New to this site, hope you can help!
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010

New to this site, hope you can help!

Hello to everyone this is my first post here so pleased to meet you all.

I'm here because a very good friend of mine gave me a bike which was his fathers, unfortunately his parents are divorced now and the bike is his. It sat in his garage and I asked him about it and he decided that I could just have it. Anyway the bike is a Serotta in very pristine condition. Unfortunately I know nothing of these bicycles because I'm more into vintage Schwinn's.

But my question is if I post some pictures on here would you be able to tell me what Serotta it is exactly? I'm curious to find out how much it's worth especially because my friend was unaware that the bike is worth anything, and I browsed online to find they go for $1,600 to $9,000. On the frame it just has the Serotta logo but no other name specifying the make of the bike. Hope you guys can help.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Some pictures came out blurry but if necessary I can re-take.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Holy upright stem, batman!
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    haha I know tell me about it, I personally wouldn't ride it like that ever, I just left it untouched the way I got it.

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    It looks like a mid to late 80s Nova model. There appears to be a decal on the top tube, what does it say. Also there is a serial number stamped on the underneath of the bottom bracket, which you should post here. All this info would help. The style of the Serotta decals on your bike were used until the late 80s.

I have some catalogs from this era and would be glad to provide the info.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    The top tube sticker looks like it says "Flicker"? And I looked under the BB and all it had stamped was I forget what name but under that saying "made in Italy." I'll try to find a serial number but the bike's extremely light so any idea what the frames made out of around that time period or is it depending on model?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Yeah I just looked again and there's only a "Cinelli" stamp engraved on the bottom bracket. Is there other places where the serial number could be?

Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
    Quote Originally Posted by schwinnrider
    The top tube sticker looks like it says "Flicker"? And I looked under the BB and all it had stamped was I forget what name but under that saying "made in Italy." I'll try to find a serial number but the bike's extremely light so any idea what the frames made out of around that time period or is it depending on model?
    During the late 80s, Serotta made a model called "Slicker" which it sounds like you have. There will be a serial number stamped somewhere on the bottom bracket though paint may make it hard to see. The "Cinelli" and "made in Italy" just identify the maker of the bottom bracket, which was widely used by Serotta for many years.

Here's what my 1986 Serotta catalog says about the Slicker (copied verbatim):
    "The SLICKER is the latest addition to the Serotta line-up. For those who want the feel of a light and nimble racing cycle but don't want the discomfort of drop bars of the rigidity and quickness of a racing frame, the SLICKER is sure to please. Geometry is similar to racing bicycles of the early seventies but with a more relaxed steering angle which add to stability and comfort, mating will with straight style (mountain and commuter) handlebars.

FEATURES: Columbus SL tubing is sizes 58; SP in larger sizes. All frame materials are absolutely state-of-the-art. Braze-on features include: top tube cable guides; chainstay cable stop: chain hanger: front and rear fender/carrier eyelets; pump peg on head tube (not necessary on frames 52 and smaller); derailler cable stops on the down tube, and carrier mounts on the seatstays.

RIDE CHARACTERISTICS: The SLICKER is excellent for city riding, commuting, touring, or just plain fast fun riding. You will enjoy the feel of a light responsive racing bike without the discomfort.

STOCK SIZES: 47, 50, 53, 56, 59, 62

STOCK COLORS: Lavender/Rose, Onyx

OPTIONS: Custom sizing option (top tube and seat tube length), non-standard color/s, chrome fork and stays, non-standard braze-ons, and of course componants. See price list for details.

SIZING 47 50 53 56 59
    Head angle 73 71 71 71 71
    Seat angle 74 74 73 73 73
    Top tube 500 500 530 560 580
    chainstay 430 430 430 430 430
    Rake 57 57 57 57 57
    Drop 75 75 70 70 70"

You've got a dandy bike, very representative of the 80s and made by a well respected American builder who's still around building fine bikes. Ben Serotta came to really big fame when the Serotta-built bikes and the 7/Eleven team made their mark in the Tour de France, later the Coors Light team and under various riders in the Olympics helped cement the Serotta name.

Hope this helped. Please do take and post some better pics, we'd all like to see them.
    Trying to cram the rest of my life into the rest of my life!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    I will tonight and thanks a lot for the help. The bike does seem pretty nice it has newer Rigida rims on it and what looks like new tires.

Unfortunately I steer more towards older bikes and fixed gears which I'm actually trying to build as we speak but since I'm out of work it's hard to get the funding. But how much do you think these bikes are worth? I would honestly rather see somebody that is really into Serottas or higher end road bikes have this because it's in very good condition.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Hey guys here's a link to more, clearer pictures. I still can't find the serial number I and I check the BB probably 15 times and looked over the rest of the frame, anywhere else it could be?

https://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a...sh666/Serotta/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by schwinnrider
    Hey guys here's a link to more, clearer pictures. I still can't find the serial number I and I check the BB probably 15 times and looked over the rest of the frame, anywhere else it could be?

https://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a...sh666/Serotta/
    https://forums.serotta.com/
    Post your pictures here in the general discussion area and the image gallery and you will get some answers.