Serotta - carbon, carbon ti, and all ti
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2004

Serotta - carbon, carbon ti, and all ti

After a 12 year layoff, I've returned to cycling this year. And the Serotta classifieds have been calling like a siren. Within last two months, I've purchased two Serottas: an Ottrott Ti and Fierte Carbon. And I already have a Concours CX cross bike. I hadn't planned on the Fierte but I couldn't pass up the deal on a full carbon Fierte, which I think was only made for one or two years (2008). Years ago when I was younger and poorer, I lusted after a Serotta Legend titanium. I guess the lust never goes away.

Here are are my new loves -- Ottrott, Fierte and Concours. The Ottrott is a really smooth ride, good amount of stiffness in the bb and rear, and weights 17.04 lbs with pedals. I wasn't sure if I should eliminate some of the spacers by using a 6-degree stem, instead of the -17 degree stem, but I think it looks better as is with the stem and top tube parallel to each other. Opinions?

I took the Fierte on its maiden voyage today and the full carbon ride was really plush on some bad roads. I haven't owned a full carbon ride since I owned a Giant Cadex and surprised how much I liked the ride. The Fierte really did dampen the small holes and patched up roads, and handled the long downhills with aplomb. I could flex the bike a bit more when I climbed while standing (I'm not a lightweight at 174 lbs either), but I guess that's the tradeoff for the comfort. The bike is the lightest that I've ever owned at 16.05 lbs (with pedals) and could shave another half a pound with lighter wheels like the HED Ardennes on the Ottrott (currently DT240s on DT R465 rims); plus I will cut the steerer once I've dialed in the fit. Hard to see in the pics but the frame is an all-nude carbon look, which looks pretty cool in the daylight.

The cross bike weighs about 19 lbs but it's built well with solid alloy components. I just got a new set of wheels (from Joe Young) to put on for offroad -- Velocity A23 rims and White Indust H4 hubs. I'm going to put some V-brakes on the front to remove the cable hangar, as I need to lower the handlebars and don't have much room left to do so (tall head tube).

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004
    Nice stable of bikes ya got there. Welcome back to cycling.