Seven Cycles Dealer in MA - Which one?
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004

Seven Cycles Dealer in MA - Which one?

Hi folks, I'm interested in a Seven (Axiom? we'll see how my body likes the geometry), pulled up a list of Seven dealers, and am wondering if you've had positive/negative experiences at any one of these shops. I'd like to go to a shop w/ a longstanding history of good customer service.

Ace Wheelworks, Located in Somerville MA
    Arcadian Shop, Located in Lenox MA
    Belmont Wheelworks, Located in Belmont MA
    Bicycle Alley, Located in Worcester MA
    Bicycle World (MA), Located in Greenfield MA
    Bike Barn, Located in Whitman MA
    Competitive Edge, Located in East Long Meadow MA
    Cycle Loft Inc, Located in Burlington MA
    Landry`s Bicycles-Danvers, Located in Danvers MA
    Landry`s Bicycles- Natick, Located in Natick MA
    Landry`s Bicycles- Norwood, Located in Norwood MA
    Landry`s Bicycles- Westboro, Located in Westboro MA
    Southampton Bicycle Center, Located in Southampton MA
    The Spoke, Located in Williamstown MA

I'd really appreciate feedback about any of the shops.

Thanks!
    SB

O2bfasterstrongerbetter
    Quote Originally Posted by santabarbara
    Hi folks, I'm interested in a Seven (Axiom? we'll see how my body likes the geometry), pulled up a list of Seven dealers, and am wondering if you've had positive/negative experiences at any one of these shops. I'd like to go to a shop w/ a longstanding history of good customer service.

Ace Wheelworks, Located in Somerville MA
    Arcadian Shop, Located in Lenox MA
    Belmont Wheelworks, Located in Belmont MA
    Bicycle Alley, Located in Worcester MA
    Bicycle World (MA), Located in Greenfield MA
    Bike Barn, Located in Whitman MA
    Competitive Edge, Located in East Long Meadow MA
    Cycle Loft Inc, Located in Burlington MA
    Landry`s Bicycles-Danvers, Located in Danvers MA
    Landry`s Bicycles- Natick, Located in Natick MA
    Landry`s Bicycles- Norwood, Located in Norwood MA
    Landry`s Bicycles- Westboro, Located in Westboro MA
    Southampton Bicycle Center, Located in Southampton MA
    The Spoke, Located in Williamstown MA

I'd really appreciate feedback about any of the shops.

Thanks!
    SB

I'm actually in the same boat but I think I'm going to head north. No sales tax in NH. On a $5k+ bike that sales tax hit is a substantial chunk of change. The options are far more limited up there so I'll probably duck in and get a feel for how competent they are before really committing.

As for the guys on your list. The only shop I've had experience with is Ace. It's a decent shop. They carry a truckload of high end lines so that might be a good thing or a bad thing depending on your perspective. They are also one of the few shops in the Boston area that consistently have the high end odds and ends I'm always hunting for ... specific tires, stems, chains, etc. I've been about 50/50 on getting good help from the staff. Some of them are really solid dudes and don't care what your level of participation in the sport is. Others have the obvious shop guy cynicism towards anyone they think isn't a serious racer or at least pretending to be. This is such a strange phenomenon in my mind considering where the vast majority of their profits come from, but that's another thread.

I would recommend going in and just start talking to them about Seven's and see what impression they give you. Maybe just mention that you're thinking about getting one and see where it goes from there.
    "Words are a heavy thing...they weigh you down. If birds talked, they couldn't fly." Sy Rosen and Christian Williams, Northern Exposure, On Your Own, 1992

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2004
    dub, thanks for the info. i didn't know that there's no sales tax in NH. are there any particular shops you're looking at up in NH? we may just have to go in together on this - who knows, maybe we can both get a nice price cut. ;)

SB

classiquesklassieker

Comments

I've only been to the two Wheelworks stores, and Cycleloft in Burlington. The Wheelworks in Belmont has lots of bike bling, and their fitter Andrew is pretty good. Cycle Loft has excellent service also, but I don't know anybody who's had a serious fit there. Cycle Loft is more relaxed because it's father away from Beantown, so they put no pressure on you and the staff are happy to spend a lot of time with you.

Not that the Wheelworks stores are not friendly, but they get mobbed from time to time. The Ace guys are super-nice, and is in my neighborhood. They get some of my business when I'm too lazy to schlep over to Farinas which is my usual shop.

Hill repeats, meh
    This is probably a little late and not too much help. On that list I've only been to the Wheelworks store. I bought a few bikes from the Belmont store over the years, which I would say have been good to O.K. experiences. A friend of mine bought his Seven from the Landry's in Danvers - he wasn't happy.

Andrew
    Last edited by Major Kong; 01-10-2005 at 03:57 PM. Reason: grammar, again
    "Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the war room." -- President Merkin Muffley (Peter Sellers) in Dr. Strangelove

classiquesklassieker
    Can you elaborate why he wasn't happy with his purchase at Landry's?

Aug 2004

Try Landry's in Natick

Landry's sponsors my club and they have been very good to me. The only store that I can vouch for is the Natick store. They have a new location on rt 9. If you do visit there ask for the manager. His name is Mark Gray and he is a wonderful resource.

I also frequent Belmont wheelworks and CylceLoft, which are both good shops. Wheelworks cannot be beat for inventory, knowledge, and the mechanics. Carlos at wheelworks built up Tyler Hamilton's Trek TT prototype bike in 2000. They are the best around, but you can get lost there because it does get hectic at times. This time of year is a great time to get extra attention there.

If it's convienient for you, I suggest stopping in to see Mark at the Natick Landry's. Better yet call and make an appt with him. Tell him that Jack for the MRC sent you. He'll take good care of you.