbred/interconnected businesses on the planet...
    Fun stuff though...

BN

Do not touch the trim.
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeNerd2453
    Not trying to be mean or anything, just commenting that the bike industry is probably one of the most confusing, convoluted businesses in the world!
    Giant and Merida are the two biggest contract builders in the world, and Giant does almost twice what Merida does. Merida saw the success that Giant is having with it's own brand, and got nervous, hence an investment in Specialzed. I've been told that it's in the ballpark of a 49.xx% share of the company.
    There are quite a few other companies doing bikes, Pacific (not related to the Pacific that owns Schwinn/GT/Mongoose), Leader, Topeak, Giant Phoenix, Ideal, literally dozens, if not hundreds, of companies. A lot of these companies don't just make bikes/frames, they'll make rims, shifters, forks, stems, seatposts, etc. They make lots and lots of different things.
    As far as Giant refusing to make the Scotts for safety reasons, I highly doubt that. I know that Giant's cabon labs (C-Tech) are at capacity making the Giant bikes, they just don't have any time to make frames for anyone else. Giant is selling every single frame it can churn out, they're working 3 shifts a day just to keep up. I also know that a very major US bike company approached Giant a couple of years ago, asking them to make their new line of carbon bikes, but Giant didn't have the time, they wanted to focus on their own products. That company eventually found a builder in the US, but I'm sure they're not making the margin they were hoping to.
    Giant used to make 80%+ of Specialized's bikes, but with Merida's investment, that's dropped a bit, it's still probably about half though. Merida is busy keeping up with their orders, and Giant/Specialized had multi-year contracts as well. Plus factor in tooling, machinery, etc, and it's not just like flipping a switch.
    Wow, that was a bit of a rant, sorry. I do have distinct knowledge of this stuff, I'm not just some guy guessing at things. It's all pretty interesting, and the bike industry is probably on of the most inbred/interconnected businesses on the planet...
    Fun stuff though...

BN
    Nice write up. I'm pretty sure A-Pro is doing the Specialized aluminum S-Works stuff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    I'm considering a 2006 Pinarello Galileo as a second bike, and I hear the frame is made in Asia. Does anyone here have any info on this? Now the Pinarello frame is pretty unique in appearance (they still go with traditional geometry), and the low-end Galileo has the exact same appearance as their high end Dogma-FP, so any factory in Taiwan coming out with this frame would be a dead giveaway.

Apparently this 'sourcing' issue is a sensitive spot with Pinarello, as they have ignored both e-mails I sent them in regards to where the 2006 Galileo - and their generic M.O.ST products - are made. It's already been discovered their 2005 F14:13 carbon frame is being sourced in Taiwan.

Here is a pic of the 2006 Galileo; the fork/seatstays will obviously be coming out of Italy as they are the same (Onda) as on the Dogma:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    sounds right to me; cannondale, specialized, scott, fuji all using the same chinese guys to make they frames

why not consider a Trek that is at least different - or maybe an Italian frame
    I went with a TCR Comp 1 for my first bike, as there is good, solid feedback on Giant carbon frames (plus the lifetime warrantee). The Trek I heard has a wooden feel. The Italian frames are outrageously priced; figure around $3500-5000+, and lately, some of the stuff is coming out of Taiwan anyway. The Scattante was reviewed in Bicyling Mag and the testers felt the frame didn't have the road feel and refinement of higher end carbon stuff. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

I subtracted the price of components on my TCR Comp 1 (pretty high-end stuff like Fizik Aliante saddle, FSA Mega-Exo crank, Dura-Ace rear, Mavic Elites), and the price of the full carbon (2.09 lb.) frame came out to around $440 . Giant even threw in some Time ATAC pedals on the complete bike.

jm3
    RoadBikeReview Member

What's intersting is...

Quote Originally Posted by BikeNerd2453
    Fun stuff though...

BN
    Scott's and Giant's come boxed identically, right down to the plastic cable ends. Giant owns a lot of the smaller manufacturers - Topeak, I believe, is one of them. If not, they work VERY closely together, but I've been led to believe they're owned by Giant. You're so correct about it being convoluted - I don't even believe half the info I'm given. Actually, I like the inbred comment. So true - unless you're there, and seeing it all for yourself, it would be hard to know who's doing what.

I'm also not sure the new Specialized Tarmac's are made by Merida - I believe they're produced by the same manufacturer as Scott, or by the manufacturer Scott was using last year. The process is pretty much identical as is - surprise, surprise, the way they're packaged.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    The Pinarello guys were wondering where that new F14:13 (or whatever) full CF frame was being sourced. Well at $2700 list for the frame, ain't Italy (it's been confirmed). The clicker was when somebody said he saw a whole bunch of frames (the shape is very distinctive) being final-finished at some plant on the East Coast for some other bike manufacturer .

The $5,000 Kuotos look dead on like a TCR Comp 1, but with turquoise paint. If you look at the 2006 full CF Colnago CF4, it has the latest, aerodynamic, compact frame look. Gawd, it looks just like a TCR Comp 1 except they bowed the seatstays up rather than down, for variety. Heaven knows how much this frame will retail for.
    Last edited by Clevor; 11-17-2005 at 04:26 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Here is a $1650 TCR Comp 3:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Here is an $8500 Colnago CF4 Ferrari:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2005
    Martec is the company that makes all of Specializeds' carbon frames. They also make Kutoa, Argon18, Lapierre and a ton of other brands. Topeak makes the Scott CR1, Fuji carbon and a couple of others. Martec also makes all of the Trek carbon forks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This is a classic read regarding the bike biz....

Lots of good info here...

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...s/bikebiz.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12