2011 Axiom SL

Thread: 2011 Axiom SL

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Wow nice bike. Those painted fork are killer and a real change from the normal black carbon. I never would have though of doing that. What color did they use?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009

2011 Axiom SL

My Seven Axiom SL arrived sometime in June. Initially it just didn't fit like a glove and I was wondering if I'd purchased the right bike. After tweeking of the saddle down and aft a few mm's the balance and the ride came together ... just like I had hoped for. When I ordered the bike I want it to transfer power well for climbing and ride like it was on rails. It does just that! Plus it's amazing that I can feel so much better after a century. My previous bike was an Aluminum frame with carbon seat stays.

About the look, I didn't want the classic Ti and Black color scheme. Painting the fork really changed the look of the bike. The wheels were assembled by Zen, White Industry hubs, Cxray spokes and Kinlin rims.

About the bike. According to the Seven build sheet, the bike has a 54.8 cm effective top tube, 48 cm set tube and 13.6 cm head tube. Short legs, long torso.

On the Seven build form it specified (revised to add this)
    Handling - 5
    Drive Trail Rigidity - 9
    Vertical Compliance - 4
    Weight to Performance - 8

As pictured it weighs 17.4 lbs. As I tell everyone when they ask how much it weighs ... "It wasn't an exercise in making the lightest bike, it was about assembling a great handling and riding bike."
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by medimond; 11-27-2011 at 02:57 PM.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by medimond View Post
    Seven called the color Platinum. I first told them I wanted the fork to look like the Moots RSL fork and they said, sure, we do that fairly regularly.
    Well they done good then!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike T. View Post
    Wow nice bike. Those painted fork are killer and a real change from the normal black carbon. I never would have though of doing that. What color did they use?
    Seven called the color Platinum. I first told them I wanted the fork to look like the Moots RSL fork and they said, sure, we do that fairly regularly.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Here's a few photos Seven provided taken during the manufacturing process. Head tube butting, machining and welding (by L. Trout).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Formosan Cyclocross
    Nice! I like the red.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2008
    that is one of the most balanced rides on this site!

enjoy a zillion miles on that beauty!

RoadBikeReview Member
    You rated the handling a "5". Was that because it is too slow in response, too fast, twitchy....? Looks-wise it looks superb. -

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcrosshairs View Post
    You rated the handling a "5". Was that because it is too slow in response, too fast, twitchy....? Looks-wise it looks superb. -
    That's not his ratings, that's how Seven builds them custom. They ask how you want them to act - from 1 to 10. In the handling, he chose 5 - neither quick nor slow. Kinda neutral.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Well they done good then!
    Mike did you notice that I had them assemble it with grey cable housing?

I had Zen assemble the wheels with one red spoke hoping that it would help me locate the valve stem quicker ... it didn't seem to help.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Mike did you notice that I had them assemble it with grey cable housing?
    Well yes and no. As I only ever use grey housing, it didn't stand out to me.

I had Zen assemble the wheels with one red spoke hoping that it would help me locate the valve stem quicker ... it didn't seem to help.
    Yeah I saw the red locator spoke too. Maybe you should have gone for two - one on each side of the valve. BUT - I have to knock you a few points off here as you committed an unforgivable faux-pas - you didn't align the rear tire logo with the valve!! OMG Ya can't fool ol' Eagle Eye.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    Well yes and no. As I only ever use grey housing, it didn't stand out to me.

Yeah I saw the red locator spoke too. Maybe you should have gone for two - one on each side of the valve. BUT - I have to knock you a few points off here as you committed an unforgivable faux-pas - you didn't align the rear tire logo with the valve!! OMG Ya can't fool ol' Eagle Eye.
    Yeah ... the point of the grey cable housing was not to stand out.

Originally the rear tire was clocked properly, however, during a rushed roadside repair I missed that fine detail. It's one of those details that get lost when I'm rolling along.

A wheelist
    Feb 2004
    Originally the rear tire was clocked properly, however, during a rushed roadside repair I missed that fine detail. It's one of those details that get lost when I'm rolling along.
    I wouldn't have admitted that. I'd have said that it was all lined up but after doing standing start sprints I noticed that the tire must have slipped on the rim due to my incredible power.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    I road 60 miles last weekend with a friend .... Every time that I get on the Seven I have a permanent smile on my face, the ride quality is simply amazing.

I purchased a full carbon Rocky Mountain road bike with Rival to leave at work two months ago. Leaving the Seven overnight at work was something I was not comfortable about. The bikes are set-up nearly identical, less than 5 mm in reach and saddle to bar drop is closer than that. While the Rocky is a nice bike, the Seven's ride quality is amazing.

After riding SRAM for the last year, my wife's Ultegra lever's seem so complicated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Let's delete or close this threak already! When I log into forums I usually stumble on this, then I drool a little, then my bank account comes dangerously close to shrinking.

Seriously...awesome ride you've got there. I think I need one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2006
    We can't close this thread - my frame has entered machining! I religiously check this forum to see if there are any new pictures of other people's Axioms for me to drool over until mine arrives. I've been patiently waiting, checking the Seven website every day to see when it moves into the next phase and when it's going to come home to papa. It can't come soon enough!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Did you ask for the photos of fabrication, or do they send them to you by default?

I'm almost done with my design process... my bike should enter machining next week... can hardly wait!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    BTW, Medimond, I chose exactly the same color for decals

Looks like I might do a couple more things like you... including the gray cable housing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    You'll have to request that they take photos during the process.