Axiom SL vs Axiom SLX
    RoadBikeReview Member

Axiom SL vs Axiom SLX

Hi all - I am currently riding a Seven Axiom S that I LOVE. I split my time between two cities (work in one, live in the other) and also split my riding between the two, one on my Seven, the other on a Felt that I own. Of course I much prefer the Seven. I had a little financial gain recently that enables me to splurge on a new bike to replace the Felt. Any opinions on the SL vs SLX? Seems weight oriented? FYI I am 5'11" 165 lbs. Both places I ride are very flat, although I do ride hills on trips occasionally. All of my riding is for fun, exercise and recreation. Typical rides are 25-40 miles, alone or in small groups, riding 16-22 mph depending on how big the group is. When I spec'd my current Seven, I went "middle of the road" on just about everything.

Thanks for any thoughts or input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2010
    imo, the SL is the best of both worlds... lighter than S but stronger than SLX..

grizzly moderator
    It is weight oriented and you are riding on flat terrain; not much benefit to be realized from an ultralight frame.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    It is weight oriented and you are riding on flat terrain; not much benefit to be realized from an ultralight frame.
    Excellent point, thanks!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2009
    What would be really great experiment would be for you to have them build you an SL with the same fit/geo as you S .... and then report if there really is much difference in ride quality.

Here's how I spec'd my SL out:
    Handling - 5
    Drive Trail Rigidity - 9
    Vertical Compliance - 4
    Weight to Performance - 8

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sev...sl-266922.html

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kmak View Post
    Hi all - I am currently riding a Seven Axiom S that I LOVE. I split my time between two cities (work in one, live in the other) and also split my riding between the two, one on my Seven, the other on a Felt that I own. Of course I much prefer the Seven. I had a little financial gain recently that enables me to splurge on a new bike to replace the Felt. Any opinions on the SL vs SLX? Seems weight oriented? FYI I am 5'11" 165 lbs. Both places I ride are very flat, although I do ride hills on trips occasionally. All of my riding is for fun, exercise and recreation. Typical rides are 25-40 miles, alone or in small groups, riding 16-22 mph depending on how big the group is. When I spec'd my current Seven, I went "middle of the road" on just about everything.

Thanks for any thoughts or input.
    I have a new Axiom SLX and I weigh about 143 now. My former bike was a very stiff
    Cannondale Alum. (old model, CAAD 4).

Its light, and very comfortable but not as stiff as the Cannondale, not even close.
    How much of that is just the frame, or the bottom bracket I don't know. I have a standard bottom bracket with Campy Chorus crank etc.
    Seven does have a BB30 option I believe.

But if stiffness is an issue for climbing or sprinting I would either go with the SL or
    have Seven build the SLX with stiffness in mind. It will be heavier for sure, but
    probably not noticeable on the flat.

Of course with the money you might save on the SL vs the SLX you could shave some
    grams with more expensive components too.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I just wonder how much beefing up an SLX would detract from the advantages of buying an SLX over an SL.

I also think stiffness is being oversold in bike marketing.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan View Post
    I just wonder how much beefing up an SLX would detract from the advantages of buying an SLX over an SL.

I also think stiffness is being oversold in bike marketing.
    I agree on beefing up the SLX. Probably better to go with the SL.
    But I do feel a difference in stiffness with climbing. I use Strava
    on a number of segments that include pretty steep hills of varying length,
    and some flatter sections where I attempt to ride all out for about 6 miles.

when comparing times for the same ride segments between the two bikes
    I definitely see a big difference on the flats, though I am not sure why. I think
    its most likely the fact that the Seven is quite a bit smaller than the cannondale
    is, and much better sized for me. I likely have a more aero postion on the seven.
    And I have Zipp 101 wheels on the Seven, which are more aerodynamic than
    the mavic open pro, shallow rims on the Cdale. Definitely faster on the flats.

On the hills though, I can match the times of the cdale with the seven sometimes.
    And the Seven is probably 2 lbs lighter but not as stiff as the Cdale. I don't think the
    power transfer is as immediate as with the Cdale. Of course, at the end of the day
    the pain is not there either .
    Attached Images Attached Images