Axiom SL with BB30
    RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

Axiom SL with BB30

I was wondering if it was worth ordering BB30 on my Axiom SL. I also was thinking of running Campy Chorus and Hollowgram cranks with the 135mm spider just to go to BB30. Is all this worth the trouble if I am not a racer? Is BB30 THAT much stiffer? I live in a hilly area and do climb often and want the BB stiff, but still want a comfortable ride for centuries.

Never having ordered a custom bike before, just can't decide what might be best for the long term. Going to the first fitting next week - can't wait to get rolling on this!

Formosan Cyclocross
    I considered BB30 for a few minutes, and I DO race. I decided that the technology doesn't offer enough to risk it becoming a technology of the moment and tying my bike to that standard.

grizzly moderator
    I went through the same thinking process and at the end I decided to stay with the english 68, although it took me a bit more than a few minutes. The perceived difference is more on paper than in real life from real people.
    Furthermore, the replacement of the BB30 is already out.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Replacement is already out? Referring to BB90, or?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan View Post
    I considered BB30 for a few minutes, and I DO race. I decided that the technology doesn't offer enough to risk it becoming a technology of the moment and tying my bike to that standard.
    My thoughts exactly when I bought mine...and the reason why I didn't opt for the internal cable routing for Di2 shifting.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    Replacement is already out? Referring to BB90, or?
    No, 386 EVO
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by gtran1502 View Post
    My thoughts exactly when I bought mine...and the reason why I didn't opt for the internal cable routing for Di2 shifting.
    I don't think electronic shifting is a fad. I think it's here to stay especially when, not if, will trickle down to 105 and the like.
    It's simply amazing, no missed shifts and no more trips to the bike shop for derailleur adjustments. It's a win-win.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Yes, but here are also rumors that actual cables may be the next thing to go and replaced with wireless shifting. Can you imagine how many grams you'd be able to shave...

grizzly moderator
    Yes, but here are also rumors that actual cables may be the next thing to go and replaced with wireless shifting. Can you imagine how many grams you'd be able to shave...
    I've heard the rumors about wireless. When and how are still largely unknown. The Ui2 at hand is pretty swift and it's here now. Personally, I'm not into the gram shaving thing assuming weight is kept at reasonable levels. On my current bike I am using Ultegra cassette, chain and brakes on a DA setup. For the new bike I'm thinking Ui2 with maybe a DA crank for purely aesthetic reasons.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2008
    Crap, I'm too young to be against technology, but there's something ib me that says electronic shifting is just wrong.

I do my own wrenching so adjustments aren't a big deal. Miss shifts, seldom happen for me.

grizzly moderator
    @gtran1502

That's your point of view and I respect it although I can't say I see the logic. Electronic shifting is not automatic shifting. You still push a lever to shift; you just don't need to worry how far to push it so it does not miss shift.
    Miss shifts wit mechanical gruppos do happen, especially with heavy winter gloves and when fatigue takes its toll.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Electronic or manual, I'm somewhat agnostic for now. I want the more reliable, better shifting, and comfortable system. I love technology, but also appreciate the arguments regarding simplicity. In the end, I want 5 nines reliability. This is 99.999% uptime.

As for BB's, I'm thinking going with a standard that is widely accepted is a good thing. In the data comm field, we have many standards that allow products from many different manufactures to work together and these standards are ratified by a 3rd party standards body. If we didn't have standards for network protocols like IP, no Internet. For consumers, this will lower the cost of ownership by having manufactures compete in a more level palying field, while lowering development costs for manufactures. How does this happen in the bike world? It appears to me that the manufactures themselves set the 'standards'. We have at least 5 different BB's today and that number is likely to grow. This is bad for everyone, no?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I would get disc brake tabs as well, they are obviously the next big thing.

and wireless is also the obvious step. it will make the electronics easier to make water resistant.

I went with the "normal" BB. the number of options made me a bit nervous

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Disc brakes mean different spacing at the rear - 130mm vs 135 for disc setup. Not sure I would go there now.

Formosan Cyclocross
    That is true. It appears manufacturers may market a 130mm disc hub option.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    That is true. It appears manufacturers may market a 130mm disc hub option.
    I've not heard that, and that would be really nice, but the uncertainty still makes me nervous. Seven also suggested brake cable guides as well. So to add this for the future, you would need the tabs for the disc, the cable guides, and 135mm spacing with a hub spacer for your current 130mm wheelset. Just seems like too many unknowns for something that may still be 5 years away for a really good disc setup. I'm going to discuss this with my LBS as well, and then make that decision. Cool thing is I HAVE A CHOICE! I can do it wither way and Seven can accomodate. I love that I'm in control of such decisions.

ktc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by gtran1502 View Post
    Crap, I'm too young to be against technology, but there's something ib me that says electronic shifting is just wrong.
    I'm in the same camp as you, something about it just isn't right. I think it's the contrast of cycling being transportation in the most basic form, being corrupted by technology.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ktc View Post
    I think it's the contrast of cycling being transportation in the most basic form, being corrupted by technology.
    Never seen any of my bikes as means of transportation. My cars are doing that, my bikes serve a totally different purpose. Technology enhances the experience. This is the basic premise why Ti, carbon fiber, multiple gear shifting, ergo components etc were evolved to their present application state in the cycling world. It's evolution in one of it's many forms and it's been happening since the beginning of time.
    Nothing wrong in being nostalgic and having a steel fixie in your stable but calling it "corrupted" is stretching it a bit too far.

ktc
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Sorry, corrupted was perhaps too strong but was meant as an opinion, not a fact. It's simply a bit of technology between you and the bike, no longer the direct connection of my fingers actually moving the duraillers. I've always driven a stick shift car for the same reason.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ktc View Post
    Sorry, corrupted was perhaps too strong but was meant as an opinion, not a fact. It's simply a bit of technology between you and the bike, no longer the direct connection of my fingers actually moving the duraillers. I've always driven a stick shift car for the same reason.
    No need to be sorry, this is a discussion of opinions. I don't believe it's a correct analogy to compare the automatic gear shifting of an automobile to the electronic shifting on a bicycle. With the electronic shifting you decide when to shift, with the automatic shifting you don't. You are still in control while using an electronic actuator to position the derailleur instead of cables .

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

BB30 and Seven

Quote Originally Posted by mgringle View Post
    I was wondering if it was worth ordering BB30 on my Axiom SL. I also was thinking of running Campy Chorus and Hollowgram cranks with the 135mm spider just to go to BB30. Is all this worth the trouble if I am not a racer? Is BB30 THAT much stiffer? I live in a hilly area and do climb often and want the BB stiff, but still want a comfortable ride for centuries.

Never having ordered a custom bike before, just can't decide what might be best for the long term. Going to the first fitting next week - can't wait to get rolling on this!
    I just got my Seven SLX a little while ago. I too agonized over the BB30 a bit. One
    thing that the bike shop owner mentioned (and he rides a Seven Carbon bike) was that
    they had some issues with creaking BB30 bottom brackets. I could tell he would prefer
    not to go that route. I too am using a full Campy Chorus groupset (now why does
    everyone have campy chorus on their seven? possibly another thread...)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I'd like to order an Axiom SL (with the new Sram RED ).
    Is there further hindsight on threaded BB vs BB30?
    By looking at the recent carbon frames the trend is Press Fit BBs (PF30, PF86 for Shimano).
    Is Seven likely to offer this option someday?
    And is it worth considering it?