RS685 with Jagwire hoses...
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007

RS685 with Jagwire hoses...

I know Jagwire doesn't have a specific fit kit for the RS685 or 785 brakes, so I was wondering if anyone has experimented with one of the mountain quick fit kits? I was looking at the HFA301 kit for the older xtr975/xt775 brakes. Since both the caliper and levers are female threaded on the RS685, this kit looked like the closest fit.
    If not, has anyone else heard of other aftermarket hose kits for these brakes?

Reason: I want to use a different colored hose, something other than black. My bike is already murdered out, needs some pop.

Get me to In&Out
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage View Post
    I know Jagwire doesn't have a specific fit kit for the RS685 or 785 brakes, so I was wondering if anyone has experimented with one of the mountain quick fit kits? I was looking at the HFA301 kit for the older xtr975/xt775 brakes. Since both the caliper and levers are female threaded on the RS685, this kit looked like the closest fit.
    If not, has anyone else heard of other aftermarket hose kits for these brakes?

Reason: I want to use a different colored hose, something other than black. My bike is already murdered out, needs some pop.
    Just noticed on the Jagwire 2016 website that they list the RS685 lever and R785 brakes as compatible with the NFA301 quit fit kit. I am going to call and verify this on Tuesday.
    Cyclists really need to learn a little Rule #5.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Interesting, I would have thought it was the hfa310 kit because the face of the shimano needle is flat, not convexed as on the jagwire needle...

Get me to In&Out
    Just got this today. You were half right. I just ordered the parts today, and will post a follow up.
    The HFA301 kit is not compatible with the Shimano RS685/R785 systems. While we are working on getting a kit spec'd for those brakes, there are options available currently depending on which Shimano caliper you have.

Initially, Shimano released the brake sets with a BR-R785 caliper, where the hose connects via a 90-degree banjo fitting. If this is the caliper you have, you can use an HFA306 Quick Fit kit (Mountain Pro Quick-Fitâ„¢ Adaptor Kits | Jagwire). But, instead of using the included compression nut and needle insert, you would need to replace them with HFA303 nuts and HFA304 needles (Combo Kit Refills | Jagwire). The ones included in the HFA306 kit are not correct for the ST-RS685 levers.

If you have the newer BR-RS785 calipers, which have a 0-degree straight fitting, then you can start with an HFA310 Quick-Fit kit that includes correct caliper-side fittings. But again, it would require replacing the compression nut and needle insert as above to make them compatible with your levers.

Like I said, we are in the process of creating a fitting kit specifically for those brakes, but it will be some time before they are available for sale. I hope this information helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by spookyload View Post
    Just got this today. You were half right. I just ordered the parts today, and will post a follow up.
    Yeah, they sent me that same response. But the face of the needles supplied by shimano are flat, not convexed like the hfa304. I tried fitting the shimano needles into the jagwire hose but the I.D. of the Jagwire is smaller than that of shimano.

I would question them about the difference in physical appearance of the needles. I would think the HFA307 refill kit is what we'd want...

Get me to In&Out
    Little update. The LBS just called Jagwire. Of course they didn't answer and the LBS got the email response 2 days later like I did. Long story short, they actually don't have stock of the HFA 303 or 304. They had a few on warranty replacement stock they are sending. I was able to find both online from RCZ Bike Shop in Luxembourg. They were cheap there, so I ordered a few of each just in case the ones the LBS is getting me works. I also found the parts on ebay from TeamSSX in Taiwan. No other source I could find for the 303 or 304. Will keep you posted.
    JAGWIRE 2015 Spare Parts : Pair Compression Nuts for Shimano (JA7414)(HFA303) RCZ Bike Shop
    TEAMSSX New Jagwire Compression Nut for Shimano HFA303 | eBay

Get me to In&Out
    Parts just came from Jagwire. The heads are definitely rounded. Dan from Jagwire said these are the parts, so I will give it a shot. If it leaks like a beast, I will repost. Plan-b is forcing the Shimano insert into the Jagwire hose. I read that heating the insert facilitates this. Hope it doesn't come to that though.
    Last edited by spookyload; 02-02-2016 at 04:26 PM.

Get me to In&Out
    Here are some pictures of the rear install.

Attachment 312129

Attachment 312130

And these are the parts I got from Jagwire.

Attachment 312131

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm curious if the HFA303 worked for you?