Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

Going Seven, thoughts on frame build

9K views 38 replies 9 participants last post by  jeepseahawk 
#1 ·
I am about to pull the trigger and have one built, lbs faxed over my measurements and before I commit on anything would like opinions. Getting the Axiom S, I'm a clyde and like the beef in the tubes. What special requests have you guys done in the past or regrets of omitting during frame build? The bike is going to be my all around bike and mostly for club and century rides.

#33 ·
Final specs
Seat tube 48 cm
Top Tube (eff) 56.9 cm
Head tube angle 73 deg
Seat tube angle 73.5 deg
chain stay 41.3 cm
TT slope 9 deg
HT length 16.8 cm
Talking with Seven designer/fitter we came up with numbers below, still confusing but it rides like I asked. Very comfortable and soaks up the road.
handling 5
rigidity 7
vertical 3
weight to perf 7

#35 ·
Nice ride jeepseahawk! Is that the dark grey Ultegra kit? How do you like the look of it? I'm vacillating about going the standard grey vs. the dark grey. What wheel set did you end up choosing?

I finally pulled the trigger on my Axiom SL. Another set of thanks lk1965 for the etched logos idea - I went with that as well. Still waiting to confirm the final workup with my builder, but my specs so far:

Seat tube 57.5 cm
Top Tube (eff) 59.1 cm
Head tube angle 73 deg
Seat tube angle 72.5 deg
chain stay 41.7 cm
TT slope 5 deg
HT length 22.1 cm

handling 5
rigidity 9
vertical 4
w2p 9

As you might be able to tell from some of the measurements, I'm a bit of a clydesdale at 6'5" and 200 lbs. It's very challenging to put your $$$ and trust into a bike you've never ridden. My only consolation has been that I've not heard anyone that hasn't absolutely loved their new Seven bike!

#36 ·
sfsurfer, I have put 60 miles on it since Wednesday build. Today I cut the steerer to size after finally settling with what Seven recommended, they were spot on. I was worried about not riding one prior to purchase as well, let me tell you, don't worry at all. My bike rides like a cadilac, very comfortable.
I did choose dark gray with the Ultegra, was worried about light gray Ultegra not blending with the ti color, the dark splits it up perfectly for my eyes. I have two sets of wheels for it, the ones on now are Vuelta Corsa super lights without stickers (don't like them), the other set is tubeless Dura ace with silver spokes. I will swap them between my two bikes since they weigh exactly the same.
This is the Axiom S, total weight with pedals came out to 18.2 lbs, not bad with heavy cockpit and mountain spd pedals. Wasn't going for weight since I am a clyde as well, 225 at 6 ft tall.

#38 ·
jeepseahawk, how do you like the DA tubeless wheels? I'm trying to figure out what to do about my wheel set since I've got a PowerTap rear hub and was thinking about building something up around that. I ride tubeless on my MTB, but hadn't thought to go tubeless on my road since I don't flat very often. Hope you're still loving your Axiom - mine just entered machining today!

#39 ·
The bike is great, my other bike has not been touched. I just updated some small parts in blue, to bring out the color a little. Constantly get compliments out riding, the attention is overwhelming :). The dura ace tubeless wheels are nice but admit I have not gone tubeless yet. When the current tires give out I will try them, hopefully more manufactures make tubeless to get the prices down, very limited choices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.