Placement of battery pack with Ui2/Di2
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011

Placement of battery pack with Ui2/Di2

So the order for my Seven Axiom SL should be going into production soon, if it's not already. I opted for Ui2, and on my spec sheet...it is indicated that the battery pack will be located on the chainstay. I thought this was a rather odd location, as I've never seen an electronic shifting set-up with the battery pack on the chainstay. Usually they are located near the bottom bracket...or at least the ones I've seen have all been that way. I'm not sure that I really like the chainstay location, as that is where my Garmin cadence sensor goes. Plus having 2 items on the chainstay just seems like it would be too cluttered.

Has anyone else ordered an Axiom (or any other Seven bike) with electronic shifting? If so, I'd like to hear where they placed the battery pack. Thanks!

Linda

grizzly moderator
    Seven offers three locations for the battery. Inside the seat tube, on the down tube and underside the chainstay. The seat tube requires the battery to be disassembled which, IMO, is not desirable in addition to adding cost, the down tube exposes the battery to full view and the chainstay offers the more concealed arrangement. The chainstay appears to be Seven's recommended battery location for the moment. The Garmin sensor goes on the upside of the chainstay.
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Ahhh...I understand now. My spec sheet did not indicate that it was the underside of the chainstay...it just stated "chainstay", hence the reason for my confusion. I think I should be okay with the battery pack on the underside and my sensor on the topside. I'd still like to see some pics of this configuration...if anyone has any to share. Thanks!

Linda

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2011
    If the seat tube option is like the Calfee implementation, that seems like the cleanest and keeps the battery out of harms way. Didn't think of the dissasembly would be that big of an issue, unless there are warranty issues. But I understand your view - I suppose taking any electronics apart can potentially compromise the system.

grizzly moderator
    @mgringle. The price tag to disassemble the battery and install it in the seat post is $400 and it does void the battery warranty

@lk1965. This is how it looks with the Garmin sensor on top.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326585608.698456.jpg
    With bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Oh thank you, dcgriz...that is exactly the pic I was looking for!!! Doesn't look as bad as I imagined. I already gave Seven the greenlight to go ahead with this set-up, but I'm glad I had an opportunity to see what it will look like with my Garmin sensor on top. Thanks again!

Linda

grizzly moderator
    You are quite welcome Linda.I picked up mine yesterday afternoon, this morning will be the first ride.

Formosan Cyclocross
    How'd the ride go?

grizzly moderator
    The bike is a joy to ride, Andrew. When I was interviewed I asked Neil for neutral handling that is responsive but not twitchy and they delivered! It was a balmy 27 deg F when I took the bike out so I did not take it through the paces I'd like to as far as climbing and descenting go. The most speed I registered on the 45 mile moderately hilly ride i went, was 36 mph and the bike holds the line fine when cornering, it also climbs well and when I get on it, it gives me the feeling it wants to go!
    My numbers were 6 for handling, 8 for stiffness and 4 for comfort. Speaking about comfort, the bike is amazingly comfortable. My other bike is a Specialized Roubaix Pro SL3 which is a very comfortable bike to ride, the Axiom SL deadens the road bumps in a different, less snappy way. It gives the impression of smoothly rolling through them rather than bouncing over them. Chainstays are 41.7 cm, rake is 4.2 cm, wheelbase is 100.5 cm with an effective TT of 57.4 cm, ST angle of 72.5 deg and HT angle of 73 deg.
    The other remarkable point is how Seven changed my fit to a lower saddle height position at 77.8 cm (my inseam measures 89.4 cm). I put about 400 miles on a demo Axiom my LBS had to make sure this was the right thing to do before I signed the confirmation paperwork.
    I plan of doing a detailed post with the proper pictures to go along when I receive my carbon wheels later on this week and the Seven Ti stem in two weeks. I tried the bike with the aluminum stem first to make sure extension and rise are spot on before ordering the Ti.
    The Ultegra Di2 is also remarkable. I mixed it up with the Durace crank and brakes. More to follow when the brand-new-bike excitement subsides somewhat.......

Formosan Cyclocross
    Sounds excellent!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    @dcgriz - how are you liking the bike now after a few weeks? Any more pictures of the Di2 wiring?

grizzly moderator
    The bike has been a joy to ride! I have about 300 miles on it and the more I ride it, the more I like it!
    I am waiting for the Seven Ti stem to arrive, at which point we will also cut the steerer down.
    I plan to post pics when everything is done; until then here is one
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1329269047.807916.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks. Looking forward to seeing the bike when you've got it all as you want.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    @mgringle. The price tag to disassemble the battery and install it in the seat post is $400 and it does void the battery warranty

@lk1965. This is how it looks with the Garmin sensor on top.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1326585608.698456.jpg
    @dcgriz....So I tried placing my Garmin sensor the way you have yours shown in the pic...and I find that it's not quite as "stable" in that position, than it is if I position just behind the battery pack. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the battery pack is getting in the way of the zip ties or something. I'll try it again with some new zip ties and see if I can get it to sit more securely. Otherwise, I'll have to move it back a bit further.

grizzly moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by lk1965 View Post
    @dcgriz....So I tried placing my Garmin sensor the way you have yours shown in the pic...and I find that it's not quite as "stable" in that position, than it is if I position just behind the battery pack. I'm not sure why that is. Maybe the battery pack is getting in the way of the zip ties or something. I'll try it again with some new zip ties and see if I can get it to sit more securely. Otherwise, I'll have to move it back a bit further.
    I used the thinner rubber boot. The zip ties do not go around the battery mount; just around the chainstay. The unit is quite stable in the sense that there is no play whatsoever

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dcgriz View Post
    I used the thinner rubber boot. The zip ties do not go around the battery mount; just around the chainstay. The unit is quite stable in the sense that there is no play whatsoever
    Yes, I totally understand that the zip ties don't go around the battery. I have them around the chainstay, but they are wedged in underneath the battery pack which, for some reason, is creating some "play" in that location. I had originally mounted the sensor, a few inches further back, and it seemed very secure there. But when I decided to move it over the battery, now it doesn't seem to be a secure fit anymore. I'll have to see if I have the thinner rubber boot...not sure if my Garmin came with the thinner one. I'm pretty sure mine was packaged with just one type of rubber boot, and that is what I'm using.

Linda

grizzly moderator
    The cadence sensor on the crank limits the freedom of placement of the GS10 on the chainstay. Take your time in setting the contact point (rubber boot) and tie the zip ties as tight as you can. If you have the zip tie tool it will help taking the slack out of the zip ties for a snug fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    I think you may be misunderstanding me. I don't have anything placed on the actual crank. I placed my GS10 sensor in the exact location that you showed in your pic, only it keeps sliding forward and back (away from the bike/towards the wheel) in that location. Prior to that, I had placed it about 2 inches further back on the chainstay, and it seemed more secure there (but I didn't really care for how it looked...too cluttered, I guess). I will try and post some pictures to better explain.

Linda

grizzly moderator
    I should have said magnet instead of sensor for the crank, The GS10 uses two magnets. The cadence magnet is installed on the crank arm and the speed magnet is installed on one of the wheel spokes. Since the magnets can only be within 5 mm of their corresponding position on the sensor (indicated by a small line on the front of the GS10 for cadence and at the tip of the pivoting arm for speed) the placement of the GS10 on the chainstay is limited by the placement of the magnet on the crank arm. After you find where the GS10 needs to be in order for the magnets to work, wiggle it in place to make sure the sensor boot has good, solid contact with the chainstay and then zip it down. You may have to remove the wheel to get good access and pull the slack out of the zip ties although I don't believe I had to do that. After everything is done, the GS10 is firmly attached on the chainstay without any movement whatsoever.
    Last edited by dcgriz; 02-24-2012 at 04:32 AM.

grizzly moderator
    A couple of close-ups. I hope it helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Ahhh...I see. Those closeups helped...thanks! And I do see that the rubber boot you're using is significantly thinner than the one I'm using. I wonder how I can get my hands on one of the thinner ones, as my Garmin unit did not come packaged with the thinner one. Do you know if the Garmin site sells those separately?

Linda

grizzly moderator
    I have bought 2 additional GS10s and they all came with both of the boots. I have not seen the boots offered separately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Can I ask...where did you buy your additional GSC-10 sensors? I just checked the packaging that came with mine (bought it over a year ago from Pro Bike Kit), and could not find the thinner rubber boot. Maybe I'll just buy another sensor and use it on my Cannondale but use the thinner rubber boot on the Seven.

grizzly moderator
    Office Depot and Amazon. Here is a pic with the extra boot to see if that's what you got. It's not wide enough for the thickness of the chainstay tube.
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2011
    Ahhh...yes! That's the one I'm using now. That's probably why it's not sitting securely on the chainstay...it's not wide enough. Duh! I'll take it off and try it that way. Thanks for the pics!

Linda