Ordering my dream Seven
    RoadBikeReview Member

Ordering my dream Seven

Settled in on Axiom SLX (I have an Axiom S) - I don't race, bike is used for (long) rides. Ordering it with:

Enve SES 3.4 clincher wheels
    Campy Record EPS

Question is disc brakes. I really am enamored with the thought - is is the future of road bikes, after all.

What do you think? What are my options, cost no concern? Obviously Campy doesn't have an integrated disc brake option yet.

Thanks for your input.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I love disc brakes. I have had them on two other bikes and I seriously considered them on my Axiom SL. I sometimes think about a retrofit in the future…but…

I wanted a race bike with simplicity. No extra mounts. Still, discs may make it into the peloton of the future.

The thing that really hung me up on the idea is that the bike is intended to last a long time. With road discs still largely a niche market (but growing), the technology is still up in the air. Rear spacing 130mm or 135mm? Will future road discs still use the ISO standard mount? Will they be smaller rotors? The design of the bike will have to take this into account. How much material will be needed on the braking side. The next problem is finding road wheels that can handle the extra stresses. I used to have a heck of a time finding wheels with 135mm hub and strong enough for discs. I think now it is better, and if you aren't racing it gives you more options.

That said, I have been surprised with the stock Chorus brakes I am using. I do a lot of hills and I have never been in need of more braking power. I still have the original pads since 2011. They probably have another 6-10months on them. Road discs could be really great for carbon rims in the rain. Right now, I can browse wheelsets and not worry about being disc specific. Seven Just posted an SLX with road discs on their FB page. Take a look. It is a sweet looking bike.

RoadBikeReview Member
    i'm jealous.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dajianshan View Post
    I love disc brakes. I have had them on two other bikes and I seriously considered them on my Axiom SL. I sometimes think about a retrofit in the future…but…

I wanted a race bike with simplicity. No extra mounts. Still, discs may make it into the peloton of the future.

The thing that really hung me up on the idea is that the bike is intended to last a long time. With road discs still largely a niche market (but growing), the technology is still up in the air. Rear spacing 130mm or 135mm? Will future road discs still use the ISO standard mount? Will they be smaller rotors? The design of the bike will have to take this into account. How much material will be needed on the braking side. The next problem is finding road wheels that can handle the extra stresses. I used to have a heck of a time finding wheels with 135mm hub and strong enough for discs. I think now it is better, and if you aren't racing it gives you more options.

That said, I have been surprised with the stock Chorus brakes I am using. I do a lot of hills and I have never been in need of more braking power. I still have the original pads since 2011. They probably have another 6-10months on them. Road discs could be really great for carbon rims in the rain. Right now, I can browse wheelsets and not worry about being disc specific. Seven Just posted an SLX with road discs on their FB page. Take a look. It is a sweet looking bike.
    Thanks for your thoughts. A couple of observations. My current Seven has Record EPS on carbon wheels and no stopping power issues, I don't race, so thats not a problem. I am with you, I want the bike to last a long time and don't want to be thinking about retrofitting for disc brakes when they become standard - kind of scary to hear from you that the standard may not be set yet.

Also, ENVE now makes their SES 3.4 clinchers in a disc brake model; that's what I plan to put on the bike.

When I was on the phone with Seven two days ago, they pointed me to the SLX on their FB page. Made for Signature Cycles, which, IMO, is a dream bike shop.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I think you will be fine for what you are doing. The ISO standard has been around for a long time, so even if something new comes along, you won't be in need of performance brakes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Where do you live that you are dying for disc brakes? I could understand a rainy day bike with discs, but my "dream bike" certainly wouldn't have discs, unless I lived where it rained constantly and/or was a really, really, really, really poor descender. The big drawback I see to disc for high performance road , is the over built front wheel. I really like riding 1400 gram wheels.

Can they retrofit your S for disc?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    Where do you live that you are dying for disc brakes? I could understand a rainy day bike with discs, but my "dream bike" certainly wouldn't have discs, unless I lived where it rained constantly and/or was a really, really, really, really poor descender. The big drawback I see to disc for high performance road , is the over built front wheel. I really like riding 1400 gram wheels.

Can they retrofit your S for disc?
    This bike would be ridden mostly in Ohio. Rain isn't necessarily an issue. I am choosing discs because it seems that is where the market is headed, and I want this bike to last a long time - no retrofit necessary, like would be with my Axiom S.

Interesting comment you make on over-built front wheel - what is overbuilt? Like I said above, I plan on putting ENVE SES 3.4 clinchers on the bike, and their disc brake wheel set with DT240 hubs weighs 1460 grams, whereas their standard 3.4 clinchers with the same hub weighs 1482 grams.

Haven't asked about retrofitting my Axiom S.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    I didn't realize that disc wheels were made that were that light, or that expensive. If you've got the $$$, go nuts and be at the vanguard of road disc. Make sure to post pics and specs, no matter how you build up your new bike. Will a beefed up disc fork make for a less supple ride than a standard caliper brake carbon fork? I've got a friend who has a Moots with a Moots carbon fiber fork, and he says that the front end rides more rough than his old Litespeed Tuscany, which had an Easton ec90sl, and this guy weighs over 200 lbs. He's going to get an Easton EC90 sl fork someday, so we'll find out if it is the fork causing the more harsh front end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    I asked about retrofitting to disc and was quoted roughly 1700 for my Axiom S. Keeping calipers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kmak View Post
    This bike would be ridden mostly in Ohio. Rain isn't necessarily an issue. I am choosing discs because it seems that is where the market is headed, and I want this bike to last a long time - no retrofit necessary, like would be with my Axiom S.
    What ever happened to the idea of the customer influencing the market rather than the market influencing the customer?

I say let's all band together and make the choices that will keep companies from pushing disc brakes on to road bikes. Your case clearly illustrates that there is no need for disc brakes on road bikes. And disc brakes not only add more weight and components, but also ruin the beautiful, minimalist clean lines of a road bike.

Congratulations on your new Seven, BTW. I myself have an Axiom SL, and absolutely love it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepseahawk View Post
    I asked about retrofitting to disc and was quoted roughly 1700 for my Axiom S. Keeping calipers.
    Is that for just the disc tabs on the rear end & reinforcement?

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    Yes, that is correct, would need to buy new fork as well. I forgot exactly what the lady said but something about redoing more than just tabs to be correct. My bike is two years old and was curious since disc will probably be future.
    When first buying the bike there is no extra cost to add disc tabs. It might be wise to add the tab if contemplating it, get both in order to upgrade later.
    Last edited by jeepseahawk; 05-20-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Formosan Cyclocross
    I talked to a couple friends who work in the bike industry. One is the owner of a brand that produces mostly road bikes with discs or integrated brakes. The other works in management for one of the largest holding companies in the bicycle business and he has the view for the next two model years.

It appears the UCI is poised to embrace discs in the World Tour. Brian Cookson is a proponent of embracing technology. Component makers have started investing in technology to make road discs safer, lighter and more efficient. The Thru-axle system seems to be in favor. It looks like the 2016 model year is going to see a jump in discs across the board.

If you are content with the current technology that was developed for mountain bikes, you should be fine in the short to medium term. Since performance isn't your main goal, then the current offerings will probably carry you for the life of the frame. The selection may be limited in the far future, but still there. The technology for road discs will almost certainly change drastically in the medium term and long term. We are just waiting for the hand sitting to end.

RoadBikeReview Member
    UPDATE

So, a little frustration....

Frame came in last week, bike shop was assembling the bike so I could do a long planned ride on it this past weekend (Cape Cod Getaway), when they called to inform me that Seven had made a mistake in the frame design. They had located the battery for the Campy EPS in the seat tube, and the charging port was positioned right where the front derailleur clamp needed to go.

So back to the factory went the frame for a new seat tube. Should have it back in about a week, with pictures here to follow. So frustrating, the bike in the stand being assembled looked pretty sweet. Oh well.

RoadBikeReview Member
    The finished product:

Axiom SLX
    Campy Record EPS
    TRP HyRd disc brakes
    ENVE SES 3.4 disc wheels
    Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires
    ENVE carbon seat post, handle bars, fork and stem
    Garmin Vector pedals
    Selle Italia saddle

Formosan Cyclocross
    Wow, that turned out real nice. IMO, you can't beat the precision of Campy and the precision of Seven.

Be sure to give us an update when you log a few mikes on it.
    Are you willing to post your build specs?