Is Shimano 2300 any good - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by skitorski View Post
    Internal cable routing ??
    The bike in the pic hasn't yet been cabled - notice the brake in the background, sans a cable housing.

Sora and Tiagra still have exposed der cables. Not necessarily a bad thing, IMO.

.je
    RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a bike with 2300, and it always works perfectly when it's maintained, like anything Shimano does.

As long as you're not in a hurry to shift and don't have delusions of winning the Giro d'Italia it's easy to use. I do like that it's basic and I don't have to worry much about it. You're not losing ground from only having 8 speeds. I think, from observation, that the only difference between 2300 and the old Sora was in the detents of the shifter mechanisms (and the cassette), every other part was the same item except maybe for labelling. It looks like the new Sora uses the same mechanical parts too.

The only concern I've ever had is that the FD can be sometimes tricky and slow to shift to the big ring. I think it's really because the FD cage is flat metal without stiffening features, that bends from the force of shifting up, so doesn't reach the big ring quickly in all combinations. Per Sheldon Brown, just bend it back straight and it works again.

I hope you've made good use of the past 2.5 years and decided if this group was a good fit for you!
    Last edited by .je; 05-20-2013 at 04:14 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    I know this thread is kind of old but looking at the Allez...comparing the $770 Compact with the 2300 group and the $940 Sport with the Sora and carbon fork...I'd take the Sport any day of the week. You're getting some good value for just $170 more In the Allez, you have to drop $1100 to get into a Tiagra setup and $1700 to get into a full 105 group. That's quite the difference when compared to $170 extra.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Typetwelve View Post
    I know this thread is kind of old but looking at the Allez...comparing the $770 Compact with the 2300 group and the $940 Sport with the Sora and carbon fork...I'd take the Sport any day of the week. You're getting some good value for just $170 more In the Allez, you have to drop $1100 to get into a Tiagra setup and $1700 to get into a full 105 group. That's quite the difference when compared to $170 extra.
    I agree, but since this thread was started Specs Allez lineup has changed and Sora has been upgraded to 9 speed and employs inner/ outer levers.

Of course, some would argue that another $160 for Tiagra (10 speed) is well worth the cost. After that, (I think) diminishing returns sets in with a $600 gap between Tiagra and 105 (plus the E5 frame, IIRC).

EDIT: Just took a quick look at the lineup.. There's the Allez Comp with a mix of Tiagra/ 105 (shifters) and E5 for $1450. A good go between for someone not willing to make the $600 jump to the Race with a full CF fork, Smartweld ans OSBB.
    Last edited by PJ352; 05-19-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: addition..

Cycling induced anoesis
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry626 View Post
    How about durability? I am not that handy when it comes to bikes, and would like to avoid part upgrades/replacement.
    Shimano's track record is quite good in that regard.. even with its lower end groupsets.

Just keep the drivetrain cleaned/ lubed and replace wearables (chain, cassette, chainrings) as needed and you'll get tens of thousands of miles out of them.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry626 View Post
    How about durability? I am not that handy when it comes to bikes, and would like to avoid part upgrades/replacement.
    Like most have said, Shimano is good to go. They make quality components. You'll miss some fit and finish, weight loss and possibly some smoothness is shifting but going down the line with Shimano stuff doesn't mean losing reliability.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Like most have said, Shimano is good to go. They make quality components. You'll miss some fit and finish, weight loss and possibly some smoothness is shifting but going down the line with Shimano stuff doesn't mean losing reliability.
    Well put...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013

Re: Is Shimano 2300 any good

And next year the 2300 goes away and is replaced by an 8 speed with dual levers rather than thumb. At that point it's almost entirely "pick a price".

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PJ352 View Post
    Well put...
    Before a few months ago, I have never messed with the 2300. A good friend bought the entry Allez with that group and we had our first group ride. The entire time, his bike was missing shifts and dragging on the rear derailleur. Once we finished the ride, I put his bike up on my bike rack and adjusted everything, it took to adjustments well and shifted like a champ once I was finished. Like most have said, save the thumb shifters, something I am definitely not a fan of, the group seems well made and shifting is reliable.

If that was the only group in someone's budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Cycling induced anoesis
    Before a few months ago, I have never messed with the 2300. A good friend bought the entry Allez with that group and we had our first group ride. The entire time, his bike was missing shifts and dragging on the rear derailleur. Once we finished the ride, I put his bike up on my bike rack and adjusted everything, it took to adjustments well and shifted like a champ once I was finished. Like most have said, save the thumb shifters, something I am definitely not a fan of, the group seems well made and shifting is reliable.

If that was the only group in someone's budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.
    Agree on the thumb tabs, but now they're gone.

Re: performance, I always say, a lower end groupset that's been properly installed, set up and tuned will outperform a higher end one that isn't every time.

Where's that GPS?
    Anyone know where to get brakehoods for 2300? Want to get rid of my stock black. Thanks.
    1980's - Centurion
    1990's - Peugeot
    2000's - Specialized
    2010's - Bianchi

''This story was so perfect for so long. It's this myth, this perfect story, and it wasn't true.'' - Lance Armstrong

"Treks trying to look like Bianchis, that's sooooo cute!" Participant at a Century Ride

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017

Question

Hi guys. Just wonder if Shimano ST2300 shifters can be compatible with Shimano Acera 8 speed rear derailleur. Another question is - will to work with 3sp front chainwheel? I want to make cyclocross bike from my rigid Apollo Trace 20. Thank you.
    velosiped-apollo-trace_20_hv_2016-1500x1000.jpg

Banned Sock Puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by irybka View Post
    Hi guys. Just wonder if Shimano ST2300 shifters can be compatible with Shimano Acera 8 speed rear derailleur. Another question is - will to work with 3sp front chainwheel? I want to make cyclocross bike from my rigid Apollo Trace 20. Thank you.
    I'm pretty sure most older Shimano road and mountain bike shifters and derailleurs are cross compatible. It may not be optimal and shift quite as smoothly, but it should work.

On the newest two generations of Shimano, they changed the actuation ratios and nothing plays nice with anything else.
    "COMPLACENCY IS LETHAL - VOTE in November." - System Shock.

"With
    bicycles in particular, you need to separate between what's merely true and what's important."
    -- DCGriz, RBR.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Lombard View Post
    I'm pretty sure most older Shimano road and mountain bike shifters and derailleurs are cross compatible. It may not be optimal and shift quite as smoothly, but it should work.

On the newer generations of Shimano, they changed the actuation ratios and nothing plays nice with anything else.
    Thanks a lot for your answer! I will try anyway, and let you guys know how it work. Thank you.

Cranky Old Bastard
    Quote Originally Posted by irybka View Post
    velosiped-apollo-trace_20_hv_2016-1500x1000.jpg
    Wait...not as simple as it seems.

I bought a new cross bike 3 years ago with the 2303 (3x8) components (exactly what you need).
    1. Do you have the 2303 shift/brake levers already? I did a quick search and didn't find any available for less than a fortune. They've been replaced with the Claris 2403.
    2. Do you know that you can put an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette on your rear hub? Instead of buying the 3x8 levers you should see how much more it would cost for Sora 9-speed or Tiagra 10-speed levers and a matching cassette. They would all work with the derailleurs and crankset you have now-if you make sure you get the triple chainring levers.
    "When you know absolutely nothing, anyone who knows 1% more than nothing sounds like an expert."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy99CL View Post
    Wait...not as simple as it seems.

I bought a new cross bike 3 years ago with the 2303 (3x8) components (exactly what you need).
    1. Do you have the 2303 shift/brake levers already? I did a quick search and didn't find any available for less than a fortune. They've been replaced with the Claris 2403.
    2. Do you know that you can put an 8, 9 or 10 speed cassette on your rear hub? Instead of buying the 3x8 levers you should see how much more it would cost for Sora 9-speed or Tiagra 10-speed levers and a matching cassette. They would all work with the derailleurs and crankset you have now-if you make sure you get the triple chainring levers.
    Thanks for your reply.

I was asking about ST-2300 because my best friend suggest me to pick them up free of charge (he has one set used for hundred km only). If i will buy new Sora or Tiagra shifters they will cost me 200-300$ - almost the same as a half price of my bike. I don't think this is a good idea. That's why i was interesting about this old shifter to be compatible with my current transmission.
    Now i see that i will have only two speeds in front, instead of three as the chainwheel is. And i think this is a little problem...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12