2017 Shimano Dura-Ace Di2? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Migen21 View Post
    I'm still a little unclear about the function of the new BT wireless units vs the new battery. Which one is required to make use of the new mobile app? I'm assuming the battery?

I don't particularly care about pairing the with my phone via bluetooth for sensor data, as I use an ANT+ head unit, and my current D-Fly does that just fine.

I'm assuming I don't really need the newer BT wireless unit at all? Just the new battery?
    Both new units are required. You have to replace both the battery and the d-fly unit. If you don't have a d-fly unit now you have to at least get a 111 now as well as the new battery.

You need both. Says them. Nobody I know has tested it all out yet though.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    That's interesting.

I talked to the inventory guy at my LBS. They have the new batteries, but he no idea when the wireless units will be available.

He said the dealer site has the EW-WU101 listed as 'out of stock' with no estimate on availability, and the EW-WU111 is not even listed as an available item.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2014
    In a bit of irony, one of my older Di2 batteries isn't holding a charge as well as I'd like, so I stopped by the shop to pick up a new one.

They only have the new BT-DN110 di2 batteries in stock. Hrm.. same plug, same shape, mounts the same.. should work..

So I get it home and plug it in, and it powers the system. Everything works, including the old ANT+ Dfly (it came with about 25% charge), so I figure I should connect up the E-Tube software and make sure it has the latest firmware on it.

No joy. The "current" E-Tube project software for Windows doesn't recognize the new battery.

I can't use the new IPAD ONLY software without the new WU110/WU111 wireless units (which aren't currently available), and the current E-Tube software doesn't work. This means no firmware version check for this battery until the new WU's are available. Oh, and apparently they aren't stocking the old batteries any more. I could probably find one somewhere, but honestly, Id rather they just start shipping the damned WU's that work with the batteries they are stocking. This is my one major gripe with Shimano. Odd release dates and availability, especially with newer stuff like this.

Fortunately, this isn't a huge problem. My old battery still works well enough, and the new battery seems to function just fine in terms of taking a charge and powering the system.

Also, here is the latest E-Tube Compatibility Chart if anyone is interested.

http://e-tubeproject.shimano.com/pdf....0.0-01-EN.pdf

And yes, it shows that the new battery is in fact compatible with my 9070 shifters and 6870 derailleurs. So hopefully no meltdowns.

EDIT: The E-Tube Project web page lists two versions of E-Tube software for windows. V 3.x shows up as "XT Di2 Only" (I don't own any XT Di2), and V 2.11.1 (which is what I was using) is for everything else.

Well, on a whim, I uninstalled 2.11.1 and installed the "XT Only" version, and sho-nuff, it recognizes the new battery and all of my components. It also had firmware updates ready for my old D-Fly, and the new battery. I'm *really* curious to see if my IPad will recognize the D-Fly after this firmware update. Edit: And to no ones surprise, the answer is 'nooooooooooooooooooo.......'
    Last edited by Migen21; 09-06-2016 at 08:47 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Did you update the firmware on your battery to 4.03? I did the same as you with the 3.0 software and my battery didn't like the firmware.

Forever a Student
    Quote Originally Posted by sund View Post
    Did you update the firmware on your battery to 4.03? I did the same as you with the 3.0 software and my battery didn't like the firmware.
    I did. No problems at all. Updated the rear mech at the same time.

I did the same as above. First thing I did was go into control panel and uninstall etube and all of it's info. After it was gone, I then downloaded the 3.0.1 version and installed it. It immediately recognized the new battery.

Oh, I had the computer disconnected from the internet, not sure if that matters, doubt it does.

I updated firmware on the new bluetooth battery and the rear mech no issues. Tried setting up synchro-shift but it currently is requiring you to have one of those MTB shifter things. So for now just a basic firmware update and everything is working good.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the info. I had to get a new battery and I'm hesitant to do an upgrade.

Forever a Student
    If you have the new battery and it is working fine, but you don't feel like updating firmware, don't. Don't worry about it. The new battery is useless outside of being a battery right now anyway. It has bluetooth but it only talks to a second small wireless unit that's not available yet. Once that thing comes out, the little inline guy, and you get that, that's when you'll want to be updating all of the firmware on everything. By then they'll have it all sorted anyway probably and be on 3.1 or something.
    use a torque wrench

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123