Feb 2004

discontent and stirrings of revolt at Serotta site

Something about a tuna fish sandwich?
    http://www.serotta.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5050

eminence grease
    Quote Originally Posted by rodetoruin
    Read that this morning. The Serotta forum is my #1 source for cycling related humor on the net. This one I thought was really rich - "we've already dropped ~5 grand on our Ottrots, isn't the new one for 6 grand an outrage?"

Feb 2004
    I read it before you posted this thread, but is not a revolt... I know you did not mean that.

It is a great thread: just some things to think upon, and this is coming from a guy with a +$5000 Serotta Csi.

In reality, it is a great thread to read. Good idea to link it here.

Terry, I own the bike. Do you dare me to post pictures?...

Didn't think so...

spankdoggie
    Do not hate the player... Hate the game.

Jan 2003
    i can buy the best frame there is for $1000 and won't pay anymore than that. you say my standards are low? maybe... but i'm not a sheik and my car is not a rolls royce. anything less is average, right? i can buy a (steel) custom frame , done by a guy w/enough knowledge , for the neghbourhood of $1000. that bike will fit me and have me ridin fast and comfortable. and i'm not even talkin bou findin a high end 10yr old bike on ebay for much less...
    if i was a sheik, i could bring ernesto colnago to my guest house and have him spend a month waitin till i feel like being fit for a c50. that would be expensive... but i bet i wouldn't be faster or happier than on my $1000 bike.
    www.flaviocolker.com.br
    i am in love w/a black woman.

Burning Fists of Love

So, what is in the name?

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    i can buy the best frame there is for $1000 and won't pay anymore than that. you say my standards are low? maybe... but i'm not a sheik and my car is not a rolls royce. anything less is average, right? i can buy a (steel) custom frame , done by a guy w/enough knowledge , for the neghbourhood of $1000. that bike will fit me and have me ridin fast and comfortable. and i'm not even talkin bou findin a high end 10yr old bike on ebay for much less...
    if i was a sheik, i could bring ernesto colnago to my guest house and have him spend a month waitin till i feel like being fit for a c50. that would be expensive... but i bet i wouldn't be faster or happier than on my $1000 bike.
    You are probably correct. The amazing thing is that it all boils down to the fact that its a bike. Period.

If you have the extra 5+ grand for the bike great. THEN, its time to buy the wheels to go with it because hey, if you want to spend, then do it right.

So, after the 2 grand wheel set because you went and had a full carbon custom set right, you have to stop fooling around and get the gruppo to grace the frame. SO....Only real riders have 10 grand bikes.....and the deed to the bridge I just sold them
    This old anvil has cracked alot of hammers

Cheese is my copilot
    Is he talking albacore tuna or just regular tuna?

Jun 2004
    I would say that the $10 and $12 sandwiches would have to be albacore, but the $5 and $6 sandwiches are merely the plain tuna. That would have to account for the price difference. Maybe with albacore the price could go as high as $17, but he said that $20 was too much no matter what. It's really a tough call though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004

What the traffic will bear

I built custom electric bass guitars for quite a few years. The customer got to pick from an amazing array of options and spent around $2000.

In any market, there is a high end. In bass guitars, one of the "top end", at least in terms of price, is Fodera. They certainly build a nice bass but at $5K-$7K a pop, you might think it would play itself. It's not made for bar band salaries, it's for folks that really want a unique instrument and are willing to pay for it.

This brings up the automatic price/performance comparision by consumers. The Fodera should sound/play 3 times better than my brand (which is already high end comparatively) if a linear scale was applicable. It isn't and it never will be. A good player (or rider, whatever) will be able to do what they do on far less expensive gear.

There are a amazing amount of people out there with money in any hobby (guitars, cars, bicycles, motorcycles, you name it). They want the best and are willing to pay for it. Does spending huge money make the item better than a less expensive choice? Usually not, at least in really tangable terms. The more expensive item is more rare, has more flash (in the case of guitars, inlay, electronics, woods etc), and has more snob appeal. It won't make you a better player, faster rider etc. But it's cool and you can impress your friends.

Anyone can post a product and ask a high price. Those that can actually sell it deserve to do so. It takes years to establish a brand, a customer base and such. Serotta makes a whole range of bikes. Those that want to spend $5-6K on a frame will continue to do so and Serotta will help them do it.

I hate tuna by the way, albacore or not:-)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2004

I love road bikes and albacore tuna...

I have been in love with road bikes since I was a 13 which makes me a 30 year vet. Over the years I've paid mre than I want to say for all manner of road bikes and have enjoyed them all. Paying $5-6K for a bike unless you profession is racing them is (to me) not about the bike.There is a certain cache, I guess, to tooling around town on a 5 grand machine. Just as there is to eating albacore tuna with imported dijon while everyone around you eats chunk light Bumble Bee with Miracle Whip(yechhhhhh). No dis to Serotta (great bikes) but damn $6000.00 for a frameset. I guess in a world where Donald Trump gets a "reality" show and becomes an ostensible cultural icon, what the hell, what's 5 or 6 grand anywho? I'll keep ridin' my 15 yr old Bridgestone or 12 yr-old Trek or 31 yr-old Schwinn or no named fixie commuter and find pleasure in those old (apparently underpriced) boys
    peace .

eminence grease
    Why would I possibly doubt you own the bike? Lots of people own Serottas. Great bike, great price. But be glad to dare ya - post the pix.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodetoruin
    That was good stuff. 'Revolt' on the Serotta forum reminds me of an elemetary grade class all coughing at the stroke of eleven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can understand spending $250,000 on a Ferrari, but I can't understand spending $5000 on a bike frame. Whatever Richard Sachs currently charges is the most I would ever consider spending.

Jul 2004

Cool I disagree to a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    I can understand spending $250,000 on a Ferrari, but I can't understand spending $5000 on a bike frame. Whatever Richard Sachs currently charges is the most I would ever consider spending.
    Sorry Henry, I also have trouble with 250,000 for a Ferrari, Sweet car, But let see, you could buy a Hemi Cuda and 429 Boss Mustang and through in a Shelby GT350. Three for one and a lot more fun.

Have always been a huge fan of the Serotta but always felt they were more money than I could justify. ITS JUST A BIKE!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan
    Sorry Henry, I also have trouble with 250,000 for a Ferrari, Sweet car, But let see, you could buy a Hemi Cuda and 429 Boss Mustang and through in a Shelby GT350. Three for one and a lot more fun.

Have always been a huge fan of the Serotta but always felt they were more money than I could justify. ITS JUST A BIKE!
    Well from an investment perspective I definitely agree. I'd probably opt for five M code 69.5 Road Runners/Super Bees.

RoadBikeReview Member

Somebody should Troll on over

With something like

"Thinking of getting Ottrot for my 13 year old. Anyone got any fit advice ?"

Scot Gore, Minneapolis

RoadBikeReview Member

Remember the J's

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    Well from an investment perspective I definitely agree. I'd probably opt for five M code 69.5 Road Runners/Super Bees.
    I have a bias toward the 426 E Body J

Adrenalina Italiana

John Kerry has 6 of those bad boys.

I seen a bling off between himself and president Bush on MTV.Showed Bush with all of his hunting and golfing equipment and then Kerry with his six Serrotas. All of them euipped with Campy of course. My question would be why six of the same bike? Would there be considerable amount of difference between each of them?
    " the odds are good, the goods are even odder."

If You See Kay

Just A Guess:

Quote Originally Posted by SPINDAWG
    I seen a bling off between himself and president Bush on MTV.Showed Bush with all of his hunting and golfing equipment and then Kerry with his six Serrotas. All of them euipped with Campy of course. My question would be why six of the same bike? Would there be considerable amount of difference between each of them?
    With a hectic travel schedule during the campaign, perhaps several of those bikes are sent ahead in advance so all JK has to do is throw a leg over and go. Just a guess.

Deek
    "The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese"--unknown

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2002
    I always read about how expensive Serottas are. In reality, they are priced right in the middle of most high end bikes, except their top-of-the-line model, the Ottrott, which is very expensive.
    Their standard TIG steel frame comes with custom geometry and custom tube selection, choice of many colors and paint styles, for $1495. They have a standard geometry steel frame for $1095. Keep in mind these are amongst the very best steel frames in the world. They are not exclusively rich people's bikes- they are beautifully functional frames.