Cracked Ti frame - Issue with 7?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012

Cracked Ti frame - Issue with 7?

I have been reading a lot about cracked frames from Litespeed, Lynskey, Douglas, Merlin,etc.

Has it happened to anyone here with a Seven?

I'm planning to have a Seven.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2008
    I don't have one, yet but have spoken to a lot of owners this season. No one has had anything but praise for Seven. Haven't heard a thing about frame cracks. In fact, I ride with two Linskey owners and haven't heard them mention it either.

Where have you read "a lot" about cracked frames?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    I read them in forums and google. It turns out I cannot post photos yet because I only have 6 posts. LOL. I sure will post photos as soon as I hit 10 posts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Ok. I got my 10 posts. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I just did a google. Here are some of photos of cracked Ti frames:

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    While some of those may look like bad welds, some others don't. Without knowing all the details, it's hard to say if the cracks were caused by crashes, running into the garage door, bad wrenching, etc.

I'm into the second summer with my Lynskey Sportive and haven't had any issues. There's a big guy in my club with a three year old + Helix.

Everything breaks. Anything made by humans will have a flaw. Good quality control practices help, but everything breaks.

Google broken carbon for some fun.

Formosan Cyclocross
    All materials can be broken and I would imagine that it is possible for something to go wrong at any stage in production. If you are considering a Seven, you know they carefully select tubing to ensure quality. They also have a lifetime warranty. If, for some inexplicable reason, something goes wrong that is not the result of rider error, they would most likely replace your frame.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2004

Cracked ti

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I don't have one, yet but have spoken to a lot of owners this season. No one has had anything but praise for Seven. Haven't heard a thing about frame cracks. In fact, I ride with two Linskey owners and haven't heard them mention it either.

Pthe 2nd from bottom is Airborne?
    That's terible. What is the bottom?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/th...90-785277.html
    http://www.bikepacking.net/forum/index.php?topic=2376.0
    shaundoreenevankeen.blogspot.com
    bikerumor-lynskey releases sram red color matched limited edition helix os ti road bike

Just when i'm thimking of getting a Helix

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010

Seven frame

Quote Originally Posted by TopQuark View Post
    I have been reading a lot about cracked frames from Litespeed, Lynskey, Douglas, Merlin,etc.

Has it happened to anyone here with a Seven?

I'm planning to have a Seven.
    I have only had my Axiom SLX for about 700 miles now.
    I have not seen any cracks but its only 700 miles. I would be
    real unhappy if it did crack, that is for sure. Durability was
    one of the advantages (or so I thought) of a good TI frame.
    My fingers are crossed.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I really don't think there is any reason to keep one's "fingers crossed". The only reason you see so many cracked frames on the internet is because you search for them. Google cracked (material of choice) and you will be sure to find plenty of examples. For the most part, MOST bikes produced by any reputable manufacturer are not going to crack. Then there are a handful that do and those go on the internet. I had a scandium alloy frame crack at the HT. It was replaced. I have seen numerous CF bikes trashed. I have seen some nice steel framed bikes and aluminum bikes fail. It happens.

I still think the durability of titanium is relevant. I don't know how many times I have knocked a chainstay against something without damage I couldn't polish out with 3M pads. The bike looks new when it is not dirty.

So really, there is no idea to unnecessarily inflate the fears of potential frame failure unless you are an insurance salesman.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011

Cracked Axiom

Yes, I have a cracked Axiom. While riding on a club ride. I was sprinting up a 200 meter rise when my Seven turned into a wet noodle. Cracked all around the BB. Looked into having it repaired through Seven but is to expensive. I am the second owner. Purchased from a ex Seven employee. Loved the bike for the five years that I rode it. Very disappointed that Seven will not help me out on the repair. Needless to say I bought a used Elium. Lovin my new Seven. Hopefully it last longer than the Axiom. There is just something about Sevens that keeps me wanting to ride one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by trinch View Post
    Yes, I have a cracked Axiom. While riding on a club ride. I was sprinting up a 200 meter rise when my Seven turned into a wet noodle. Cracked all around the BB. Looked into having it repaired through Seven but is to expensive. I am the second owner. Purchased from a ex Seven employee. Loved the bike for the five years that I rode it. Very disappointed that Seven will not help me out on the repair. Needless to say I bought a used Elium. Lovin my new Seven. Hopefully it last longer than the Axiom. There is just something about Sevens that keeps me wanting to ride one.
    May I know what year was your original Seven?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2011
    I believe it is a 2000. I bought it in 2005 after it came back from Seven. The owner had Seven go through the frame and make it look new again.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011

pictures?

You have any pics of the broken frame? love to see the new bike too !

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by trinch View Post

Yeah, I thought Seven had a lifetime warranty....was it limited in some way? Why wasn't it covered in full?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    I think it's just the nature of titanium to crack when it's pushed beyond it's limits. Instead of bending it cracks. But I wouldn't think it's a real common thing. Of the thousands of Ti bikes built every year there are maybe a couple dozen pics of broken frames online. People break frames of all materials so I wouldn't let a few pics push you away from titanium. I've got an Airborne and if it fit me better I'd probably sell my carbon frame and put all of my good parts on it because it rides great and is super easy to take care of.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
    Yeah, I thought Seven had a lifetime warranty....was it limited in some way? Why wasn't it covered in full?

Warranty applies to the original owner only. Poster was not OO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2005
    Love my Aerios! Had it built in 2007. It's been glorious riding ever since. The response is crisp and the custom fitting of the frame makes it ultra comfortable. I
    Pity the bastards in British Airways decided to add a ding in the down tube. I've been eyeing repairs on the downtube but worry about the cost myself.
    The thing stayed true and not a single crack in sight.
    Although the decals have nearly all but gone.
    Last edited by Otterinaround; 12-22-2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Picked up on world travels..."AFwan La KHabrak Bess Kullal Tura'at bil muntuk Mu sh la illek Bes"
    TRANSLATION:Sorry to give you the news but all the roads in town aren't here for you alone!
    Well at least it worked in the Arabic speaking world!
    Here in Florida where they kill quite frequently the best bet is ditch the conversation and dive off the horse!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2012
    A friend of mine just cracked his 2nd hand Litespeed (Vortex). Turns out Litespeed is ignoring the "lifetime" warranty (for other original owners). His broke at the bottom bracket, due to a stress riser introduced through sloppy manufacturing. It seems this is a common problem for Litespeeds of that timeframe (~2004).

I have a 1999 Axiom, and did this google out of curiosity. My Seven has been ridden for many thousands of miles with no problems. Just wanted to post that it has been all good. Not all Ti is built the same it seems. The Seven quality is evident. I didn't quite realize how much until I had to listen to my buddy about his issues with Litespeed (sloppy construction seems to be the root cause of this rash of failures).

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Seven's design philosophy is on the mark. From tech supplement:

"Odd tube shapes (ovals, so-called geometrically enhanced tubes, squares, six-sided tubes, etc.) are becoming more and more common these days. At first glance, these shapes appear to enhance the performance of the bike. Unfortunately, in most cases,
    performance is actually compromised."

"Grain structure is what provides the strength and toughness of a material. The mill draws the tube in a specific way so that the resulting grain structure is optimized for strength and fatigue endurance. Thus, if the shape of the tube is changed, the tube's grain structure is also changed. As a result, the tubes' strength and durability are compromised."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    For sure, as others have said, no matter the material it is possible to have it fail. When talking about ultralight high performance items no matter what type; aircraft, boats, motorcycle, auto, sports gear and so on, you are trading some level of durability for the performance return. If you are buying second hand you gain a huge cost savings but that comes with some added risk and uncertainty. Which is why the Mfg won't warranty the frame. The use/abuse history of the item becomes hard to trace. There should be some advantage to buying new, right?

I've owned many of the top frames over the past 25 years + worked in several high end shops in the US. I've sold hundreds of Ti frames over my career. I stopped working in the bike business over 10 years ago but continued to be active with cycling. I am lucky to be in a position to own nearly any frame I wish. My personal material choice for a performance road frames is Ti when durability is a concern.

The Seven and Serotta Ti frames I have owned and sold all have been wonderful ridding bikes and very durable. The build quality of these frames is extreamly high. For a time I sold Lightspeed frames and we did have a few disappointing detail issues but none of the affected frames left the shop. To their credit Lightspeed corrected the problems. Not to dispute that others have had issues with Lightspeed, but that my shop/s were well treated at that time, pre 2004 as it happens.

When corners are cut in building frames to lower cost, durability often suffers. The material choice does not offset poor build quality.

Seven has been very good to deal with for years, I've personally known many Seven owners who have been delighted by the durability of their bikes. With proper care and feeding I would expect a high quality Ti frame such as a Seven to outlast the same level steel frame.

With proper abuse you can destroy even the best frames. I've known many of the top cycling brands to warranty even abused frames as customer good will. That doesn't mean they can or will always do so.

NM

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    Excellent input from someone with 25 years experience with high end bikes!

I started this thread 5 months ago after agonizing which bike manufacturer to commit to. 2 Axioms later and a 3rd Elium coming up for my daughter, I can say I really like the Sevens. Ride quality, workmanship, and precision is top notch. I can tell when installing 11 speed set-ups where tolerances are very tight. I don't expect to baby them but, from the inputs I got, cracking on Sevens is not a problem unless, of course, I abuse their use.

I have no doubt Seven will deliver in case of isolated defect on the bike. From what I can tell, I am at home with Seven for their superb customer service.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2003
    Hope I'm not resurrecting a dead thread. I'm on my second Axiom Ti frame, after the first one developed a severe crack at the bottom bracket. I'd had the bike about 6 years when this happened. It had between 40 and 50 thousand miles on it. I don't have any photos of the crack unfortunately, but it went 3/4 of the way round the down tube, emanating out of the weld at the bottom bracket. The bike was never crashed in its entire life.

Seven replaced the frame under warranty as I was the original owner - I had very good customer service with them, and they got a new frame built and shipped to me within 5 or 6 weeks. I've had the second frame for a little over 5 years now, and it is trucking along nicely. It has 30,000 + on it.

All frame materials can fail - having a company that backs up their product in the event of failure is the key thing here. Seven did right by me and I'm more than happy with their product.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalscot View Post
    Hope I'm not resurrecting a dead thread. I'm on my second Axiom Ti frame, after the first one developed a severe crack at the bottom bracket. I'd had the bike about 6 years when this happened. It had between 40 and 50 thousand miles on it. I don't have any photos of the crack unfortunately, but it went 3/4 of the way round the down tube, emanating out of the weld at the bottom bracket. The bike was never crashed in its entire life.

Seven replaced the frame under warranty as I was the original owner - I had very good customer service with them, and they got a new frame built and shipped to me within 5 or 6 weeks. I've had the second frame for a little over 5 years now, and it is trucking along nicely. It has 30,000 + on it.

All frame materials can fail - having a company that backs up their product in the event of failure is the key thing here. Seven did right by me and I'm more than happy with their product.
    This is the exact type of input i was hoping to read- thanks for posting. I own two Lynskey's and both have cracked on me! Unfortunately I'm not the original owner of either so the cost to repair is on me. The first was nominal so I had them do the work the second bike not so much and the crack seems similar to what you experienced on your location wise. The big difference is the bike has less than 9K on it.

I'm thinking of Seven for my next bike and it's nice to read how durable they are. While Lynskey has been great customer service wise I'm doubting the durability reliability of the product. I know if I buy direct from them I'm covered with the warranty but honestly I don't want to have send the bike back.

Did you go custom fit or just buy stock sizing? I'm still trying to figure what's best for me. Thx

Seeking shades of grey
    I know of one person who had a crack develop and Seven covered it under warranty at no charge. My friend's description was that Seven tended to err on the side of assuming liability and wasn't prone to argue or dispute the issue with a customer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast