Which Seven for me??

Nov 2004

Which Seven for me??

Hi All,

Thanks for all the response on my other thread about Litespeeds. I'm also interested in Seven.

I have the Seven models chosen down to two, the Odonata and the Axiom. Nearest I can tell, they are the same frame except the Odonata has carbon for the seat stays and the seat tube.

I'm 46 yrs old, 5'7", 160 lbs. My typical rides are 40-50 miles on hilly routes. I average about 18-19 mph on rolling terrain by myself and can ride in a paceline up to about 22 mph. I've ridden a Cannondale R2000 with Mavic Open Pros for the last 5 years and like the acceleration, but am tired of the road vibration. I've been thinking about either Ti or Carbon. I want my next bike to be able to soak up more of the road vibration and enable me to ride longer and not feel beat up. I will probably never race but I'd like to go faster and longer than my current rides.

Which of these Sevens do you think would suit me best?

Thanks,
    Mike

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2003

Thumbs up Axiom experience

I bought an axiom this year, moving up from colnago master and b4 that frejus steel ie comfy rides. The axiom is superior not just for lightness of course but handling and ride. I have the Seven woundup fork which some folks look askance at but it handles! - downhill fast cornering is excellent. Mavic open pros, all campy record, running Mich.prorace tires. I have no complaint and don't have to worry about banging up the fiber stays. Bulletproof. I have 2000 miles on it. I ride from 20 to 70 miles at a crack, many hills (SF Bay) and many bumpy roads. 58yrs and still climbing!

Nov 2004

Steel Sevens arn't bad either

My LBS sells Seven bikes and I had an opportunity to go test ride a few this past week. I rode an TI Axiom and a Steel Axiom on the same 5 mile route (rolling hills, flat bumpy road and up/down an average hill for Oakland California). They both had the same "Seven rating numbers".

The only difference I could tell between the two bikes was ti frame was more responsive than the steel. They were both MUCH smoother to ride than my Aluminum Cannondale. Handling was solid on both. If your looking at the Odonata then it doesn't sound like the cost is an issue, but for guys like me the steel Seven didn't seem like much of a "step down" from Ti.

my 2 cent worth....

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakboy
    My LBS sells Seven bikes and I had an opportunity to go test ride a few this past week. I rode an TI Axiom and a Steel Axiom on the same 5 mile route (rolling hills, flat bumpy road and up/down an average hill for Oakland California). They both had the same "Seven rating numbers".

The only difference I could tell between the two bikes was ti frame was more responsive than the steel. They were both MUCH smoother to ride than my Aluminum Cannondale. Handling was solid on both. If your looking at the Odonata then it doesn't sound like the cost is an issue, but for guys like me the steel Seven didn't seem like much of a "step down" from Ti.

my 2 cent worth....
    personal opinion is to stick with TI if you go Seven. I've never been too impressed by the steel bikes I've seen of theirs. For the money I think you can do better in steel with a number of other builders.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

May 2002
    I have had my Ti Axiom for a few months now and can safely say it was the best choice I could have made. Have no more bike lust and just love that it was built just for me. Jumped on it for my final fitting and it felt perfect. The process is a little lengthy, depending on when you order, but the finished product is well worth the wait.

You can customize everything, from plushness of the ride to stiffness of the drive train.

I commute everyday on the bike and have done a few centuries on it. It has been fantastic through it all.

I was debating between the steel and Ti, rode both, and the Ti was far superior in my mind. Better road feel and stiffness and no worries about rust.

I was riding a 5200 OCLV and the Axiom rides just as stiff but, IMHO, feels better on the rough stuff.

Another advantage, if you don't get it painted, is that it can be buffed to a new shine for little cost, no worries about paint scratches.

Sorry if this was a little rambling, its early still.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2005
    I dont think you'll go wrong with either bike. Im a huge fan of 7.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nov 2004
    Thanks for the advice. I wound up getting the Axiom. I've been through the fitting process and the bike is now in production. I'll let you know when I get it. Spec'd it out with a mix of DA and Ultegra parts. Easton ec-90SLX fork, EA-70 stem, EC-70 seatpost, and ec-90 equipe OS bars. San Marco Aspide saddle, Chris King headset and Ksyrium SSL SC wheelset. I can't wait!!!