Seven Axiom SL Build (Official Pics)
    Formosan Cyclocross

Seven Axiom SL Build (Official Pics)

Okay... I ordered the Fulcrum Racing 1 wheelset in b/w, but the red ones arrived by mistake, so those will be a while and you'll just have to imagine.

Otherwise, here's how the build turned out:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2008
    Very classy build, I like!

Darling of The Lounge
    I'm so lusting over your bike in such a naughty way

Formosan Cyclocross
    Thanks!

He he!! Wait till the new wheels arrive. I would have waited to post, but the weather was too nice yesterday to pass up a Sunday photo shoot.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Classy with a hint of gentlemen

I can only recommend changing the carbon spacer to silver aluminium.

Formosan Cyclocross
    Thanks!

I had alloy spacers in there before, but it didn't look right. I thought the CF spacers would provide a little continuity with the fork and highlight the metal.

The hint of gentleman... heh! Little does anyone know...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2004
    Alternatively, you can do a 2 tones spacer. Similarly to this

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21006055101168

Or Moot Ti spacer may provide continuity with the frame color. Or from your local source

http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21011110996461
    http://search.ruten.com.tw/search/s0...9%D4%B0%E9&c=0

Formosan Cyclocross
    Well... it is in the right area code, but maybe not quite what I'm looking for.

Parlee fan!
    Nice build! I'm going overboard and picturing your ride with 38 or 45 deep carbon wheels

Joe
    Ow.. ow.. oww... CRAMP!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011

Axiom SL

Super nice bike. How does she ride? I'm in the process of getting a seven myself. However, I'm debating between the S and the SL and their price difference. How did you decide on the SL? Do you suppose one could tell differecne in the ride? I'm 185lbs, x-cat 3 racer, BTW.
    Seven is drawing the plans out right now, so I think I have time to upgrade to the SL if I'm compelled to. This is tough...

Formosan Cyclocross
    Thanks! The ride feels like it came right out of my imagination. When I have those free moments to day dream about a perfect ride... that is it. It should be the same for you as well.

In choosing the Axiom SL:

First, I wanted the durability of titanium and I am not into carbon, so the Axiom was easy.

The guys at the shop brought out an Axiom SLX, and it was great. The full bike weighed in at 14.3kg.

I weigh 140 to 145 and I have a tendency to put a lot of power down for my size. I am pretty hard on bikes. I like light, but I like stiff and stable. My prior ride was a scandium alloyed aluminum (a tad too thin). I sometimes ride with some pretty hard riders, ex-pros, factory test riders, national team members. Then I also do hard, solo long distance with a ton of climbing. I have a few hard races planned for the year. I like snap and road feel. I was pretty torn between SL and SLX. I contacted Seven on the matter and they suggested the SL would give them more flexibility to tune my ride to hit the characteristics I prefer. I was aiming for something like the old Axiom Race, but with a tad more in the way of comfort for long races and endurance riding.

The bike is very well balanced. The descent is flawless. Standing on the pedals is very stiff. It rides a lot like my old alloy bike, without the bite. The bike feels grounded. I imagine the S should be whatever you want, but the difference may be a pound to a pound and a half in weight. Double check with Seven. They suggested a cheaper model between the frames I was considering, so I don't think they'd bump you up just to make more money.

Good luck and be sure to post the results. You can see my parameters in one of the posts below.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the info Dajianshan. It appears that the Seven interview/custom kit really got you on the ideal bike. Also, not upselling you is a big deal too. Custom is awesome. I think I will probably stay with the S because of the money and also I'm a bigger guy. Seven said that for lighter guys the SL and SLX are a lot more tunable to get the right fit and feel. Thanks again.

Formosan Cyclocross
    The new wheels finally arrived. Fulcrum Racing 1s. I gave them a good test today and I am very impressed. The bike now rides with a crispness that I was lacking.

A lot less genteel than the black spoked wheels.

Now my build is finally done.

Compare:
    Attached Images Attached Images

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2010
    I like the white bar tape, saddle and silver finish stem - they relieve the black and grey appearance and it gives me ideas for improving the look of my Axiom. Lovely build.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I know this is probably the most trivial part on the bike, but where did you get the bar tape? I would love to have that on my bike in reversed colors. The bike looks awesome btw.

Edit, is this what you have only reversed?
    http://www.fizik.it/product.aspx?c=Bar-Tapes

Formosan Cyclocross
    Yeah. That should be the one. AT first it felt hard, but now I am totally used to it.